“Clean and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

995 Media Luna Road, Brownsville, TX 78520   |
Snohomish, Washington
“Clean and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was our first experience with a Value Place accommodation. We saw the ad in a tourist brochure so decided to check it out and we were very pleased with our experience. I agree with cocoa3c's review. We have been coming to Brownsville in the winter for the past 8 years and generally stay 2-3 weeks. We have stayed in other extended stay motels and must say that this was the cleanest accommodation. The staff really prides themselves on making sure the room passes the "white glove" test. The fixtures and appliances are well maintained. I always carry cooking supplies including coffee pot and slow cooker because we alternate camping in state/national parks and "motel camping". If you don't have cooking equipment, you can purchase a basic service for 2 for $30 and a coffee pot for $10. I think that it is good value and would rival any thing you could buy at Walmart. We require a non-smoking room. Lots of places will alternate smoking and non-smoking or a room will be designated non-smoking but there is the lingering odor of a smoker. Or a smoker will stand outside your room and the A/C sucks the smoke in. This isn't a problem here because floors 1,2,3 are all nonsmoking. Smoking is only allowed on the 4th floor. My only reccomendation would be to try to avoid a Sunday check-in because the office is closed on Sundays so it makes the logistics a little more difficult. We will stay in other Value Place locations and will definitely return to this one.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same,
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Heather L, Manager at Value Place Brownsville, TX, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad to hear you had a great experience. Because our Studio Attendants follow checklists of simple, thorough and effective housekeeping practices ,they know they're making a difference to each and every guest—as well as to the Value Place employees who live onsite and whose job it is to ensure that we're upholding our superior cleaning standards. We wish you well with your future travels and hope you'll come back and visit us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

The concept is nice - stay a full week for a low price. BUT beware of extra charges. I was charged a $30 penalty because I got blood on 3 towels (Cut shaving) . When questioned about it, the manager said that was the company policy - a cleaning charge. I advised it was the first I had heard about it. I was told that I signed a paper agreeing to this at check in. I was not given a copy of the "agreement" by the way. And, I specifically asked the manager at check-in what the deposit was for. He only said it was to make sure no one stole the remotes. Change of linen after one week is extra $7.50. No coffee machines, but you can buy one in the office for $30. And then there was the noise which the management permitted until someone, usually me, complained. e.g. people slamming doors in the hallway, yelling in the hallways at 3 AM, heavy metal music in the parking lot at 11PM along with skateboarding, allowing beer drinking in parking lot by residents, and loud parties in rooms into the late hours of the morning. In addition, there is a $45 penalty if you do not notify the front desk of your departure at least 24 hours before leaving. I called the corporate office to complain about the $30 towel penalty, but I have not gotten a call back. (3 days). Also, their website's e-mail does not work, and if one calls the corporate office, one gets a recorded message and a request to leave an voice-mail. This from a company the alleges outstanding customer service on its website. I do not recommed staying here at any price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Thunder Bay, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I was a bit nervous about booking at Value Place, since I could find only one review on it, but I was pleasantly surprised. This extended stay hotel is geared to "per week" stay for travellers on a smaller budget (like my husband and I) and those who don't need amenities. The rooms are small, but well designed and functional. They promote their cleanliness which the rooms exibit. There was no dust on the window ledge or the top of the fridge (yeah, I checked...lol). The kitchen two burner stove top and microwave suffices for supper meals. I would advise keeping all food in the fridge, as bugs can be attracted.
We stayed two weeks and found the location nicely situated for accessing restaurants just across the parking lot (Denny's, Tony Roma''s), area golf courses, the Brownsville visitor center just up the street, a driving range across the street, the very nice Sunrise Mall within walking distance, nearby bus routes, and the freeway and main roads for going downtown to the zoo or museums, or to South Padre Island or to any of the fairly close Nature reserves. I brought my netbook and got the more secure ethernet hook up for a small weekly rate. There is also a tidy coin operated laundry facility.
The staff was very friendly and willng to meet any needs even with just a call after front desk hours ended. Our room was at the back and was quiet from any traffic sounds. I don't know what the front rooms facing the freeway are like. The rooms seem to be well sound proofed between rooms and floors as well.
For me the drawbacks were that you had to bring all of your kitchen utensils, dishes and cookware for your stay, that there was no place to sit outside on the property, or a pool, which I would have appreciated. Like I said, it's economy and not really for hanging out in the rooms too much. Also, the staff aren't well informed as to the local sights or activities, but you can go to the visitor center.
Near the end of our stay, we could see that the place was pretty much booked up, so it can't be too bad. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. No matter what brings you to Value Place, you can count on a respectful, helpful and friendly team dedicated to keeping the Value Place promise to our guests. We wish you well with your future travels and if there is ever you need lodging, we hope you'll choose Value Place!

Been to Value Place Brownsville, TX? Share your experiences!