“Budget friendly.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Montego Bay, Jamaica
“Budget friendly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights as we wanted to tour the sights in D.C. but did not wish to spend a king's ransom. The accommodation was adequate and the room clean. This is not luxury accommodation, but you do get what you pay for. There are little things that the hotel's management could do to make the property more appealing, such as pressure washing the corridors, staircases and having trash removed from the periphery of the property. The staff were friendly and very helpful with info. on getting around by Metro. The property is about 11 miles from the Capitol but is quickly reached by Metro for about $6.50 each way. If you are visiting for several days then you should buy a Metro smart card at the metro train station. I have stayed at Red Roof properties going back to the mid-80's. This is my third stay at this property and I hope to see a return to the attention to detail which Red Roof once had on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hot Springs, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I have stayed in hotels/motels all over the world. Some were more questionable than others. I pride myself on doing adequate research before staying somewhere. Boy oh boy was I "hood"winked by this one.

Where do I start?

First of all we had to check in through a little window. Not surprising considering it was close to dark and we were in a busy city. However, the window was in the same room as the noisiest vending and ice machines EVER and I could not hear nor understand the front desk agent.

Our room was obviously HEAVILY perfumed to mask a mysterious odor. Upon opening the door the smell took my breath.

There were questionable stains on each side of both comforters and hair in all corners of the bathroom.

I left before 8AM on the first day and returned after dark to find my room had not been cleaned even thou the cards were left on the pillows as instructed.
Needing clean towels, I walked to the front desk....window... and was ignored by both of the agents at the front. After pressing the buzzer I was given the "hold on one minute finger" and was ignored for another 10 or so minutes. I walked back to my room and called the front desk three times before anyone picked up. After asking if I needed to call for housekeeping services, I was asked 20 questions about the time spent in my room and when I stated that I had not been in the room all day I was told to come to the front to get my towels. I explained I was just there and the agent informed me he was "working on something" and hung up the phone. I was given my towels through the dirty window slot in the noisy vending machine room.

I never received my requested wake up call.

I did not receive my check out bill.

I could go on.....

Not a pleasant stay AT ALL. Maybe a cheaper hotel would have been better.

Room Tip: Chose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Okayama, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I selected this hotel over Memorial Day weekend die to it being budget friendly and it's location. The room I reserved came with a king bed on the first floor. It was clean and looked just like the picture. New flat screen, clean, small fridge and safe.

I was very disappointed in that although its a non smoking hotel, my room had a bad smoke smell to it. I believe this was because smoking is allowed right outside the rooms and this didn't help my allergies which caused a horrible night of sleep. This forced me to cancel the rest of my stay here. A possible solution is to possibly move the smoking further away from the building. The wifi was not great either as I was continuously having to reset to get on the Internet.

Staff was helpful and apologetic and even offered another room however it was on the first floor which would've had the same issues. Local restaurants in the area with a convenience store located close by.

• Stayed May 2014
i0181, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Oxon Hill, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Oxon Hill Red Roof. I am sorry that room smelled like smoke and wifi signal low; please accept my sincerest apologies. I want you to know that I will be working very closely to ensure immediate improvement to prevent any future occurrence.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Rooms are reasonable, but the last few times I stayed here the toilets are not cleaned throughly under the bowls.I usually stay here a couple of times a month for RR, and really have been satisified with my stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
i0181, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Oxon Hill, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Oxon Hill Red Roof. I am sorry that toilets are not cleaned under the bowls; please accept my sincerest apologies. I want you to know that I will be working very closely with my housekeeping teams to ensure immediate improvement to prevent any future occurrence.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed overnight in March 2014 when visiting a friend. The room was clean, comfy and a great value but what put the stay over the top was the service I received when checking in and checking out. It was so over the top that I was floored. The check in and check out receptionist's both went out of their way to assist me and it was greatly appreciated. Thanks for such great service!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the middle and the back are quieter because they are away from the lobby and the highw...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at Red Roof Inn Oxon Hill. I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
We look forward to seeing you in your future travels.
Bikas (GM)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I have been staying at Red Roof Inn Oxon Hill Maryland for 14 years because of the excellent sevice. I want to thank Jorge for helping me with my reservation. And Pamela for the wake up call befor I overslept. I made it my meeting on time.

• Stayed January 2014
i0181, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Oxon Hill, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments about your stay at the Red Roof Inn Oxon Hill. It is our desire that our guests have a great experience during their stay with us and so we always appreciate receiving a positive feedback. I have shared your comments with Jorge, Pam and the rest of the team and I can assure you that it has been a great encouragement to us as we continue to improve our product and services.
Thank you again and I hope you continue to have a great stay with the Red Roof Inns.
Bikas (GM)
6170 Oxon Hill Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
maldon essex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed here on Thursday 26th September but arriving late after a very tiring journey we found room 241 smelt of stale smoke- unpleasant and bad for my health as an asthmatic -we had been reassured by the claim made of non smoking rooms.
A plastic bag had been put over the smoke detector! Too tired to negotiate another room but told receptionist in morning. She apologised and said she would look into it but didn't seem surprised. If $200 dollars fine to be given to the offender then we should have also been offered some good will gesture regarding our booking?
Previous assurances on trip advisor given by the general manager of following up previous identical problem obviously not effective. Disappointing!!

Room Tip: Don't count on this being non smoking.
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
i0181, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Oxon Hill, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Oxon Hill Red Roof. I am sorry that room smelled like smoke; please accept my sincerest apologies. I want you to know that I will be working very closely with my housekeeping teams to ensure immediate improvement to prevent any future occurrence.
Bikas

Been to Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Oxon Hill? Share your experiences!