“Too Far From DC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Portland, Oregon
“Too Far From DC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Our trade association signed a ten year contract to hold our annual conference at the Gaylord. Before we were at different hotels in DC. Close, but no cigar. It's a $40 cab ride to any of the sights in our nations capital and a $100 ride to Dulles Airport. You are trapped, so forget about bringing the family and having the kids go to the Smithsonian while your attending the conference. The building is beautiful, but other than shopping there is nothing to do. Everything is resort priced because you don't have a lot of options. It's a Marriott but doesn't have an executive lounge. Breakfast downstairs is very, very expensive with a limited selection. Resort fee is tacked on so even if you are Marriott Elite you still pay for internet. After the first year of the contract so many of our members defected to other properties the trade association instituted a surcharge of $250 for conference attendees who don't stay at the Gaylord. Because the hotel is large you get a sense of impersonality. Staff I did interact with were friendly and helpful. However, my wakeup call was missed two mornings in a row. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of nights in Marriotts around the world and this one is a miss.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed at hotel for convention. This area is an artificial setting, so keeping that in mind...typical Marriott (good) room. Bed and bedding is sooo comfortable, bathroom clean, well-appointed. Cleaning staff did a great job (and hotel was filled with two different juvenile groups). Place is busy from doormen, baggage, check-in, check-out etc, but all was handled well. (Would suggest giving yourself 10-15 min extra time, over what you would normally allow). This was a good stay for a convention or family reunion. This is not where I would stay if I wanted to see anything regarding the city.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms look over the atrium, which is looking down upon it's own little village--very pre...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Niagara Falls, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed recently to massage a client from the Redskins before their Monday night game. This place was GORGEOUS! Great service on the way in. Beautifully decorated for Christmas. Not very impressed on the way out. Wasn't able to get in touch with anyone to help me with my bags (many purchases + massage table). Literally walked past SEVERAL employees on my way down to my vehicle who didn't offer to help me. I ended up leaving with a REALLY bad taste in my mouth because of it. Of course, once I was 5 feet from the truck, EVERYONE offered help, to which I declined. After the valet guy INSISTED on helping even though I declined twice, he then decided to drop my bag that he was carrying in a puddle and walk away. So disappointing to leave on a bad note after how great the service had been.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

The gaylord is a fancy huge hotel, no sense to sleep ther if you don't visit a convention there as it is far away from anything and very very costly. What made me feel cheated is the hidden resort charges that are 10% extra and are not presented initially. If it's not exteremely cold, get out from teh hotel and ask the conciege for places to eat..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Just outside of DC, National Harbor is in PG county but feels like its own city. The harbor is filled with people during summertime and boasts restaurant and hotels. You can see DC across the bridge if you look from a high distance.. I stayed at this hotel for a meeting of certain circumstances instead of meeting in a regular dc hotel. Bearing the American flag from the ceiling, I immediately felt the hotel's historical theme and American ambiance The hotel was very well decorated and scenic. It was far nicer than I would have imagined and is a much nicer hotel than other high-end DC hotels. I definitely recommend visiting, even if a stay isn't in the plan.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Potomac, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I cannot write a review that critiques any of this hotel's features as my reservation was not respected at check-in. I had booked a room in February for my daughter’s dance competition in December because I knew this was going to be an extremely long and stressful weekend for my 4-year-old son and me. I was told at check-in, which I approached at exactly 3pm, that I was being bumped to a hotel across the river; I had received a confirmation for a deluxe room at the Gaylord just a few days earlier. This was completely unacceptable to me and I cancelled for the night and the following night, found my daughter a friend to stay with and went home. I know rooms were available at the time I was at the desk since friends were able to check in later with little trouble. I will now boycott all Gaylord’s, and Marriott’s in general, until I receive an apology and a satisfactory explanation as to how this happened and why I was signaled out, as if that will happen!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This hotel is located in National Harbor, just outside of DC, but you can (literally) see DC across the bay/bridge. I stayed at this hotel for a meeting pre-Thanksgiving.

The hotel was very well decorated and scenic. It was far nicer than I would have imagined and is a much nicer hotel than other high-end DC hotels I have stayed in previously. Generally, the service was good. One thing to be aware of is that the hotel rooms occupy an enormous space and it is easy to get confused finding rooms (the room number direction signs were misleading/wrong).

The meeting space was also well layed out, plentiful and easily accessible from/connected to the hotel. The meeting room had wifi (password required) and the other typical large meeting things that were needed. The meeting food was also surprisingly good.

The hotel has a large sports bar, which was pretty well done and worth going to. Although I checked out the indoor pool and exercise room, which seemed nice, I did not get a chance to use them. There's also a top floor dance club, with free cover charge to hotel guests. The club decor is ultra-contemporary (all white!) and the view was pretty cool from up there (and you can go outside onto this balcony!). However, the music was a bit "off" for my tastes (I would rather they have played current Pop dance music, rather than whatever rap/groove they were playing).

There were a few shops in the hotel and a Santa and Gingerbread man were walking around (the hotel photographer will snap your pic and then you can purchase your pics at some booth). There were nightly fireworks (at 6 PM and 8 PM - I think?), which can be seen looking out from the courtyard. I am not sure if the fireworks are year-round or just during the "holiday season."

There are several nice restaurants and shops outside the hotel, in the surrounding area, in a harbor-esque street venue. I did feel that the out-of-hotel dining options were fewer than desirable for this large a hotel.

I would easily stay here again for a meeting in the DC area and would prefer to stay here rather than other high-end hotel in DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the large courtyard (you can see the fireworks from there!).
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!