“Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Food is very similar to Sakura but with less than half the portions. The place isn't the cleanest looking or most inviting. Atmosphere is more or less nothing special. Restaurant was empty when we were there. The quality of the steak was good but the price was outrageous. Don't go when you are hungry. Will be our last time there.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Glendale, Ohio
“Our first visit and probably our last”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We visited Shogun during a spring break visit with our college age kids. This was our first time here but we had eaten at similar restaurants elsewhere in the past. When we entered the restaurant was empty except for a few individuals wandering around, we later found out these people were family members of the owners. The restaurant was dark and drab and needed updating. Service was slow and lacked interest and attention to detail. Tea without sweetener, sushi without soysauce or chopsticks. One member of our party without silverware.
The restrictions on our Groupon coupon were explained up front and we did not object. The food was good and our chef was friendly but lacked any enthusiasm. With our coupon the bill ended up being about 10.00 per person which was a good deal. I don't think we will return.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
“Skip Shogun...Service? What service...ripoff!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Seriously horrible restaurant. I bought a Groupon for $20 for $40 tried to use it by myself and they went crazy. Oh no you can't use that for just one person...no lobster tail, though it states nowhere in the fine print about lobster tail being excluded. It specifically excludes alcohol and happy hour discounts which I understand. It states no other restrictions. What does it matter if I am by myself or with other people? Honor your deals, you expect me to pay my bill, I expect you to honor your deals as well. Will NOT go back and will patronize Take Niwa instead. With a good experience I would have gone back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Do not eat there!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Food Poor - Service Poor

Shogun Restaurant Japanese Steak in Corpus Christi has a Groupon that is $20 for $40. I thought this was a great deal so I bought two. The only stipulations for the coupon was that you had to be a new customer, the coupon couldn't be used on alcohol or any daily specials. They have a sign right at the front that reads "Groupon customers - let us know that you are using a groupon" So, I did so at that time. Normally when you use a groupon at a restaurant they ask you to show it to the cashier after dining. I ordered the steak and lobster, The waitress proceed to tell me, I couldnt order the loblster, with my groupon coupon. I then pulled out my coupon and read the fine print to her, no where did it say anything about what kind of food I could order with a cash value coupon. She proceeded to say I could not order the lobster with the groupon coupon, I read to her the fine print, She looked at me like I was crazy, and told me no. She proceed to tell me what I can order. I said, are you telling me, I can't order what I want? She continued to tell me I can't order the lobster. I said ok, I understand what you are saying and I proceeded to order the steak and lobster, but she continued to insist that I could not order the lobster. I stopped her and said, I still wanted to order the lobster. but she still proceed to tell me no and indicated that she was worried about loosing her job. I finally said, "forget my coupon and take my order". She was loud to the point where everybody heard our converation and she made me feel like a third class citizen because I bought a groupn coupon!. When the food came it was poorly prepared, poorly presented and the portions were insufficient for the amount of money paid. My cat can cook better then these people. After all said and done, I come to find out, that our " waitress " was in fact one of the owner of the restraurant, so much for her fantacy of loosing her job, but if she worked for me, she would be fired. Upon recieving the bill "my waitress" disparaged me by intimating that I was attempting to dodge for paying for my meal. Needless to say, I ended up paying the full price anyways because they did not honor the groupon coupon. After reading other rewievs, it is apparent that the owners of this restraurant have never operated in good faith regarding the use of groupon coupons. It is also apparent that they are using groupon as a bait and switch tactic, which is illesgal in the United States. I'm requesting a refund from groupon, and advise them not to allow Shogun to do business with them in the future.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
North Richland Hills, Texas
“Food was good/Hibachi performance "so/so"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went here on a groupon deal.

Food wasn't bad, service was pretty good overall. The only gripe I had was with the performance of the Hibachi cook.

Visited January 2013