“Not the "Winter Wonderland" I expected.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Christmas on the Potomac
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Richmond, Virginia
“Not the "Winter Wonderland" I expected.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The hotel is over priced. I'd rather pay for a cheap hotel with a nice staff than an expensive hotel and be disrespected. It seemed that all employees had a mission and it was not to please you. It was pretty chaotic and you could tell the staff felt that way at the restaurants. The elevators are PACKED, especially during check in time. Everything is wayyy overpriced. The "ICE" show was very pretty but VERY COLD! Please remember to take gloves, a hat and a giant coat. A parka is provided but is not enough, you need a coat too! Beware of the fees and use the coupon book they give you for the free giant cookies, it was a nice touch. The towels smelled, the only words I can think of to describe the smell is rubber, dirt and industrial. Let's just say, I would rather be home, looking at Christmas lights around my neighborhood than spend this kind of money. The lights were pretty but not as spectacular as I expected. I was very disappointed and expected SO much more. Upon checkout, the bell staff was rude, the check out attendant was rude and we would not recommend it again. I'm a pretty happy-go-lucky person and don't expect much. I was very sad with this hotel and feel it was a waste of a weekend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I made reservations for two nights at the Gaylord National back in February 2013. When I arrived to check-in on Friday, Dec 6, 2013, I was told that I would be moved to a hotel in Alexandria, VA because the Gaylord had been overbooked. I was not notified of any changes in my reservation until I arrived to the Gaylord check-in desk. They offered to comp my stay at the other hotel and also provided money for the cab fare, but I needed to be at the Gaylord Convention Center early Saturday morning. There was a threat of inclement weather; I did not want to have to stay across the river and have to find transportation back to the Gaylord early Saturday morning. I explained that this was a major inconvenience, especially since they wanted to move me back into the Gaylord for Saturday night, which would required me to unpack and re-pack all my belongings an extra time.

I was repeatedly told by the reception manager that this inconvenience "wasn't my fault," Of course it wasn't my fault, I made my reservation MONTHS in advance and they were the ones who overbooked the hotel and did not notify me of changes. To insinuate that I may have been frustrated because this was "my fault" was ludicrous and insulting, and completely out of line in the hospitality industry. I was also promised an upgrade from a standard room to an atrium room when I returned to stay at the Gaylord Saturday night. When I checked in, they told me they could not honor that upgrade. They had no atrium rooms ready and could not tell me when one would be available. At other "luxury hotels", a room would be made up for a guest who has already experienced one inconvenience after another; instead, I was put in a standard room and given at $50 discount on the room.

Over and over I was told that these inconveniences were due to circumstances outside the resort's control. This doesn't make sense: if a hotel overbooks too many rooms, it certainly is within their control. I have never felt more like a number instead of a guest at a hotel. The Gaylord needs to work on their management and hospitality skills.

Make sure you review you bill on check-out. I was charged for valet parking when I made it clear at reception that I had self-parked my car.

The day after my stay the Gaylord emailed a survey asking about my stay. I wrote my review and asked to be they contacted by someone. I never got an email or a call from corporate. Obviously Gaylord is not interested in what you have to say if you don't have something positive to review. My husband and I travel a lot and have stayed in much nicer hotels; I will take my business back to one of those next time rather than stay at a Gaylord hotel. Beware!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel during mHealth summit 2013 and whilst I found the decorations amazing and the room was comfortable but basic, the price was shocking. Hugely over priced for location and what you get for the room. Few examples of positive and negative experiences:
1- I requested a shoe polish cloth and I was told to use the towel!
2- Also had an issue with the light bulb in my bathroom which was fixed immediately.
3- The iron in the room wasn't working so I reported it but no action was taken and upon second request it was changed.
4- We had a meeting room at conference center and towards the end discovered a small gap between the divider with the next door room, which I think was assigned to a competitor.

Overall, I would not recommend it to anyone unless you are forced to stay there like we did.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I spent a few nights here to celebrate our anniversary - and took advantage of a great special National Resort was offering. The hotel rooms were very nice - as was the rest of the resort. The spa was FANTASTIC.
We took the water taxi to a Nationals Baseball game - so fun! Definitely recommend staying here if you're in the DC area and don't need to be in the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for an event. The room was very clean and everything worked (e.g., hot water, iron, etc.). The room was relatively quiet. My only complaint at the hotel is the National Pastime restaurant. When the restaurant was crowded, we had to wait 2.5 hours to get our food. However, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. (The area outside the hotel is safe and very walkable.)

The fitness center in the hotel is nicely sized (larger than most). It had a nice selection of dumbbells. It had just a few Nautilus-style machines and some treadmills and bikes. So, the selection of exercise equipment was a bit better than what you usually see. I believe that the fitness center was open 24-hours.

There is a convenience store, of sorts, on the atrium level of the hotel where you can purchase bottles of water. However, two bottles of water are complimentary each day. (This is definitely good if you will be busy and may not have time to pick up any water.)

Unfortunately, the hotel room did not seem to have a safe to lock up valuables.

In terms of the layout of the hotel for events, I always find the "Convention Center" side of the hotel confusing. You can access the Convention Center from the second floor of the hotel as they connect to each other.

The fifth floor of the hotel has Room 5221 on the hotel side which can be used for a private party. If you enter the room, you will soon see that it is an "open" space and you will be able to see the holiday decorations which are up in the main area of the hotel's open space. Quite a nice site.

There is a CVS which is just a few blocks from the hotel (near the restuarants and such).

There are generally taxi cabs always waiting outside of the hotel. The hotel is about 15-20 minutes away from Reagan National Airport (DCA).

All in all, staying at this hotel was a great experience.

Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I've seen a lot of hotels decorated for the holidays but this was awesome. I was there for business and I still felt that holiday spirit. Everything was beautiful. Sports bar food was great............

Room Tip: The atrium view was pretty but a little noisy
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Our trade association signed a ten year contract to hold our annual conference at the Gaylord. Before we were at different hotels in DC. Close, but no cigar. It's a $40 cab ride to any of the sights in our nations capital and a $100 ride to Dulles Airport. You are trapped, so forget about bringing the family and having the kids go to the Smithsonian while your attending the conference. The building is beautiful, but other than shopping there is nothing to do. Everything is resort priced because you don't have a lot of options. It's a Marriott but doesn't have an executive lounge. Breakfast downstairs is very, very expensive with a limited selection. Resort fee is tacked on so even if you are Marriott Elite you still pay for internet. After the first year of the contract so many of our members defected to other properties the trade association instituted a surcharge of $250 for conference attendees who don't stay at the Gaylord. Because the hotel is large you get a sense of impersonality. Staff I did interact with were friendly and helpful. However, my wakeup call was missed two mornings in a row. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of nights in Marriotts around the world and this one is a miss.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!