“Quiet” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Beaches, Nature/ Wildlife Areas
Activities: Camping, Picnicking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This beach on Padre Island is a great camping and beach-going spot.
Oklahoma
6 attraction reviews
“Quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Went to Malaquite beach with my two kids and husband. It was really windy and cool the day we went but it was still nice. I liked listening and watching the waves and my 3 year old loved playing in the water and sand. We liked the covered picnic area and that we were fairly close to bathrooms if needed. I didn't care for the excessive seagrass on the beach but that can't be helped. My only complaint was that we had to constantly watch where we were walking barefoot due to the trash. There was a feminine product that had washed ashore which was really disgusting but those things can't be helped. I would have loved to see this place before the days of trash being in the oceans. It is really beautiful with the sand dunes. Watch out for jellyfish! One washed up right by us. It was pretty cool to look at though. Also, the birds out there will drive you crazy!

Visited April 2013

Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
5 attraction reviews
“very good public beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

It's a good place to get a taste of padre island, it's the northernmost part of the island, they keep it clean and it's a great place for kids and swimming or just laying around.. you can spend the day or night here and some very friendly rangers patrol it 24/7

Visited April 2013
27 attraction reviews
“We will return, very clean, great for kids.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went at the height of hot Texas weather, but it was great on the beach. We took our kids, ages 5 and 8, and they loved it. I had always heard how Texas beaches were not great, but I think this was perfectly fine. The beach was very clean and not too crowded, even toward the later hours of the day. We were the first ones there at around 9am. There are some picnic tables with covers, but don't expect them to be shaded all day. Thankfully, you can move the tables hither and yonder as the shade from the cover changes! The sand was great for castles. I am unfamiliar with beaches and expected more shells, but that was ok! We did find all the tiny shells that live at the edge of the water under the sand. My kids enjoyed picking up handfuls of them and feeling them move around their hands. I really liked that this did not seem like a "party" beach. The visitor center, complete with store, bathrooms, and showers was right over the hill. No shower curtains, so don't be shy! We had only planned one trip out here, as we were staying in Corpus, but loved it so much we came out again and skipped the "beach" in town. If you want a picnic table, get there early. Bring your little wisk broom as it is "stick to ya sand." We are planning another trip out in the summer.

Visited June 2012
Falfurrias, Texas
“Clean, Quiet Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Excellent, well cared for beach that is part of Padre Island National Seashore (national park). It is a quiet and clean alternative to some of the busier, run down public beaches of Corpus Christi. Plenty of showers, cute visitors center, nice parking lot (ideal for shaking off all that sand before you get in your car!), and a shop if you forgot any items. Come early and plan on spending a relaxing day among the picturesque dunes and calm waves!

Visited June 2012
Spring Hill, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
“March 5, 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The wife & I drove down past the commercial beaches to Malaquite and the National Seashore to "get-away;" and that we did! If you drive past the Welcome Center a few miles, the road ends on the beach. We drove down the beach several miles to a point where there were no others in sight. It was wonderful (and a stark contrast to the commercial beach). We had a 4WD, and I recommend the same! It would be real easy and very expensive to get stuck!

Visited March 2013