“No better anniversary dinner in Corpus” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Republic of Texas Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Twigg Street
Seattle, Washington
“No better anniversary dinner in Corpus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was looking for a fine dining restaurant for our anniversary while we were down in Corpus Christi/Padre Island. From the website The Republic of Texas seemed to be the nicest restaurant. They have a wonderful pianist playing during our dinner, which really helped make it more romantic. The service was top notch as was the food. The swordfish was unbelievably delicious. The restaurant gave us a dessert of our choice for free as a gift for our anniversary. To top it off it is on the 20th floor of the hotel and we had a beautiful view of the bay and bridge that is lit up at night. They got us the window seat I requested when the reservation was made on opentable.com

• Visited September 2012

Corpus Christi, Texas
“FINE DINING AT IT'S BEST!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Food is super good and has so many flavors, it's definitely nothing in your everyday meal. The chefs are genious!! Wait staff is super curteous and attentive. Wonderful people. Bar is very nice with a piano player who plays requests with no sheet note. Everything by memory. Incredible!! My favorite place in CC to dine for sure!!!

• Visited June 2012
Sinton, Texas
“Republic of Texas Bar and Grill!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Beautiful View!! 20th Floor!! Amazing Food!! Great Balcony!! Lots of Fun!! But very expensive..!! But also worth it!! Went on our 11 year anniversary!! We did have a BlasT!!!:D

• Visited August 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Great view and really good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We arrived 20 minutes early to many empty tables, but were told that they were holding to the reservation and shown to the bar o wait. About 10 minutes later we were taken to our table - very strange and a first for sure.

However once seated we had excellent service and a great view of the water from the 20th floor to ceiling windows.

Our party had the steak, venison and fish and all reported wonderful meals. The sides are all ala carte but large enough to share.

I would certain recommend this as a must do restaurant while in Corpus Christi even with the bizarre hostess routine.

Houston, Texas
“You are paying for the view not the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Dined here a couple of Saturday evenings ago. Had a 7:30pm reservation. We were well-greeted and promptly seated. Unfortunately, we were given a lower level side table with only a partial view. Service was good--no knock on the service staff. We had 3 courses: starters, mains and dessert. It took 90 minutes to complete the meal. Had the crab fondue and carnitas appetizers. The fondue was very salty, but otherwise good. The carnitas were puzzling--the menu description never mentioned that these were fried.

I had a porterhouse and my wife had the lobster tail. My porterhouse was very rare in the center (I ordered it medium). The steak was overly-fatty and we are not talking marbling here--it was poorly trimmed. For the price, I really expected the best steak ever, but here you don't get what you pay for. My wife said her lobster was dried out--she didn't finish it.

Dessert was average. Each dessert is $10--I had the pecan pie and my wife had bananas foster. The bananas foster was ignited at our table, but the bananas turned out to be overripe. My pie was good--the crust tasted homemade.

After settling our bill (we thought), we decided to pop into the bar for after dinner drinks. I was surprised to see small children in the bar area. I dispute a previous review that the scotch collection was extraordinary--they had several brands, but only one bottle of each maker. While tring to enjoy my drink at the bar, I was disturbed by our waitress who had chased us down to inform us that they had neglected to charge us for dessert downstairs and would we please pay now. This was very embarrassing and intrusive to us--making us look like deadbeats. We settled our bills--dessert and bar--and left. On the ride downstairs, we were accompanied by two girls from the bar that both appeared to be around 14 and both obviously intoxicated. We have no idea how they got into this state, but it reflects badly on both the hotel and the restaurant to have these children wandering around in this condition.