“Budget hotel struggling to get into midrange” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Austin, Texas
“Budget hotel struggling to get into midrange”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

By pricing, this hotel thinks they're in the midrange - but they're not (yet.) Perhaps when they finish the renovation. My room was small, the furniture was worn. My co-worker had a room with poorly working AC and a nonworking fridge (I had no fridge/microwave/etc.) Internet access was slow, even for a hotel. No fitness center. On the plus side: They really are trying. In the "continental breakfast" category, this hotel was excellent. Wide selection, good quality, good coffee. Staff was friendly, eager and competent. My room was clean and everything worked, though it did smell a bit funny at first.

Room Tip: Wait until renovations are complete.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and kind words about our staff. I apologize our renovation process caused you to have a negative stay while at our hotel. I want to assure you that we are working to address these issues. We value all feedback from guests. We use it to evaluate what can be done to improve our hotel as well as what we are doing right. We hope with our continued efforts to improve, you will chose to stay at the Fairfield Inn next time you stay in the area.

Erik Wheatley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed at the hotel because of its proximity to the beach.

I had an issue with housekeeping.

It was eleven a.m. when housekeeping arrived. I asked if she could return to the room at her convenience. She was very rude and refused to return to clean up the room.

She said it was her last room on that floor and that she would be working on the next floor. I asked if she could return after that and was told that it was not possible, as she wanted to go home.

I therefore let her in. I then slipped and fell on the bathroom floor as a result of her spraying bleach on the floor. My pants were ruined as a result of the bleach product. She finished cleaning the room and left.

I was upset because I am one of those people who clean up after themselves and cleaning the room requires minimal effort by housekeeping.

I decided I would never stay at this place again.

I reported my feelings and the situation to Mr. Eric Wheatley, who is the new general manager. He said it was unacceptable. He reversed the charges for that night's stay. He offered to purchase new pants at the hotel's expense. He was even willing to purchase a gift card to Starbucks, at my request.

His prompt and professional response is why I would give this hotel another chance.

In addition, the breakfast is very good and the hostess, Donna goes out of her way to assist the guests. She even made the Texas waffle for my daughter, on two separate mornings.

Sonia at the front desk provided bottled water at the guest's request. I think. with how often my daughter went to the beach; that she would have dehydrated if it weren't for the bottled water!!

So YES please consider giving this a second chance. I recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and bringing these issues to our attention. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced while here. We have taken several steps to ensure situations like these don’t happen again. I am grateful you found Donna and Sonia helpful; our number one priority is making a good impression and friendliness to all our guests. We hope with our continued efforts to improve the quality of stay for our guests, you will give the Corpus Christi Fairfield Inn another try next time you stay in the area.

Erik Wheatley
Fairfield Inn Corpus Christi
On the road again
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Checked in here pulled back the sheets and was welcomed by the bed bug army. Before I could grab my things and get out of there got bit.

This hotel is dirty, decrepit and they need to demolish it and start over.

If my name was Marriott it would not be on this hotel for certain.

Room Tip: Don't go here is my advice period
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear EfficientTraveler,
Thank you for your review of the Fairfield Inn Corpus Christi. I'm happy to hear that my staff was friendly and welcoming, and that the location was convenient for you. I'm sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. Our mission is always to "Impress our Guests" and my apologies that we did not accomplish this. I hope that if you find yourself in the area again you will give us another opportunity to impress you.

Erik W.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Unfortunately, my first choice, the Residence Inn next door was full so since this hotel was available and at the same location, I decided to book it.

My first impression was not favorable. It may have been overuse of cleaning fluid but when I walked in the door the smell in the lobby was pungent. Once I got to the floor my room was on the smell changed to a somewhat musty smell. The room itself smelled fine so I go over my initial concerns.

The room itself was ok. It was clean but the air conditioning unit sounded like an airplane was landing so I turned it off which was fine since the unit was on to the coldest setting and the room was quite "chilled".

I had the breakfast the next day. The usual array of bagels, bread, fruit and cereal.

I won't go back but I certainly wouldn't say it was the worst one I've been to. They are called Fairfield because you get the "fair" price for the basics. If you want more, take a step up in the chain. One note - the staff could not have been friendlier.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Have stayed here several times on business over the last few years. I get older, as does this property. Several chain restaurants nearby are an easy walk.

Employees have always been friendly & rooms have always been clean.

Some new carpet, larger breakfast area, and a breakfast menu redo would help this old gal. When schlepping luggage after a long day, automatic lobby doors would be a welcome update too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Franklin, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The room was clean - but we were assigned to a handicap room - no easy chair - worn furniture. Basic breakfast- heat your own premade sandwich in a microwave!

Definitely will stay elsewhere!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed here for a night before heading up to another hotel at Port A. The price was cheap and check-in was pretty smooth. The counter clerk wore latex gloves for some as yet unknown reason. I've stayed in maybe a hundred different Marriott hotels all over the world and never saw that before. Maybe a future guest can break the secret. The clerk notified us that the floors had been cleaned in the morning but that they should be nearly dry by now. Part of the elevator had this weird random sanded metal look that seemed to be covering up some sort of prior defacement. When we got to our floor we noticed the carpet was still pretty damp both inside and outside our room. I appreciate that they clean their floors but sometimes hotels can make the situation worse by using cleaning companies that leave a sticky and/or smelly residue on the carpet. In this case there appeared to be no such residue or chemical smell so that's a plus. It was still too damp to walk on though so that was a negative. Using flip-flops solved the problem and avoided having to find another hotel at the last minute. I just wish they had opened the windows or something to get the carpet dryer before evening. The room seemed a decent size to me. Not very large but not to small either. I pack light and there was plenty of room if you don't need to bust out the kitchen sink. The flat panel TV was modern and large enough to catch-up on the NBA playoffs. Some in-room annoyances included a fire sprinkler that was missing a bezel (looked tacky), ugly old light switch at the door, a malfunctioning set of power sockets at the desk, and no fridge or microwave (normally very common in this area). On the plus side the bathroom was nice and clean with plenty of towels and everything bathroom related seemed to work well. The free internet seemed to work fine, including for VPN access to corporate networks. I didn't hear much from my neighbors so no complaints there. The outside lighting is so incredibly bright you'll need to close all the shades just to get things dark in the room. Seriously, it's brighter than any parking lot I've ever seen in my life. I get the feeling some bad stuff may have happened in one of these parking lots in the past but today there are enough lights to kill any shadows that may have existed in the past. Outside the room I haven't seen a hotel pool this small and uninspired since the 1980's. It looks like it's only there to add another bullet to the brochure or website page. You also have access to the Resident Inn pools, but the water in those pools looked a little, well, odd. I'm not sure what the story was over there but at least the water in the Fairfield pool looked normal for a pool. The location is next to some other mid-market hotels and a big-box supermarket and bookstore. You'll be about 15-20 minutes from the beach. Basically it's nothing special but nothing terrible either. Stay here if you can get a really good price. If not keep on looking.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Corpus Christi? Share your experiences!