“Resort is like being on a cruise ship.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Christmas on the Potomac
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Atlanta, Georgia
“Resort is like being on a cruise ship.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Vlery nice resort. If you want the participants of a conference to stay put - this is great. For those who want to see DC - it is not the location they want. Food was very pricey - but this is a resort. Great pool, restaurants and areas to meet people for private chats. You will need a day to get your bearings - it is a huge property. You feel like you are on a cruise ship. Nice having free wireless internet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
bowie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

My husband was very excited about going to the Gaylord, the website and ads make you feel like you are going to experience world class service and accomodations. We did get the atrium room upgrade, but the toilet was stopped up when we got into our room; the air conditoner was rattling and the fridge ran all night long. They would not change our room, even though we would have settled for an average room. And nothing was offered to us for our trouble. very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010 via mobile

Secluded secluded secluded and shower curtain full of mold !!!! Not worth the money....no king bed.... List go on and on....

• Stayed June 2010
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Anyone who has stayed in Gaylord hotels know that these are monstrous size hotels that operate like a biosphere - it not only has the rooms but also a number of different restaurants, shops, bars, conference facilities and amenities such as a pool, fitness club and spa. You never need to step outside of the bubble!

The Gaylord National is no different. The only saving grace is that it is next to the newly built National Harbor area with more restaurant options, bars and shops. The location is great for that reason but if you are coming to the area to visit DC, you are best staying in the DC metro area. This hotel is quite far from the heart of the city.

Rooms were generous in size and the beds were quite comfortable. However this is where the compliments end. The cleanliness of the room was questionable - I wasn't impressed that there was a used towel hanging in the bathroom and a pubic hair in the shower. The towels were ratty and the sheets smelled, even though they were just changed. The bathroom had a lovely mildew odor.

I also wasn't impressed with the forced $15 "resort fee" that they charge, particularly because I didn't need anything listed except for the internet access. I also thought it was hilarious that the resort fee included a daily newspaper that I never saw once for the entire 3 days I was there. I ended up reading the news on my computer or phone each day.

I would have given 2 stars but I gave an extra star for the friendly staff. The people at registration were extremely nice to me and helped me with directions, maps, etc during my stay.

If it weren't for the conference I was attending at the Gaylord, I would not return to this hotel. If you have to go to a conference in National Harbor, stay at the Westin or the uber hip ALoft, both of which are literally a 2-5min walk from the Gaylord.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I am an event planner and had a group of about 130ppl staying at the hotel over a long weekend. My review is probably influenced a bit by the challenges I experienced dealing with the hotel in that respect but I would still only rank the hotel as average. The rooms overall are very nice. The decor and furnishing are on par with any other 3 - 4 star hotel. They do charge a $15 per day resort fee which includes wireless interenet which is nice along with some other amenites. The restaurants are very expensive at the hotel. The buffet lunch starts at $17 per person. We also ate at the seafood restaurant and it was expensive as well, but very good. If I was just a normal traveler I would say that one of their weakest spots is their Concierge/Transporation Desk. They are TERRIBLE. I actually had one of the girls ROLL HER EYES at me. She couldn't seem to understand the question I was asking, I finally gave up. On another occasion I asked the concierge for a list of activities for children at the hotel or nearby and he told me he didn't know of any? He finally recommended a Children's Museum that I later discovered doesn't open until 2013. They just seem unorganized and uninformed. Everything at the hotel is expensive and it is a bit off the beaten path for sightseeing. I wouldn't spend my own money to stay here.

Leesburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I stayed at the Gaylord National Harbor for 3 nights with my wife and 3 young kids when I had a convention there. It was a large hotel, similar to the other Gaylord Hotels, and the central atrium was very cool. The kids loved going in the glass elevators overlooking the atrium. The grounds were nicely kept, and had a nice view of the Potomac, and you could see Washington in the background, but there was also a nice view of the traffic on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. We were disappointed that there was only an indoor pool. It was plenty large, but it would have been nice to have an outdoor pool as well. The service was OK. Anytime I tried to call the front desk I had to stay on hold for about two minutes before they finally got to me. The place is very isolated. There is a small 'town center' next to the hotel, but other than that it is difficult to get around. The food was fine, nothing special, and being a captive audience there was not a lot of value there. I've heard the winter festival is fun with huge ice sculptures, but other than that I would not return. Also, having that much land around they sure do charge a lot for parking ($19 a night).

Clinton, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Please note that if you want a King Bed 9 times out of 10 you will not be getting one. Only 500 of their 2000 rooms have King beds. Even though Travelocity lists it as an option on here once you get to the hotel they will be putting you in a double room. Also customer service is AWFUL! They think that just because they are a Gaylord they don't have to accommodate customers that have been inconvenienced. They gave me a room I didn't want, I checked in at 6:25 and I didn't get to my room until 6:45 because the elevataors were over crowded. When I called for a manager to address the concerns I had with my room, NO ONE called me back. I thought that that was VERY disrespectful. I will NEVER give the Gaylord at the National Harbor any of my money EVER again. My money is just as good as anyone else's and I should have been responded to in a timely manner. Go somewhere where they will appreciate you as an individual and your choice to stay with their hotel because clearly the Gaylord needs some work on customer service. Also the beds were nice and soft but they made waaaay too much noise every little toss or turn made loud creeching noises....you pay too much money for that mess.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!