“Not for adults.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the amazing underwater world of the Texas State Aquarium! Thousands of animals representing over 330 different species are ready to enchant, entertain, and inspire you. Corpus Christi's most popular visitor attraction has welcomed over 10 million visitors since its grand opening in July 1990. Conveniently located on North Beach, the Texas State Aquarium is just minutes from Corpus Christi's downtown district, convention center complex, and museums.The Texas State Aquarium Association is a not-for-profit, educational institution that does not receive any city, state, or federal funding for its operations. Every visit to the Texas State Aquarium is a new and exciting discovery of animals that remind us all of our responsibility to those whose world we share.The Aquarium's Second Chances Wildlife Rehabilitation Program is federally permitted and operates under rigorous standards established by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). Each year, thousands of protected, endangered or threatened species along the Texas coast become ill or injured. Most are brought to our facility with problems caused directly or indirectly by humans. The goal of the Texas State Aquarium's Second Chances Program is to rehabilitate, and whenever possible, return the animals to their natural environment. The Aquarium is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and is a member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Aquarium's mission is connecting people with nature and inspiring the conservation of the Gulf of Mexico.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Not for adults.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I'm sure this "aquarium" is very entertaining for children but my husband and I went by ourselves and we were not impressed. We have been to several aquariums and zoos and we love that type of thing, however this aquarium was not up to par. The selection of animals was slim and the exhibits were underwhelming. The exhibit I was most excited about, the dolphin bay underwater room, was overcrowded. It seemed as if people did not understand the concept of look at the animals, marvel, take pictures but then MOVE ON. People were sitting down, laying down, practically camped out right by the glass which made it impossible for me to get close to take a decent picture. The sting ray pool, where you can reach your hand in and touch the sting rays, had the same problem except children were splashing the water and yelling and screaming. There was no parental supervision or staff supervision AT ALL. There is a scant selection of birds, otters, tortoises, and crocodiles but not enough to be interesting. Overall: not impressed and I would NOT visit again.

Visited August 2011

Rio Hondo, Texas
“Awesome visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The price was a bit high, but the aquarium was worth it. Enjoyed watching the dolphins and the fish..

Arlington, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“The highlight of the trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The TSA is a jewel! We all had so much fun. The Dolphin show was über cool. The observation area really got you close to the dolphins. The other exhibits were very interesting too. It's a little small but still a very enjoyable adventure. Heed the suggestion on their website on best times to visit because it can be packed at times!
We became members to help support their efforts!

Laredo, Texas
25 attraction reviews
“A Little Disappointed...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had read the other reviews on Tripadvisor and I guess I had expected much more of the aquarium. I gave it an average instead of a poor rating because the aquarium, like the USS Lexington is all about the location. They are very well situated and you can get great pictures of the bridge and enjoy the lovely breezes off of the bay.

The aquarium itself really didn't have much to offer - 2 otters, 3 dolphins, 3 sea turtles, some stingray, 1 crocodile, several tanks with schools of fish, a few sharks, and a few birds, I don't think I missed anything. They have the dolphin show every three hours, so if you have nothing else to do but sit around, then you can wait until the next show comes around. We didn't, we didn't think that it was worth the wait, since we had experienced everything else the aquarium had to offer in about an hour and that was us really stretching it. We say the Wild Flight show, which was okay. The girls were lively and did their best. I think the aquarium is more for families with kids, other than couples like my husband and I, who were very underwhelmed by the experience and chalked up the high fee as a donation instead of the entrance fee!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
“Spacious and fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We enjoyed the displays and the dolphin show. There is a very nice splash park for the kids. Clean and well kept. Appreciated the elevator.