“Rude staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Christmas on the Potomac
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Iron River, Michigan
“Rude staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I was here strictly for an event. The hotel staff catered our breakfast for the event. The staff did not direct us where to go, what to do, where to sit. Nothing was guided or presented in a way that I knew where I was going. The wait staff that were providing the breakfast buffet were UNBELIEVABLY RUDE. Considering the price that I paid to attend this event I certainly did not appreciate the rude comments, behavior, and dismissive attitude of the staff.

Room Tip: I cannot provide any tips regarding the room due to the fact that we stayed at a more economic resor...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my family during Christmas, it was great, the kids loved it. The decors were lovely and the lighting was amazing.. definetly will revisit again
Rooms were very cleaned and many things to do in the hotel
Restaurants were yummy

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Rick S, Director of Operational Excellence at Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dreamy301, Thanks for visiting us all the way from Taiwan just to see our Christmas on the Potomac celebration. We are so glad that you enjoyed everything when you were with us and that you definitely plan on returning. We look forward to seeing you again. Warm Regards, Rick
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed here recently for a conference. Overall the hotel is very nice but I do take issue with them placing a hold on my credit card for the cost of the stay. Why? Because when I checked in I paid cash for the entire stay. Last I checked you don't need to worry about cash not clearing! In addition to the hold for my half of the cost of the room, they also placed a hold for my half of one day's resort fees (plus tax) and a hold for incidentals. So, though I paid $485 cash at check in, they placed $588 in holds on my credit card. I'm not sure why this happened as they also placed a hold on my roommates credit card for BOTH our halves of the room. No one at the Gaylord could explain why a hold for the room was placed for a guest who paid cash and no one could explain why my half of the room had an authorization on my credit card and my roommate's credit card. The could only say, "well it's fine because when you check out it will clear off of the card." That's not the point, how do you enjoy your stay at a resort with little to no room on your card? I spoke with 3 different staff and all said they did not know why my card had hold placed on it and none offered to move up the chain of command. It was like talking to one of those automated systems. Overall the hotel was nice but I did expect a little more when it came to correcting its own mistakes, especially since I over paid. They owed me cash back!

Room Tip: Bring comfortable shoes. Very large hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Rick S, Director of Operational Excellence at Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Poodle90, Thank you for staying with us at the Gaylord recently and glad to hear that besides for the credit card hold your stay was great. I apologize that we had put that large of a hold on your card. It sounds like the front desk agent should have applied your cash before running your card which would have only held enough money for additional incidental charges. By running your card first, it automatically authorized for room, tax and incidental charges. We will make sure we do some retraining with the team on this subject, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope to see you again in the future. Warm Regards, Rick
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Nice room, up to date decor, comfortable bed/pillows/sheets. Hot water and good water pressure. The place was packed. I was snowed in and grounded from leaving D.C. so had my stay extended. I have stayed at the one in Nashville and did like that one better, but this resort is very lovely too. Here on business, conference areas are terrific for large, LARGE crowds. Lights/audio worked well throughout the conference rooms as well. Food for our conferences was very good, service excellent. Check in and check out flawless/effortless.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the atrium is lovely, but a room overlooking the parking lot may be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HollyRNTennessee, Thanks for your recent review of our hotel. It sounds like you were with us in February when the big snow storm hit and you were snowed in like many of us also were. Hopefully you get to visit again in the future and the weather is much nicer so you can also enjoy the local area. Warm Regards, Rick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice. The first time was for Abbey Road on the Potomac (Beatles Festival) and the second just because we found the resort so romantic that we slipped away for 3 days. The location is convenient to great area restaurants, pubs and night life. Romantic walks along the waterfront are a must.

Do not let the size of this resort overwhelm you; the staff catered to all of our wishes, recommended great restaurants, when we did not eat at the resort, and must see sights.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

What a beautiful hotel and wonderful location. The shopping is terrific with a scavenger hunt for the children which kept them entertained. there is even a peeps store close by. The hotel itself is beautiful...but, that is where it ends. when I arrived by limo service, there was no bellman in sight (and it was not a busy time). my driver offered to get a kart and help me with my luggage. when we got to the door, a bellman mysteriously appeared and started yelling that I was not supposed to use the luggage kart...only bellman could. The next day, we were locked out of our room...due to a mistake in the reservation...that took almost an hour to get back into our room..all of our things were there...we were just locked out. That night, there was a party next door...when we called front desk, no one answered. we then tried concierge's desk, maid service...no one answered (and this was about eleven at night). we ended up having to go thru the 800 number for Gaylord and about 10 prompts. The hotel just needs some management help, more employees and just a tiny bit of sprucing up. what a shame to have such a wonderful facility and such lousy service.

Room Tip: try to get a room in section two and an odd room number to get a great view of the atrium and water...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
sophie_marie_11, I am very sorry to hear about your stay with us. There seems to be much more negative than positive that happened while you were here. I am not sure if you addressed your concerns with management at some point during your stay, but if you did not and would like to discuss them, please feel free to call me at 301-965-2109. Warm regards, Rick
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I joined hubby who was attending a conference at the Gaylord National in June 2014. The hotel, inside and out, was lovely and pretty darn big. The staff, for the most part, was very accommodating. But be warned - the prices at the hotel's restaurants, bars, etc., as well as every establishment at National Harbor, are very expensive. Folks who stay here are "captive" unless they have a car as there is no access to the Metro, and this hotel and all surrounding places take full advantage of that fact. The hotel does run a shuttle to the outlet mall and there is also a ferry from the boat dock over to Alexandria at a cost of about $16 roundtrip. The hotel is fine for a conference, but I would not stay here just to vacation.

Our room, which looked out over the main entrance of the hotel, was a corner room with two windows. Phillip, in customer service, picked it out for us as we called a day before arrival to find a "good" room that was near elevators and the conference center. It might be fun to stay overlooking the atrium, but it is very noisy as many others have written. The housekeeper, Nicole, was excellent, and did her best to meet every need. The only staff member who was less than helpful was, of all people, the concierge! We stopped by the desk around 5:30 one evening to ask for some restaurant suggestions. The concierge was clearly on a personal call, and did not even acknowledge us standing there for a couple of minutes. When she finally asked what we wanted, she didn't bother to hang up the phone. Her suggestions were not helpful at all and she flatly refused to call one restaurant we asked about because she said they didn't take reservations. Imagine our surprise when we went there anyway and the restaurant manager assured us that they did, indeed, accept reservations and would have appreciated a call from the hotel!

Room Tip: Be aware that this is a large hotel. You may want to stay near elevators and/or the conference cent...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Zinfandelover, Thanks for the recognition of Phillip and Nicole. I'll make sure that they are acknowledged in their departments for taking excellent care of you. I also appreciate the information about the concierge and apologize about that for happening. We will address this immediately with the team so it doesn't happen to someone else in the future. We hope to see you again here at the Gaylord in the future. Warm Regards, Rick

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!