“Good location and hotel for conference” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Oxon Hill
Coppell, Texas
“Good location and hotel for conference”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Gaylord at National Harbor in late May for work conference. The hotel is part of the National Harbor that includes multiple restaurants, hotels and shops. The location is south of Washington DC and across the river from Alexandria, VA. The hotel is very clean and is similar to other Gaylord properties in Dallas and Orlando. It is great for conferences due to having everything in one place. The room is very expensive for what you get. Plus, there is $15/day resort fee tacked onto the bill which I did not get what you paid for. Things are very expensive at the property primarily food and drink. You are paying for convenience. The location is about 15-20 minute cab ride from downtown DC. That is big negative.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

2,313 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a review from the last two times I have been here combined because I was not on Trip Advisor two years ago... This place is pricey and if my conference was not here I definately couldn't go on my own dime.. I love the views and the Atrium. It was nice to feel like I was outside but not (and thank goodness because it was 100 degrees outside!) I love fountains and flowers so I could sit in the Atrium all day. The outside grounds were nice too. Our room was fine. Clean and cozy and quiet. The shower had great pressure- always a plus. The conference center was good. We ate elsewhere due to high prices inside.
The minuses this trip were: 1)I was told they needed my card for incidentals- that I wouldn't be charged unless I authorized it. I found out when my card was denied later that they had charged it. 8 days later my card was refunded- not cool when you are travelling that $200 was all of a sudden unavailable! 2)It costs alot to head to any DC sites- and they banned taxis from picking up patrons so they would take the Gaylord provided shuttels (which were almost double in cost!) we walked a block to get a taxi. 3) There were leaks and some places in the hotel including my co-worker's room! 4) Called for extra towels because we do not get our room cleaned while we stay and they only brought me one set that did not seem as clean as our original set- stained and scratchy.
The night before we were leaving DC had a huge water main break- fortunately our flight was at 2pm the next day but I was bummed they cancelled the last day of my conference. I guess they had to worry about toilets with the number of people we had but at 10:30am before we checked out I was still able to flush mine... Jus glad I didnt have to deal with looking for another hotel like some people.

Room Tip: If you are attending a conference make sure you ask for a room on the conference side. I didnt last...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Narragansett, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is beautiful definitely up to Marriot standards. Rooms are great, large and very clean. Well equipped gym with treadmills and free weights. There sre several dining options within the property as well as the surrounding area.

• Stayed June 2013
Parrish, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Their convention facilities are above the best but that is about all they offer.The hotel itself is very nice, staff was great but this is a very poor selection if you are wanting to tour in DC. It is not a hop skip and a jump to get to DC....it is a long expensive taxi ride unless you want to spend hours on public transportation. Breakfast could have been an expensive $20+ omelet at the buffet if the corner coffee shop hadn't offered pastries and breakfast sandwiches. Having stayed at other Gaylord facilities in the past I was very disappointed in this one overall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Would highly recommend staying here if you have the budget and conference on site. If you're traveling to the national mall i'd recommend not staying here as it's an expensive taxi ride if you don't have a rental/own car.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Linden, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had the same exact experience at the conference as Karen 723, except that, in addition to all she mentioned, I was put in a hospitality room the first night with a fold out sofa bed at $220 per night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
La Canada, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is one of those convention hotels where high levels of service and cleanliness rivals those of 5 star properties. Although I attended a convention with thousands of people, the housekeepers, servers and front desk were always prompt to provide a service or bring an article requested. The key word here is promptness. I never had to wait more than a few seconds or minutes to have my requests met.

Rooms are the right size, with sufficient amenities to meet the needs of the business traveler. WiFi Signal is strong throughout. Desks have fancy chairs, but they are not ergonomic, so after a couple of hours of work, it may be tiring. Sounds insulation is superb! I was next to a family of 5 occupying one room, yet once they got inside their room, i could barely hear them. Rooms are extremely clean, beds very comfortable, electrical outlets are plentiful and lighting sufficient if not almost too bright.

I have been to this property twice and I can;t think of any other property in the DC area where I would want to go for a large conference.

Room Tip: Ideally, you'd want to stay closer to the Potomac and the distance to the elevators is rather fa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!