“The worst Gaylord Resort and Convention Center” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Oxon Hill
Toronto
“The worst Gaylord Resort and Convention Center”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have stayed at all the Gaylord hotels at least four times each,yet I only have problem with this location only. The problem is the front staff. The issue is the upsale and billing. First time we stayed here, the front desk advised us, if we wanted a connecting room we have to upgrade our rooms to rooms which is facing in. When you have kids with you, you pay the extra $40 dollars per room. Last month we had comvention again, they tried to upgrade our room, but this time we refuesed....and guess what the regular room are connecting as well. We saved $400. But wait, we got charged for valet parking on both rooms and self parking on one room. We came with one car only. If my husband did not check the invoice, they would have gotten away with this. We advised our friends as well, they checked their invoices and they had issues as well ie resort fee charged twice, wrong bar bills charged to the room etc. It seems all the staff is new and on commisssion. We are glad next year our convention is in nashville, hopefully, we don't have to come back here. THe rooms and the hallways are not cleaned properly, we found bunch of gummy bears at the corner beside the bed and the hallways were never vaccumed...there was a peice of paper on the carpet in the hallway, we saw it as we checked in and the same paper was still there when we checked out. The room service food was left outside for 2 days before someone removed it, most probably it was a guest because it really smelled bad...

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for upgrades and choose a room close to elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

2,347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I'll start by saying I can see why event planners and business travelers would give this place high marks.

As a guest who had to fork out my own shells on this overpriced gem, I have a very different opinion though. Having paid what seemed like an exorbitant nightly rate, I came in expecting to find the height of extravagance and convenience. Was literally shocked to immediately notice our "deluxe" room had no mini-fridge, and few other conveniences you'd hope for. Surprised too, finding discarded candy on the floor between the beds, and one of our complimentary coffee packs missing (yes, we paid for more the next morning downstairs).

Food at the hotel was overpriced (goes w/o saying) and not very good, with pretty limited selection.

Room Tip: I'd stay at a neighboring hotel, enjoy the free breakfast, and then walk across the pretty stree...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the Gaylord National Resort for a meeting and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff were excellent. The room was clean and quiet. There are also a lot of nice restaurants within walking distance. They also provide free shuttle service to downtown Washington, Dc. I would recommend this place. I do regret not being able to visit the family area located in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I visited the Gaylord for a work conference and stayed from Sunday-Thursday in February. It was a very enjoyable experience. I've been to many conferences and this center was not as immense and was easier to access from the hotel than many others. The conference halls in the convention were typical but it provided enough space and seemed cozier and easier to navigate. It was really nice to not have to get dressed for the weather and walk 2 miles before I even got to the conference.

The rooms were perfect for my needs although the desk chair was way too heavy to move - even back away from the desk. The bathroom was immaculate and the shower was good enough pressure.

The food was ok - not great - not really bad. I ate at the sports bar during the super bowl.I had a good burger and the service by Anita was very good despite the crowd. The breakfast and lunch buffet was blah but only $14.95 for enough food.
There were a few restaurants down the street which were ok. The Cadillac Ranch had good burgers. Can you tell I like burgers?

Transportation to DC is cumbersome but we had a shuttle as a group so it wasn't a problem.

The "Resort" title was kind of mystery to me and maybe that becomes apparent in the summer. It's not the first place I would think of as a resort but then again my conference was so interesting I really wasn't in a "Resort" mentality. It did have this fountain light show in the middle of the hotel which was nice but didn't turn off during the Super Bowl.

Their business services store - the eleventh hour- was great for me. Mannie, one of their staff, really helped me solve a problem with business cards which I greatly appreciated. He and the rest of the staff were friendly and very hard working.

The front desk was fast in check in and out and helpful. The Super Shuttle to the Gaylord was only $33 round trip to Reagan Natl Airport with a prior reservation. It takes you directly from the airport to the hotel and vice versa without 15 stops at other hotels.

I would definitely recommend the Gaylord for a conference destination.

• Stayed February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The is a very good convention hotel with excellent facilities for meetings and conferences. Rooms are spacious and tastefully done. Service is efficient. Food quality is passable. The room rates are pretty high and about 1/3 higher than the Westin that is about 100m away. The National Harbor area provides some shopping and food options within walking vicinity. This is too much a concrete elephant for me and do not provide much resort feel. I will only stay here if I attending a conference.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Being Marriott members, and now that the Gaylord is part of the Marriott chain of hotels, we decided to give it a try despite its being overpriced. We attended a sporting event at their Convention Center which started very early so we decided to sleep at the adjoining hotel. The place itself is massive yet elegant with a sweeping view of Alexandria across the Potomac River. Our bedroom, overlooking the atrium & the evening display of colorful dancing fountain, is 5-star all the way. All rooms have a balcony & is equipped with a tiny fridge, flat screen tv, marble tile bath flooring with double sink. It was clean, crisp, and comfortable. The pool & spa area looks great but we didn't use it. The staff I've encountered were utmost friendly & professional from the parking attendants to the front desk staff. Pricewise, it is very expensive! In addition, they charge a resort fee of $15.00, parking for $22.00, and an upgrade fee for wi-fi (if you choose to have it), plus the hotel/occupancy tax. There is no free breakfast here. Likewise, the restaurants by the atrium are pricey (i.e. $16.00 breakfast, $15.00 hamburgers). There is a sundry/gift & snack shop downstairs and a separate coffee/muffin and donut shop. By the way, every hotel in National Harbor charges a parking fee. It is a 15 to 20 minute hike to the self-parking lot/separate mutiple story bldg (that's from our room near the top floor). Consider that when lugging your suitcase. There is valet parking at front for approx $35. There are cheaper food places and a multitude of restaurants walking distance right outside the hotel. There is an expensive but excellent Thai restaurant 3 blocks away and also a cheap but equally good and healthy burrito place across the street, Subway is 5 blocks down, also a CVS pharmacy 2 blocks away. Overall, we enjoyed our stay/splurge here. But if this sounds too gaudy to your liking and you are looking for an alternative to staying near this area, consider saving money by staying across the bridge in Alexandria which is only less than 10 minutes away; practically next exit. There is a row of 3 to 4 star hotels that offers free breakfast & free parking along U.S. 1 (a.k.a. Richmond Highway). That way, you will also be within 15 minutes to Ronald Reagan airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is a nice hotel with lots of restaurant options within walking distance. It is a little higher than I feel it is worth but at the holidays it is beautifully decorated. We were there for the ice show and while it was very beautiful I felt it was much to small for the price paid. I would probably choose a hotel in DC if I were to head there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!