“Surprise Island gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Houston, Texas
“Surprise Island gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our family had a delightful lunch at JBs. The kids had pastries as big as their face; I had the bratwurst; my husband the German burger. Everything was delicious. Never expected authentic German food in Padre island but boy we enjoyed and appreciated the change of pace from the typical food options. The decor was great too- reminded me of my visit to Germany over a dozen years ago.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

McAllen, Texas, United States
“Breakfast on a Motorcycle Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I saved up my appetite by not eating breakfast that day, and I'm glad I did. The choices are a bit overwhelming, but I have the feeling that I could have chosen anything and it would have been great. A huge cinnamon role and a glass of milk, enjoyed on the sunny deck overlooking the leisure boat slips, made it a great morning.

And - I have to comment on the service. I was there well after tourist season, so the place was not busy. The lady who served me came out on the deck after awhile, just to be sure I was okay. Seeing my camera on the table, she offered to take a photo. Now that's service!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Central Texas
“Try the Pastries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stopped in here for some treats to take with us. The rolls are quite yummy though the names are a bit of a misnomer. For instance the "whole grain" is basically a white roll with whole grain on the outside and is identical to the "sunflower" roll that is the same on the inside but coated with sunflowers. However the sweet pastries are AWESOME... we had the apple strudel (healthy version) and it was delicious! It was huge and enough for 2-3 people. Definitely worth the visit!

We also found the price to be reasonable!

Visited December 2013
Austin, Texas
“could hardly tear ourselves away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

great breakfast, sat on deck on a gorgeous morning, had to talk ourselves out of leaving through the bakery where we would have caved and bought some take out! Everything looked and smelled divine. Our French toast was lovley.

Visited November 2013
Giddings, Texas
“Smells wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

The first thing you notice when you walk in is the wonderful yeast smell. That alone makes it worth the visit. I had two different kinds of pastries, and wished I had a need for some of their breads. The wait staff behind the counter was more interested in visiting among themselves than serving a waiting customer, but once told what I wanted, they hopped to it. Their pastries were delicious and certainly authentic . Thank that from someone who really knows. Give it a try!

• Visited October 2013