“Middling place to go. Bring a thick wallet” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Oxon Hill
Connecticut
“Middling place to go. Bring a thick wallet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Went here for a large convention. Of course, it's expensive because you're "close" to DC. But really, it gets a bit silly.

The ripoffs start at the check-in. "Oh, you have an expensive room already. How about paying for an upgrade to one with a balcony and view?" If you don't chip in an extra $25/day, you are stuck on the 2nd floor with no balcony and no view. Thanks. We chose the upgrade, but were only moved to the fifth floor. Little view. Not so great. Then, you see the $18/day "resort fee." I don't even think you can refuse this one. They say it covers going to the pool, the workout room, internet access, etc. Thanks for not already including that in the $250 room already. Oh, and then when you connect to the internet in your room, you realize it's painfully slow. The message tells you that for ANOTHER $7.99/day, you can connect with a faster speed. No thanks. Yes, my company is paying for all this, but sheesh, the ripoffs have got to stop somewhere.

Conference food was terrible. If you're low-carb, forget it. Almost nothing to choose, especially at breakfast. And the staff is as inattentive as can be. We were at one lunch and the only choices for drinks were water and iced tea. No soft drinks. After lunch, when walking out, I saw that another table had soft drinks. When asked where they got them, I was told you had to ask a server for them. None were put out to choose from. Sheesh. Burgers at the sports bar were good. Coffee at the Java place was good, too.

Not much to do at this "resort." Yes, you're on the river and can walk down to the other restaurants (also very expensive), but not much there either. No comfortable places to hang out on the water. No beach, really. VERY short walking area along the water. Really a waste of a space, I think. At the so-called Gaylord "resort," the word "resort" is taken to a absurdity. There is no beach, no tennis, no golf - not much of anything other than the pool, which is nice. There is a spa so you can get a massage, etc., but most of don't use those.

One other issue: you are FAR away from the mall in DC. You have to take an expensive taxi to get down there, or you can get on a shuttle ($20 r/t, which is not bad). But there is no subway or bus service to get down to the museums, etc. There is a nice water taxi ride that takes you to Alexandria with shopping and restaurants. That's quite nice. Buy your tickets online and save $2.

Overall, I'd say don't stay here unless you have to. And if you do, you better have a thick wallet and be ready for them to squeeze every dollar out of you they can.

Room Tip: May as well pay the ripoff $25/day for the upgraded room. Insist on being put in a high-up room. A...

2,278 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
ernestoc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Attended a conference and stayed for 6 days, taxes were over $38 per day! Great service, great cleaning people. The food is poor at best...both during the conference as well as the poor selection of restaurants inside....also over priced! Go across the street and shop for better food and lower prices....not too much lower...but worth a nice walk. I rented a car for one day and you need to beware of the Hertz prices on site....I got the same car by calling the Hertz 800 number, instead of the $140 plus quote onside. Also, no taxis....your two options are town cars or calling your own shuttle to the airport. no airport shuttles or other transportation like the Orlando Gaylord. The water taxi tours are available but on your own for the cost. I recommend crossing the river into Virginia the room taxes are great....we crossed over to Crystal and loved the brand new Renisance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Yes, the atrium is pretty but that's about it. I'm not sleeping at the atrium so that's not going to do it for me.

Initially the check-in was friendly, but not necessarily forthcoming with helpfulness. We wandered around the 10th floor on the wrong side of the building to find our room number not existing. We didn't realize there was another side of rooms until we came back down and asked the concierge. We should have been directed where to go to during our check-in.

Our room had a stained duvet that looked like a blood stain that might not have come out. I took a picture of this as evidence. We also ran out of toilet paper, and went to get a roll for ourselves in the housekeeper closet. Usually, there's an extra roll in the room, but there was an extra box of tissues. I'm not sure how to interpret that. Additionally, we didn't get a refill on our shampoo either. Luckily, I bring my own just in case even with issues of having this and other liquids going through the security line at the airport. This seemed to be a re-occurring theme as we weren't able to get ice on our floor, and the vending machine that wasn't working correctly. We pushed for a Pepsi twice, in case we pushed the wrong button before, and got 2 bottles of water. We already get 2 bottles of water daily with our resort fee that I wasn't aware of until we checked in. So there was really no need for us to have extra water and be charged additionally, and not get the soda we wanted. I did call the front desk about this, and she told me that since the store in the Atrium is closed that I would have to leave a voice message. She connected me to a line where there was a dial tone for over a minute at least and clearly no answering machine. I had to hang up and redial again to have her picking up after she was moving away from a conversation in which she was still laughing over. I felt unimpressed with the lack of concern as she tried to find the right voice message box to direct me to again. I did leave a message with my name and room number twice, and I never received a call back during the rest of my stay here. So, we were left with no Pepsi, extra charges, and no reimbursement. I am surprised with the lack of empowerment that employees have to make things right for their guest/s.

I am utterly frustrated and unhappy that my boyfriend and I chose to stay here for an extra vacation day prior to my conference that I was attending here. I woke up early at 5:30am to hearing a very loud conversation that sounded like it was right next to my ear, either next door or outside the hall which was really annoying. The second time was with the loudspeaker announcement that it was safe for people to enter the building. Apparently, I missed the emergency and wasn't notified to evacuate...? It felt the hotel was unprepared and understaffed. The conference was behind on getting food out and not coming fast enough for people. Additionally, the internet wi-fi service had intermittent connectivity which is pretty critical for a software conference, people working on business, and just for anyone that needed to get access online. This is the most expensive hotel I have stayed at. For the nightly rate that I was paying I expected a lot, but even the basics seemed to be off the mark. This was one of the worst experiences I have had. I have always enjoyed my stays with the Marriott brands and am a points member, and this is leaving me hesitant to choose them again. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone. I feel like I wasted money and wished I stayed at another hotel.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My family of five traveled to the Gaylord for the 4th of July weekend. My daughters were really looking forward to staying at the harbor and watching the fireworks from our room. Our room was on a high floor facing towards DC. Great view, great ambienace. However, the fireworks were cancelled due to possible thunderstorms. Needless to say, there were no thunderstorms. We did enjoy the pool while we were there, but there was nothing else for us to do at night with children under nine....

Room Tip: The breakfast buffet is between $20 - $30 pp. If you want an a la carte breaksfast and don't wan...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Huntsville, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel was nice but had limited food places and shopping places. The rooms were ok but carpet needed cleaning. The rooms were also hot and fans were not available.
The staff was nice but in the gift shop they would not honored tax free weekend.

Room Tip: take your own fans if you are hot nature.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed three nights for the Tableau convention and the service was top-notch. Every employee I encountered had a smile on their face and was very professional.
This is a very large convention hotel located a few miles away from DC in a newly created "neighborhood" of other hotels, shops, and restaurants. The hotel & convention space is massive, but well-organized.
The hotel is not inexpensive and adding to the cost is the ridiculous "Resort Fee" covering items like bottled water, WiFi, Fitness Center & Pool, daily newspaper - all items that should be complimentary at a hotel of this caliber.
If I were traveling for fun & not work, this would not be my hotel (or location) of choice as I prefer centrally-located boutique hotels. However, it was ideal for convenient access to the convention.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great convention resort with all the feel of an outdoor village enclosed in a gigantic atrium. Each of the stores in the is located in a cottage in the village. a short ferry to Old Town Alexandria is ideal for shopping and great food.

Room Tip: Eat at the steak house it is great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!