We just had a great weekend stay at this hotel. If you know what you want to do, have your priorities straight, and come with the proper set of expectations, it's a blast. The location is fantastic both for staying put or as a base for excursions to Port A or into Corpus Christi.
The hotel is literally on the seawall and is steps from the waves and has a really fun Jimmy Buffet-like groove. It's enjoyable to be around other guests and families who are having fun too. The live music all day Saturday (starting around 1PM with the first band, and wrapping up at around 10PM with the second band) was fantastic. And people actually danced at night, both adults and kids!
We normally stay further down the seawall at a condo, but waited too long to plan our trip this year, so ended up renting a room here. While it's certainly more cramped than a 2 bedroom condo for a family of 4, we're hardly ever in the room, and it wasn't as much an issue as I had worried it might be. There is a microwave and mini-fridge so if you pack the right snack and sandwich stuff, you'll be ok without having to pay to eat out a lot.
The rooms are standard size rooms and everything was more than adequate with the physical accommodations. Beds are super comfortable, WiFi reliable, and bathrooms good enough. For a beach hotel, this is all I ask. It's an older remodeled property and it serves its purpose of putting you right on the beach.
Our room was near the front corner, top floor. overlooking the pool and bar/cabana area and live music. From the room, the music can be heard clearly. If you don't want this noise, ask for a room on the north side of the hotel. If you have small kids that need to nap in the afternoon, or you want quiet before 10PM, don't stay o the south side during party season. But, if you're that noise intolerant, maybe a completely different hotel is needed. This is a place where people are having fun and it's noisy.
Another reviewer mentioned staying further away and driving or taking a cab to the beach instead of paying the higher room rate. That's the worst idea I've ever heard. I've been coming to this beach since 1981. By staying in the hotel, you have the following routine available:
1) Walk from room to waves, barefoot with just your towel and bathing suit, and be in the water in 3 minutes. Do this multiple times a day and it's worth ever penny to pay more for location. Riding a cab would be insane and it would be extremely limiting.
2) Get out of the ocean, walk to the showers near the pool and wash off all the sand. Try working this out in a rental car or cab. Major hassle, sand everywhere. Don't try it, it would be dumb.
3) Get into the pool and/or hot tub and relax/swim for a while longer. Coming off the beach and being able to rinse and swim, or soak in the hottub (which was in fact very hot) is a major convenience and adds to the relaxation. There are two pools and plenty of lounge furniture. Also some covered tables in the cabana and seating at an outdoor bar. Not quite at "resort" level as far as size, but more of a boutique experience that is more than adequate.
4) Hang out at the bar/cabana area and get some cold drinks or icy fruit drinks for kids. This is available any time, whether after a swim or not.
5) Head back to the room to change, rest, snack or order a pizza and eat outside.
If you want the ability to have a rhythm to your day without having to exert much energy or get into a hot vehicle, this hotel provides that opportunity. We're veteran beach travelers (at least twice a year, every year) and our routine is to hit the waves very early each morning before it gets to hot, chill out midday, swim in the pool, and hit the waves again late afternoon. Fun time, pool, day trips and excursions are in between and at night. This has worked well for us.
We did order a pizza for lunch just as the band started at 1Pm on a Saturday, and the pizza was surprisingly excellent. Really good. Obviously cooked in a real pizza oven. Actually, I was stunned at how good it was. We never ate in the restaurant or ordered anything else so I can't comment on it otherwise, but I did go inside for a look around, check the menu, and it looks like a nice place to sit and look out at the ocean while eating, but I doubt the food is award winning. I wouldn't expect more than a pricey Denny's-Level food experience, but the setting and view are nice. There is also in indoor bar adjacent to the restaurant, good for those who want to stay out of the sun and in cooler temperatures.
Is there a lot I could complain about? Probably. The elevators are slow. So what? Who cares, you're at the beach. That's what bugs me about some of these reviews. A hotel like this gets battered by wind, sun, sand and salt water. Wet and sandy people (who didn't properly rinse at the shower) are coming in and out of the lobby all day and night. There is a yellow "wet floor" caddy in the lobby most of the time. The floor is wet, There is sand on the carpet in the hallway. There are loud kids and sun burnt parents. That's why we're all there. It can't be reviewed from the same mindset or set of standards one might use for a downtown Hyatt. IT'S A BEACH HOTEL! Cut it some slack and focus on what's important instead of nitpicking the little stuff.
If you know how to have fun, organize your day trips and activities, and take advantage of the benefits of the location and you just want to get in a lot of easy and convenient time on the beach, this spot is a great choice, with or without kids. You'll have a great time if you don't sweat the small stuff and you allow yourself to just have fun on your vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort in Corpus Christi, Texas is North Padre Island s only full service hotel located directly on the Gulf of Mexico.Hand painted murals liven the inside and summer weekend entertainment livens the outside at our Sand Bar. Seasonal children s activities, an outdoor playground, and indoor game room create a perfect family beach vacation. Two large outdoor swimming pools overlook the natural beauty of the ocean and there are many direct beach access points. Both corporate and leisure guests will appreciate the meeting and banquet facilities. Every guestroom has a microwave and mini-fridge and many offer an ocean view and a balcony. The Beachside Grill and Lounge complete this perfect hotel package!Golf and tennis are less than 1 mile from the hotel. The USS Lex Aircraft Museum and the Texas State Aquarium are 22 miles away.Downtown Corpus Christi provides night life fun, fishing and sightseeing boats and bicycle rentals. Sports enthusiasts can watch a baseball or football game at Whataburger Field, a hockey game at American Bank Center, or Texas A & M Islander basketball. Fish from Bob Hall pier, kayak around Packery Channel, surf at J. P. Luby Park, boat around Bird Island, or walk the many birding trails in the Coastal Bend. Book your hotel reservation with us today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Corpus Christi - N. Padre Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Corpus Christi - n. Padre Island Hotel Corpus Christi
- Corpus Christi Holiday Inn