“Love it! Very interesting” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular with families, the museum focuses on the history and culture of South Texas with something for everyone, including relics from a 1554 shipwreck, recreations of two of the three ships used for Columbus's voyage to the New World, an interactive weather station, a children's section with marine activities and numerous artifacts.
south texas
5 attraction reviews
“Love it! Very interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I took my two boys and in-laws. I used to go when I was a kid and it had been like 25 years since I had been. I was not sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it. We spent an hour just in the antique area. The vast majority of artifacts was definitely educational for the kids. I am glad the museum took away the shrunken child or baby that was there for years but saddened there were no more animal area or taxidermy area. There still are a little around but there are great additions that made up for it. Like the cowboy area, ancient cathedral, and Columbus Replica's. My only complaint is that the replica's have not been thoroughly repaired which is ridiculous! They are so interesting and they are decaying. The city is not doing their best to see that these treasures are repaired properly! I wonder what they are doing with the money that got to fix them. None the less it was a great stop and we will be back! It is airflow expensive so call ahead to get the prices. There is no food only snacks.

Visited December 2012

Corpus Christi, Texas
22 attraction reviews
“Fun for All Ages”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I decided to take our three year old granddaughter on her first trip to this particular museum. I knew she would love the giant, robotic bug exhibit and I was correct. She was mesmerized. Another huge hit was the hands on kid's area...inside the building and out. She had a wonderful time in both locations! There were so many things for her to do and discover. She simply couldn't get enough.

After tearing the wee one away from the children's area the three of us wandered the halls looking over the various exhibits. We had a great time. Our little one was totally enchanted by everything around her. She gazed while we read and explained things to her. The only area she seemed agitated with was the display of riding saddles. They are all perched on individual stands, and she would not get near them because, "The horses don't have heads!" All in all we played and browsed for four hours.

The exhibits are diverse; many pertaining to the Gulf Coast--past and present. There are interesting displays for males and females of all age groups.

I have to admit it is a little pricy, but it was a really perfect afternoon for grandparents and grandchild. We highly recommend this location.

Visited November 2012
Corpus Christi, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“Children friendly museum that will expose all members of a family to local history and scientific displays related to th”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Replica of the Columbus Ships. Large interactive play area for children. Exhibits of local history. Located next to the ship channel entering the port; good for watching large ships entering or exiting the port

Visited October 2012
central Maine
7 attraction reviews
“too good to miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We spent the end of one day and another couple of hours on the next morning here. They graciously allowed us in on our late day pass from the day before. Sadly the weathering of the Pinta and Santa Maria are ruining the replica ships beyond repair. It is hard to believe no one felt the SM was worth saving with all the $$ in the state. We thoroughly enjoyed all the exhibits- natural and human history were both well done. Our guide on the Pinta was knowledgeable and friendly. We went to view the Nina in the waters by the Marina too. Great stop and well worth the time and money...

Visited October 2012
Austin, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Very interesting museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Lots of interesting items to see. A great museum to visit and would visit again. One suggestion, tour guide for the Columbus ship acted like she was bored and just wanted to get the tour done over as quick as she can. And when people asked questions she would just put them off rudely.

Visited September 2012