This place is huge, but it's a convention center, so that's to be expected. The atrium and conference areas are awesome! The Potomac is just outside the door, and the general area is great.
Rooms: The rooms were fine. The beds were adequate: one of them creaked pretty much and both had a wooden frame around the bottom - perfect for banging your leg in the dark (why have these at all?) The Internet (*see below) worked fine. Overall, a pretty average room in a fancy hotel.
Check-in took forever: I was 4th in line and it just crawled. Check-out: I was 3rd in line and it took about 20 minutes. No idea why!
Parking: very expensive, self or valet. There are other options nearby. No delf-use luggage carts (again, to be expected at a resort).
* pricey: Your rate doesn't include the "resort fee" or parking. For us, that added about $40-$60/day for both. The resort fee includes Internet and... was it just Internet? Internet and the privilege of being there?
We asked about a room upgrade and it was "$250 per night additional" Additional?!? It was an easy 'no'. I saw an earlier review talking about wildly different rates, and it makes sense. I suspect that's true.
We didn't eat in the hotel - everything seemed pretty pricey. There are plenty of places to eat in the complex around the resort.
One disadvantage is that the area is nowhere near the Metro in D.C. You can take a free shuttle (note - the Gaylord isn't in with the 'free shuttle' but the other hotels are. Just step on the shuttle and show your room key - it works). Take the shuttle to King St. Metro. The water taxi works also, or a cab, but not as convenient to get all around D.C.
Note - we also stayed across the street at the Residence Inn (I reviewed that as well) and they have some issues. So, would I stay here again? I'd certainly look at the other hotels at the Harbor first, but I would consider staying here.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord National Hotel Oxon Hill
- Gaylord National Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord National Hotel
- Gaylord National Oxon Hill
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly opened along the banks of the Potomac, the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center is the newest monumental addition to the national capital region. With 2,000 luxurious guest rooms, including 110 lavish suites, and 470,000 square feet of meeting, convention and exhibition space, it’s the largest combined hotel and convention center on the Eastern Seaboard. Here, guests will also enjoy four signature restaurants, a 20,000-square-foot spa, the area’s hottest ultra lounge, elegant retail shops and a magnificent waterfront promenade boasting a full-service marina and views of nearby Washington D.C. and Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Gaylord National will be the cornerstone of the highly anticipated National Harbor project, a 300-acre waterfront destination offering world-class dining, retail and entertainment venues in Prince Georges County, MD. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Priceline, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.