“Good Hotel poor location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Oxon Hill
Burnley, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel poor location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great hotel for convention facilities but a long way out of Washington for the tourist sights and poor public transport to get there.The hotel is huge and has impressive facilities but is very expensive for rooms and restaurants if you are not there on company business. There are a lot of eating places directly in front of the hotel and you can eat there a lot cheaper than the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from lifts.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

2,351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel was fantastic for the first stop on a get-away adventure over Valentine's Day. The experience my wife and I had was very positive and memorable. We would not hesitate to return again. There were no flaws in our stay. The resort is impressive. Our room was very comfortable and had a great view of the atrium. The service was top-notch throughout our stay and best of all was not overbearing or intrusive. There is a lot to do and everything is very conveniently located. We did a little shopping, checked out the large pool, had dinner and drinks, enjoyed the fountain show and had a great evening. The room was very dark and quiet. Excellent stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have stayed at all the Gaylord hotels at least four times each,yet I only have problem with this location only. The problem is the front staff. The issue is the upsale and billing. First time we stayed here, the front desk advised us, if we wanted a connecting room we have to upgrade our rooms to rooms which is facing in. When you have kids with you, you pay the extra $40 dollars per room. Last month we had comvention again, they tried to upgrade our room, but this time we refuesed....and guess what the regular room are connecting as well. We saved $400. But wait, we got charged for valet parking on both rooms and self parking on one room. We came with one car only. If my husband did not check the invoice, they would have gotten away with this. We advised our friends as well, they checked their invoices and they had issues as well ie resort fee charged twice, wrong bar bills charged to the room etc. It seems all the staff is new and on commisssion. We are glad next year our convention is in nashville, hopefully, we don't have to come back here. THe rooms and the hallways are not cleaned properly, we found bunch of gummy bears at the corner beside the bed and the hallways were never vaccumed...there was a peice of paper on the carpet in the hallway, we saw it as we checked in and the same paper was still there when we checked out. The room service food was left outside for 2 days before someone removed it, most probably it was a guest because it really smelled bad...

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for upgrades and choose a room close to elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I'll start by saying I can see why event planners and business travelers would give this place high marks.

As a guest who had to fork out my own shells on this overpriced gem, I have a very different opinion though. Having paid what seemed like an exorbitant nightly rate, I came in expecting to find the height of extravagance and convenience. Was literally shocked to immediately notice our "deluxe" room had no mini-fridge, and few other conveniences you'd hope for. Surprised too, finding discarded candy on the floor between the beds, and one of our complimentary coffee packs missing (yes, we paid for more the next morning downstairs).

Food at the hotel was overpriced (goes w/o saying) and not very good, with pretty limited selection.

Room Tip: I'd stay at a neighboring hotel, enjoy the free breakfast, and then walk across the pretty stree...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the Gaylord National Resort for a meeting and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff were excellent. The room was clean and quiet. There are also a lot of nice restaurants within walking distance. They also provide free shuttle service to downtown Washington, Dc. I would recommend this place. I do regret not being able to visit the family area located in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I visited the Gaylord for a work conference and stayed from Sunday-Thursday in February. It was a very enjoyable experience. I've been to many conferences and this center was not as immense and was easier to access from the hotel than many others. The conference halls in the convention were typical but it provided enough space and seemed cozier and easier to navigate. It was really nice to not have to get dressed for the weather and walk 2 miles before I even got to the conference.

The rooms were perfect for my needs although the desk chair was way too heavy to move - even back away from the desk. The bathroom was immaculate and the shower was good enough pressure.

The food was ok - not great - not really bad. I ate at the sports bar during the super bowl.I had a good burger and the service by Anita was very good despite the crowd. The breakfast and lunch buffet was blah but only $14.95 for enough food.
There were a few restaurants down the street which were ok. The Cadillac Ranch had good burgers. Can you tell I like burgers?

Transportation to DC is cumbersome but we had a shuttle as a group so it wasn't a problem.

The "Resort" title was kind of mystery to me and maybe that becomes apparent in the summer. It's not the first place I would think of as a resort but then again my conference was so interesting I really wasn't in a "Resort" mentality. It did have this fountain light show in the middle of the hotel which was nice but didn't turn off during the Super Bowl.

Their business services store - the eleventh hour- was great for me. Mannie, one of their staff, really helped me solve a problem with business cards which I greatly appreciated. He and the rest of the staff were friendly and very hard working.

The front desk was fast in check in and out and helpful. The Super Shuttle to the Gaylord was only $33 round trip to Reagan Natl Airport with a prior reservation. It takes you directly from the airport to the hotel and vice versa without 15 stops at other hotels.

I would definitely recommend the Gaylord for a conference destination.

• Stayed February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The is a very good convention hotel with excellent facilities for meetings and conferences. Rooms are spacious and tastefully done. Service is efficient. Food quality is passable. The room rates are pretty high and about 1/3 higher than the Westin that is about 100m away. The National Harbor area provides some shopping and food options within walking vicinity. This is too much a concrete elephant for me and do not provide much resort feel. I will only stay here if I attending a conference.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!