“Hotel is adequate; nice location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, National Harbor, Prince George’s County, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Christmas on the Potomac
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Pittsburgh, PA
“Hotel is adequate; nice location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel at a conference. The lobby of this hotel is absolutely beautiful. However, the service from the staff is just so so. Some were very nice and others were only somewhat helpful.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was generally good for sleeping. One exception -- I had an atrium room and unfortunately there was one night where there were little children shrieking around midnight. Fortunately, I was up working late. Speaking of which...there was a very nice workdesk and the Internet connectivity (wireless) was decent.

I liked the complimentary bottles of water, but I can see why...it was very difficult to try to buy bottles of water (or soda or other fluids) within the hotel (other than going to the restaurant). Not good when you are at a conference and had to be in the hotel for hours on end.

It did not seem that the hotel had good places (within the hotel) for breakfast. There was a small storefront where you could buy coffee, pastries, fruit salads, etc. The lines were very long and also the staff there forgot my order of coffee. (They also did that to someone in front of me as well.)

The hotel also did not have very good places for lunch or dinner. It is at first confusing to figure out how to get into National Pastime (you have to go around a corner to get in). Also, the menu is very limited, although the staff is pleasant.

In terms of in-room dining, I did not take advantage of it. However, I did not see an in-room dining menu in my room. Nor did I see an option to hang a card outside my door if I wanted breakfast. I expected more from a hotel for the price paid per night.

The bathroom was nice in that in had two sinks. However, there was a flimsy shower curtain and the water from the shower spilled on to the floor (created a small flood). That was not a happy experience.

The hotel does have a salon and spa, although I did not partake of any of the services. The prices seemed very high. There is a store - Strictly First Glass - in the hotel and it has a lot of pretty things to look at and buy.

Stepping outside of the hotel, there are always plenty of cabs and so getting transportation was easy. However, I found inconsistency in the cab fares paid. It cost me about $30 to get to Pentagon City but only $24 to get to downtown DC. The former was in the evening and the latter was mid-morning. ... Also, while I did not take it, I understand that there is a ferry that goes to Alexandria from National Harbor, MD. However, I did buy a ticket for the shuttle from downtown DC (old Post Office) back to the hotel. But, I missed the connection because I could not figure out where to board it. (That was frustrating.) Having missed the shuttle back to the hotel, I ended up taking the metro (Federal Triangle stop) to King Street. From King Street, I took a cab back to the hotel (very inexpensive).

If you wanted to explore the area outside of the hotel by walking, there is a drugstore down the street and many restaurants in the area as well as many other stores. There is also a UPS store (where I could get some things printed on bond paper, as the business office within the hotel could not do it). The area is fairly walkable.

I had to print out my boarding pass for my return flight back home. The concierge was nice enough to do that for me at no charge. (Of course, I tipped him.) But, he explained that the business office would charge for that service. I was very surprised to hear that.

All in all, this was an adequate hotel. But, I wish that the hotel room, restaurant, and experience was as nice as the initial impression I had upon viewing the opulent (and beautiful) hotel lobby. It was a somewhat disappointing experience. Had I not had to stay here for a conference, I probably would have stayed elsewhere, if I needed a hotel room in the general area. (There are several other hotels within very close walking distance of this in case you are looking for an alternative.)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is beautiful. Came here for a holiday party on the club level and decided to get a room for the night. Room was clean and beds comfortable. Used our Marriott points to pay for the room, and in the morning were asked what card we wanted $20 charged to. I asked for what? We were told it was a reort fee for "Internet, ect....". We were there to sleep and had no intention of using the Internet or any of their amenities... And what hotel charges a "Internet" fee in this age. I stayed at 4 hotels in the last 3 months and never had additional charges for internet. That should be included in the room charge! Then we go to our car, and find out you have to pay $22 for overnight parking. And there is no discount for the fact that you were a guest of the hotel. I'm not a fan of any hotel that has hidden fees or additional charges for standard services, and for such a classy looking hotel to do that was surprising.

• Stayed December 2012
Boston MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Recently stayed at the Gaylord (a Marriott property) during a recent confernece being held at the same location. The conference center is adjacent to the hotel and is quite convenient for attendees. That being said, when 5+ conferences are going on at the same time, it makes it very difficult for people to procure services in the restaurants and spa.

I liked my room. It was on the 8th floor of 17? It was clean and had updated amenities.
No mini bar for those that care about that amenity. Pillows and bed were comfortable. Bathroom was spacious. Now for my pet peeve: as others have stated, the towel etc. in the bathroom were sub par. I would expect nicer egyptian linens at a hotel of this caliber.

All staff were cordial and willing to assist with everything. Would stay here again, but would request a room overlooking the harbor or perhaps the courtyard (this might be a little loud at times).

Room Tip: stay on the harbor side or the courtyard side
Camas, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I went here for a conference and was beyond impressed - I was overwhelmed!
The decorations for Christmas were phenomenal! This place would be great for families with children at Christmas time. There's an enormous Christmas tree, a full-sized gingerbread house, and a choo-choo train that can hold children and goes around the tree. Also, there's a very nice water-with-music show (though I didn't get to see it). We used my AAA rate - a must as it's pretty pricey. I didn't like the sports bar much, but the Pienza restaurant for breakfast was fantastic!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was my second visit to this montrosity and I have to admit that it has grown on me. First of all, it is enormous and almost intimidating if your room is far from an elevator.

The bed and bedding was very nice. For me, this is the most important measure of a good hotel room. The bathroom and shower were also very nice, another important measure.

If you can get a room with an overlook of the Potomoc, go for it, because it is a lovely view. I was there during a stretch of 70 degree December days and I loved the view.

The hotel is kind of schizophrenic about whether it is a business hotel or a family hotel. It is definitely a business hotel with a big lobby that caters to kids who come along. I think that families are generally disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the river, not the parking lot.
Webster, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

So disappointed by this hotel! We LOVED the Gaylord inNashville and this doesn't even come close.

Beautiful from the outside. Themed area much much smaller than we anticipated. We visited for the Christmas activities. What a waste. Fountain show was broken. Less than half of the snow making machines worked. Everything else was very overpriced. ICE was nice but too much Shrek and too small for the cost. Parking was ridiculous at $22.

Room was clean. Pool was large and nice. Still not worth the price. Skip this place and save your money for Nashville.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Montclair, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Here less than a day and I am ready to put this hotel at the very low end of my travel experiences. First, it is in the middle of nowhere. How they call this a DC property is beyond me. This is like calling a property in Long Island a NYC property. Crazy. Then there are the other issues. Rooms are average - for the 80s. Standard fare, equivalent to a Hilton Garden Inn. Or less. Small, dark, and most overlooking an atrium where ridiculously loud music is piped in, in what appears to be some odd attempt to replica the Bellagio fountains from Vegas. I kept making the TV louder to drown out the music. Until the TV stopped working. Twice I had to have the engineers into the room. In less than 6 hours. The ATM machine I was directed to also didnt work. The coffee machine didn't work. Wireless is at one bar...and not working more often than it does work. This is a convention hotel pretending to be a Disney property without the digital infrastructure or entertainment factor of either. A

Stayed December 2012

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!