“Big Springs State Park, Lodge and Cabins” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Attractions in Van Buren
Type: Hot Springs/ Geysers, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Largest natural spring in Missouri averaging a flow of about 286 million gallons of water a day.
Missouri City, Missouri
6 attraction reviews
“Big Springs State Park, Lodge and Cabins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My Aunt and I took an overnight trip to Big Springs State Park in Van Buren, Missouri. Just as the other reviews have said, it is beautiful! The grounds were kept very clean and the spring was easily accessible. It's easy to take a lot of pictures because the colors of the water from the spring are so vibrant. I couldn't find much information regarding the lodge and cabins that are within the State Park, so I will talk about them here. The lodge serves "home cooked" breakfast, lunch and dinner. Very reasonably priced and the food was good. They have several cabins for rent by the night (2 night minimum for weekends). Our cabin was VERY clean. They provide linens (sheets and towels) only, so you would need to bring your own kitchen utensils/pots & pans if you plan on cooking there, plus your bath soaps, etc. You walked up a couple of steps inside the cabin to a loft kitchen area. They have the kitchen equipped with a microwave, coffee pot, toaster, stove and refrigerator (no freezer) and eating area. There are a few different sized cabins available. Our cabin had a bedroom with a full size bed, plus a full size murphy bed in the living room (pulled out from under the kitchen). The bathroom was small but adequate. It had a small shower, toilet and a sink. There was a living area with table and 2 chairs, two living room chairs and a large fireplace. The cabin had a window air conditioner as well as a ceiling fan in the bedroom and living room. There was a screened-in front porch and a fire pit and picnic table outside. These cabins are secluded in the woods, it was very quiet and peaceful. We found the cabin to be much more comfortable than a hotel room and less expensive. Search Big Springs Lodge and Cabins to find out more information. This was a perfect getaway.

Paducah, KY
5 attraction reviews
“Big Spring Will Not Disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

As I grew up about an hour away in Poplar Bluff, I have been coming to Big Spring most of my life. Every time I walk up the Spring, I am still amazed at the drama of all that water coming up from under the rock wall face! Don't forget your camera. You can walk all the way around the Spring on a rock/dirt path that goes across the top of the Spring & continues along the bottom of the rock hill on the far side. There are also lots of picnic areas near the spring. Also camping nearby. I believe in the campground you can actually swim in the river that the Spring forms, but it has been twenty years since I camped there, so don't hold me to that one. All in all, you will not be disappointed. There are also other natural attractions in the area, such as Current River, so be sure to do your internet research when you are planning your trip to the area.

5 attraction reviews
“Must go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My family and I had a wonderful time here. The sights are beautiful, and we saw a lot of wildlife, even though it was the middle of the day. Would love to come back and camp sometime.

Allen, Texas
8 attraction reviews
“Big Spring - Still Awesome After All These Years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I hadn't been to Big Spring since I was a child but I can still remember it well - it was my childhood version of a WOW before I really knew what WOW could or should mean. More than 40 years later and having travelled all over the world, having seen (and done) a lot of WOWs, Big Springs remains a WOW for different reasons. I now know why the water is a beautiful dark blue green color of the water and I understand the hydro-geology of the Spring formation. Mother Nature has created a marvel that is amazing while calm and serene at the same time.

For those of you who might not be familiar with Big Spring it is a first magnitude spring and is one of the largest springs in the USA and the world. It feeds the scenic Current River. Reaching the Spring base exit point is an easy walk along a stone walkway. The Spring rises at the base of a bluff on the west side of the Current River about 3.5 to 4 miles down from the River House my Family just acquired. It is nice to know that in 25 minutes (by boat) and 20 minutes by car, we can visit the Big Spring. By either mode of travel - the journey to the Big Spring is a beautiful one.

What's the best time of the day to visit Big Spring? Anytime, but you'll find fewer people (but more deer, birds, and other wildlife) in the early morning and then again later in the afternoon and early evening. I made my most recent pilgrimage back around 7PM and there were few people around which made it all the better for quiet enjoyment. I'm sure the crowds are larger and more robust earlier in the day since it is located in a well-miantained National Park and a part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways. There are trails, picnic tables and benches throughout the area.

I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy this fabulous part of the USA and the world. It isn't the easiest place to reach (you'll have to drive 3 hours or 4 hours (the nearest big airport is St. Louis or Memphis or you can fly private as we do but you'll still have to drive an hour and a half) but it is worth it!

Girard, Kansas
“Wonderful Get-a-way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The spring was so majestic! The water was crystal clear and very cool (which is why you cant swim in it). The scenery was amazing, my boyfriend and I hiked all over that area and we were not disappointed! Our campsite was no more than a mile or two from the spring, right on the river. Big Spring campground was a very friendly place and took just near a minute for us to walk to the Current River, which was also extremely clear and cool! I want to make this an annual trip! Very beautiful and romantic. MUST SEE!!

Visited June 2013