“Comfortable, Affordable and Great Coffee” 4 of 5 stars

Texas Inn
845 N Expressway 77/83, Brownsville, TX 78520 (Formerly Rose Garden Inn)   |
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Brownsville
San Antonio, Texas
“Comfortable, Affordable and Great Coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Rose Garden was very nice for not having any reservation. I found it to be clean and comfortable. It had everything I needed for the weekend...bed, lite breakfast, laundry room and near the places I needed to go. I, also, found it would be good for doing business in Brownsville with the Texas Workforce Commission, South Texas Behavioral Health and other Training and Educational Sites and Institutions including BISD and the University of Texas.

Room Tip: Coffee Served 24/7...ground floor near the Roses!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Rose G, Manager at Texas Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your feed back and for letting us provide you with our hospitality. Hope to see you back.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Victoria, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed this weekend and got 800.00 dollars stolen by the housekeeper lady will reveal her name later... She accepted she had my daughters Ipod, filed police report, another housekeeping ladey literally abused me verbally, will sue this place and will make them refund me what they stold....If I was you I would not stay there.....I have proof of eveything, tried to talk to the manager but he is a rude man who does not care at all.....police took Ipod away from lady, but still there are 450.00 pending to get back......Not a good place to stay at all...Have pictures of lady but will reveal later that way everyone can see who she is...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

... idk what room the people who rave about this place had... our bed was so saggy/creaky, our cable didnt work and they wouldnt fix it, so i had too, our room didnt get touched by hk the entire 5 days.. we had to ask for towels i asked at 9, it was 1130 still no towels.. the room smelled disgusting.. on the bright side the breakfast was good, and the pool looked clean enough (when you hear that this is close enough to south padre, dont stay, just stay on spi)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Sturgis, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

We booked our reservations online based on the pictures on the website. I by no means was expecting a 4 star hotel, but when we arrived and checked in the rooms were no where near what was depicted. Our room was unmade, with shopping bags stacked up in the room. I went back to the office, they switched our room to a room with carpet that was stained, the room smelled bad, the air conditioner was blowing warm air, and was set at the coolest setting possible. We returned to the office, had the charges reversed on our credit card and departed. This is not a place I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

I tried booking thru their website. But at the same time I was shopping other hotels in the area. When I went back to book the rate, it said my session had exceeded 30 mins and to start search over. I did. My browser was accepting cookies. But every time I did the room search over, it kept saying my session had expired. (I am very computer savvy - the fault was not at my end and I had no prob like this on other hotel sites)
Want to stay here? Call. Don't use their website...unless you book quick!

Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Hondo, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Rooms were clean, neat and just what we were looking for. We wanted to go to South Padre Island without having to pay the island prices and we went to Mexico as well. Took our grandkids to the Gladys Porter Zoo and they loved it. The breakfast was more than continental with hot food as well. The restaurant manager went out of her way to help with the kids and was so friendly she made you feel right at home. Cudos to her for loving her job and letting it show!! We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — clean and easy to access
  • Disliked — TV - more channels would be great
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, IL, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

I had to find a hotel in Brownsville for work and had been told some no-so-good things about some nicer places so I went ahead and booked the Best Western based on the favorable reviews on this site.

To be honest, the rave reviews I read seem to be suspect. Yes, the hotel can be considered "clean" (no blatant stains to notice), but the pool was not any better than your typical motel pool. The breakfast was edible but not remarkable. When I arrived at my room after check-in, I was greeted by a strong chemical odor coming from the room, as was my business partner in his room next door. We both had to keep our doors propped open for a while to let the odor dissipate. Also, the parking lot was overrun with large, loud birds that sat in the trees. They were quite noisy and obnoxious. The rooms themselves were passable, but not noteworthy.

I guess for $50 per night, people might be impressed. But if you are reading reviews based on Brownsville hotels popularity standings on this site, be aware that at $50 per night, you still get what you pay for. Don't be fooled into thinking this property is some sort of "oasis" right off the highway.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business

Been to Texas Inn? Share your experiences!