“"An Honest Opinion"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Corpus Christi
San Antonio, Texas
“"An Honest Opinion"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

First of all , I am a territory manager/consultant for a fortune 500 company. When my company first informed me that i would be leaving a local Holiday Inn Express to the Howard Johnson(2 star), i immediatly went to check the reviews. I found that you either love it or hate it. Ive been staying at this hotel 2 days out of the week for the past two months and my opinion is that this hotel is a very clean , safe and comfortable stay for a 2 star hotel and maybe even a 3 star hotel. I noticed while in the lobby a guest was complaining that her room had not been serviced that day but admits she did post a do not disturb sign until 7pm but demanded immediate service at once. The poor girl at the front desk was very polite in explaining that she would replenish towels and soaps but housekeeping had left for the evening and the guest would be serviced first on the next day. The guest loudly responded if she did not get serviced or compensated she would post a bad review.("hello two star means limited service people" )My opinion is that some customers expect too much from a 2 star hotel and should explore different options instead of bad mouthing because us humble people out here really appreciate what they offer. Not many two star hotels offer free breakfast, free internet, new and clean rooms with 42 inch flat sceens ,security on duty with real reasonable prices.Keep up the good work hojo

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Clean rooms that are modernly appointed. AC blows nice and cold and takes the humidity out of the air. Breakfast is usually budget motel fair but no complaints as to quality or freshness. Friendly staff that takes care of any issues that may arise.

Now on to the issues. You can tell the renovation was a rush job with poor quality workmanship. For some reason I was appointed a handicap accessible room. It appeared as though they just removed the tub and lowered the tub surround instead of installing a proper shower. This provided the benefit of the shower head being reasonably high but the major issue was the lack of silicone sealing the surround to the tiles. When you can see the gap in between the two in a direct flow path of water mould is a major concern.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had an overall nice stay at the hotel. The rooms were exceptionally clean and everyone was nice. The pool was not in open the first day, but they assured us that it would be saturday morning and it was. The rooms were clean when we came back from site seeing. The only problem we had was getting replacement towels. For some reason they had a hard time giving us towels in a timely manner. We would recommend this hotel if visiting corpus, it is 5 minutes from texas aquarium, uss lexington, corpus beach and only 30 min from Padre Island and easy for us to get on and off the freeway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Let me begin by saying I booked with this hotel due to the reviews...BIG MISTAKE. I don't even know where to begin on the issues this hotel has. I had never been to Corpus before and my husband hasn't been there in years. I did a lot of research on places to stay while we were down there, and after reading the reviews of this hotel I thought hey for the price I was quoted online it really sounded like a good deal. We decided to go a day early and see if we could get a room early as well. The ONLY good thing I can say about this hotel is that was the only nice thing these people did for us.
1) First off: I had reserved our room with a king bed on the bottom floor over 2 weeks in advance I had my reservation number as well as the email that I was sent. When we arrived in Corpus I called the hotel to see if we could get a room for the night, now I understand that I was asking for a room before we were scheduled to check in and I was ok with having to move the next day if needed, but when I called first off Brad was busy and he asked if he could look it up and call me back, I said sure I gave him my number and we waited for him to call me back. After about 15 minutes he called me back and said that he found the reservation and they could get us a room BUT it wouldn't be a king bed and that they wouldn't have a king bed for us for the length of our stay even though on their website it says they have king beds available. Honestly I can deal with it but it aggravated me because Brad did not even bother to give us an excuse on why we wouldn't get what we had reserved nor did they try to compensate us for the mixup. I wasn't asking to stay for free or any major discount but if they made the mistake of overbooking or whatever happened they should feel the need to compensate the customer.
2) Second: to add 1 extra night to our stay it added almost $100 extra dollars. Even though we weren't getting anything we had already reserved. No king bed or bottom floor.
3) They did not give me a receipt I called the front desk to ask if I could get one when I checked out they said yes I could pick one up anytime, when I did check out I asked the lady at the front desk for one and she looked at me then looked it up and smugly said " you did it online right, they didn't email you one?" I said " yes they did but I was charged more because we checked in early and the price I was quoted was not what I paid" . So she finally printed it out and gave it to me.
4) The second day after they came in and cleaned our room they took our towels and wash clothes and did not replace them so I went to the front desk and Brad ended up giving me 2 towels no washcloths.
5) The pool was horrible. When the pool wasn't overrun with people and you could get in you can see it looks like they haven't cleaned the pool in months. The pool was supposed to close at 10:30 but people would stay in till around midnight. Which was fine because no one was being disrespectful or loud. But it was nasty, the tiles were chipped, the hot tub part wasn't working correctly when my husband went to see why someone had pressed the emergency stop. Worked fine after that.
6) The management there really needs improvement because they were letting their friends clean the rooms and for what I don't know because we saw several housekeeping attendants, but at night we saw several normally dressed people cleaning rooms then these same girls would go into rooms that had door hangers on them that said DO NOT DISTURB. Not sure what was going on but that went on for several nights over the weekend.
I did end up emailing customer service about the issues and the general manager was notified of some of the issues and was supposed to contact me but I have yet to hear from anyone else about it. I am very disappointed in this hotel. And I would never stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Killeen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I really dont know what kind of people stay here that write so great reviews. But my family and i stay there for 3 days back in July and not one time did the hotel maids clean our room. We will get in everynight to find the room not been done. We will call the front desk and there excuse was that they forgot. The breakfast area is so small that you cannot fit more than 20 people there and to make it worst you cant take the food out of the breakfast area one day we had to stand and eat there. The hotel overall is dirty everywhere the halls ways the surrounding areas. If you like staying in cheap motels than stay here. But if you like a clean and nice hotel dont even think of staying here. I really dont know how the Howard Johnson brand has the name in that hotel they should be a shame. The only thing that i can think is that someone from the hotel is writing all the good reviews because i wasn't the only one complaining at the front desk there were other people there. To be honest this hotel looks like the projects or a run down trailer park.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Harlingen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband was staying at this dump on 8/6-8/7 his cell phone was dead so I thought no big deal let me call the hotel and ask for him by name. Much to my surprise the front didnt know how a hotel works you must has for the guest by name and then be transfered. They denied to transfer as they stated I MUST KNOW HOTEL ROOM NUMBER. If anyone with half of a brain knows that you should NOT know the room number as it could pose a threat to the guest and front desk is not allowed to say the room number outloud but if you simply give the guest name you should be tranfered without argument. LUCKILY for me I must have stumbled upon the most uneducated front desk staff ever. Thoughout this ridiculousness I was hung up on several times as I kept calling back because I wanted to speak to my husband. I did nothing to deserve such service and I finally had my daughter call and surprisingly they had called my husbands room and confirmed with him that someone was calling and he said let the calls transfer so my daughter got a hold of him. Once I finally got in touch with my husband (GM of several hilton/marriott brands for over 35 years) he said he did not know why the front desk was uneducated on how to transfer or when to transfer a call. This hotel is rough on the outside but its employees are rougher on the inside.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Rooms were clean and have outdoor access. A couple rogue bugs in our 1st floor room during the 6 days we spent there. 1 vanity light was burnt out and never changed. Room came with 2 towels for 4 people and the hotel always seemed short of towels. Flat screen TV. Breakfast not very good. Not bad for $50 a night.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Corpus Christi? Share your experiences!