I recently attended a 4 day conference at the Gaylord. This was my third stay for meetings.
Check-in was smooth. Be sure to get your Marriott points! The hotel itself is sprawling. If you carry your own luggage, keep in mind you'll be walking much more than at the usual hotel.
My room was clean and nicely decorated in a traditional style. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom spacious and nice.
The grounds and public spaces are very nice. No time for the pool and recreation, though it seems very attractive. All the food I ate was conference food and I have to say -- compared with most conference hotel experience, they did a creative job of offering very tasty food. Kudos on that unique achievement!
I did run into a two issues that pointed out the foibles of being such a big property. My room was missing an iron. I called and requested one from housekeeping. They told me they would bring one when they cleaned the room. They didn't. I called again and this time was told they had "too many broken irons and needed to order some." Needing an iron before a forma event, I went and found someone in housekeeping who hunted down an iron for me. He did solve my issue but it took real persistence on my part.
My other issue was a special request I had made a check-in to split my nights between two bills. Turns out they charged me twice. At first the person at the front desk insisted they had not charged me twice. I asked for the manager who, indeed, found the issue and reversed the double charge.
So bottom line, this place works well when everything is on autopilot. Any special request -- a missing iron, a split bill -- caused confusion and took work to get it figured out.
If you have a conference there or especially want to stay at National Harbor, it's a good choice. Just not need to go out of your way if you're just visiting DC. There are much better options there.
Let me know if this review was helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly opened along the banks of the Potomac, the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center is the newest monumental addition to the national capital region. With 2,000 luxurious guest rooms, including 110 lavish suites, and 470,000 square feet of meeting, convention and exhibition space, it’s the largest combined hotel and convention center on the Eastern Seaboard. Here, guests will also enjoy four signature restaurants, a 20,000-square-foot spa, the area’s hottest ultra lounge, elegant retail shops and a magnificent waterfront promenade boasting a full-service marina and views of nearby Washington D.C. and Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Gaylord National will be the cornerstone of the highly anticipated National Harbor project, a 300-acre waterfront destination offering world-class dining, retail and entertainment venues in Prince Georges County, MD. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord National Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord National Hotel Oxon Hill
- Gaylord National Oxon Hill