I made reservations for two nights at the Gaylord National back in February 2013. When I arrived to check-in on Friday, Dec 6, 2013, I was told that I would be moved to a hotel in Alexandria, VA because the Gaylord had been overbooked. I was not notified of any changes in my reservation until I arrived to the Gaylord check-in desk. They offered to comp my stay at the other hotel and also provided money for the cab fare, but I needed to be at the Gaylord Convention Center early Saturday morning. There was a threat of inclement weather; I did not want to have to stay across the river and have to find transportation back to the Gaylord early Saturday morning. I explained that this was a major inconvenience, especially since they wanted to move me back into the Gaylord for Saturday night, which would required me to unpack and re-pack all my belongings an extra time.
I was repeatedly told by the reception manager that this inconvenience "wasn't my fault," Of course it wasn't my fault, I made my reservation MONTHS in advance and they were the ones who overbooked the hotel and did not notify me of changes. To insinuate that I may have been frustrated because this was "my fault" was ludicrous and insulting, and completely out of line in the hospitality industry. I was also promised an upgrade from a standard room to an atrium room when I returned to stay at the Gaylord Saturday night. When I checked in, they told me they could not honor that upgrade. They had no atrium rooms ready and could not tell me when one would be available. At other "luxury hotels", a room would be made up for a guest who has already experienced one inconvenience after another; instead, I was put in a standard room and given at $50 discount on the room.
Over and over I was told that these inconveniences were due to circumstances outside the resort's control. This doesn't make sense: if a hotel overbooks too many rooms, it certainly is within their control. I have never felt more like a number instead of a guest at a hotel. The Gaylord needs to work on their management and hospitality skills.
Make sure you review you bill on check-out. I was charged for valet parking when I made it clear at reception that I had self-parked my car.
The day after my stay the Gaylord emailed a survey asking about my stay. I wrote my review and asked to be they contacted by someone. I never got an email or a call from corporate. Obviously Gaylord is not interested in what you have to say if you don't have something positive to review. My husband and I travel a lot and have stayed in much nicer hotels; I will take my business back to one of those next time rather than stay at a Gaylord hotel. Beware!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly opened along the banks of the Potomac, the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center is the newest monumental addition to the national capital region. With 2,000 luxurious guest rooms, including 110 lavish suites, and 470,000 square feet of meeting, convention and exhibition space, it’s the largest combined hotel and convention center on the Eastern Seaboard. Here, guests will also enjoy four signature restaurants, a 20,000-square-foot spa, the area’s hottest ultra lounge, elegant retail shops and a magnificent waterfront promenade boasting a full-service marina and views of nearby Washington D.C. and Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Gaylord National will be the cornerstone of the highly anticipated National Harbor project, a 300-acre waterfront destination offering world-class dining, retail and entertainment venues in Prince Georges County, MD. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Marriott, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord National Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord National Hotel Oxon Hill
- Gaylord National Oxon Hill