“Hands Down, Best Texas Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Islands, Beaches, National Parks, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
Activities: Birdwatching, Camping, Swimming, Fishing, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: A 15-minute drive from downtown Corpus Christi transports you to this magnificent 70-mile stretch of white sand beach, scenic dunes and warm ocean water, offering ideal conditions for swimming, fishing, beach-combing, windsurfing, camping, bird-watching and viewing wildlife.
Central Texas
“Hands Down, Best Texas Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

I've grown up going to Texas beaches my entire life. Seen them all-- Galveston, Corpus, South Padre, Port A, etc. But, this place was quite the gem and has to be one of Texas' best kept secrets. It was very scenic. Great water temperature. Soft sand and so clean. We just got back (went during the busy summer season of June) and it was not over-crowded and touristy. This beats the over-crowded touristy beaches back in CC. It is so nice and secluded. The built-in covered tables were great, too. Plenty of them for everyone! The mornings we practically had the Malaquite beach to ourselves. Afternoons, a few more people came out to play. But it was still fabulous! I talked to another beach-goer there (who was from Galveston) and she was in awe as well over how clean it was and how nice the water was. We both had never heard of the place before and were just in love with it. They also had a great visitor's center (this is how you enter and exit the actual Malaquite Beach area). They had a great after-beach shower area and plenty of ramps for our kids' wagon (what we used to haul our gear and one-year-old).
My husband and I plan to go back with our kids annually and actually stay on the island rather than in Corpus.
This is the perfect place for families looking to avoid the "Spring Break Party-ing" type scene at so many other Texas beaches. And it was cheap-- $10 for a whole week. Can't beat that.

Costa Mesa, California
“water not always as warm as one may expect”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2006

description misleading - the waters really aren't as warm as some further southeast may be.

“Padre was superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

My boyfriend and I visited the Padre Island National Seashore and had a blast! The sand dunes are really pretty, as is the white sand and warm blue water. We found some awesome shells too and had a great time walking!

Don't skip the Visitor center! There's a lot of educational pictures and stuff that tell you about the Island's history and marine life, etc. It's worth the 5 minutes to drop by and check it out :).

By the way, it's not listed on this site, but there is a $10 admission fee to get inside the park. Kind of pricey, but it's pretty much worth it.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Im from California, and my first time there, in march, i loved the view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2004

My first time there, and the view with my two sons which took me to visit South Padra Island. From the town to cross the bridge, was something i have never seen in mylife. the beach, the island which we drove through, and the area where we stopped and ate and went to enjoy the day at the beach. all the people from all over the world, were there and from all sizes and all ages. This is one island i would recommed people to come and visit, I come from a small town in California, and for us to see something like this, we would need to travel far aways places to enjoy. Though here I would come back and now, that i am living in zapata texas,, i wold love to go again. from smilingolga48

“Great windsurfing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2002

I camped out for a week at the Bird Island Basin beach, and the windsurfing was excellent. For late March the weather was pretty nice, 65-70F during the day, with winds of 15-25 knots for half of each day.

Driving to the gulf beaches is worth it, the sand is fine, smooth, and silky to walk on.