“Simply The Best Strawberry Shortcake” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 71 Restaurants in Oxon Hill
Cuisines: American
Washington, DC
“Simply The Best Strawberry Shortcake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had to check out the place where an owner of another specialty bakery orders her special occasion cakes and I discovered that Desserts by Gerard simply has the best strawberry shortcake!!! Cakes are made fresh to order, and huge single servings are available in the bakery case. The cake is moist (not shortbread) and the cream is light, and the strawberries are perfect. My co-workers also enjoyed it. The fruit tarts are also delicious and the chicken salad croissant was good too! I'll be back and highly recommend it to others.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Greenbelt, Maryland
“Not Impressed At All!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Although I've lived in the area for years, I've never had a cake from Gerard's so I wanted to see what the talk was all about. I should've gone to Costco! When I placed the order last week, I was given an order number and paid in advance. I called late last week to make changes to the writing on the cake. When the person answered the phone, I gave her all the information INCLUDING the order number. Lo and behold, she couldn't find it. She put me on hold for at least three times, but apparently never wrote the order number down. On one occasion when I was on hold, the person who took the order picked up, and I gave her the order number. The first person came back to the line AGAIN, and asked for the order number AGAIN. When put on hold AGAIN, a different person picked up the phone. By now, I just wanted a refund, and when I said this, I was put on hold again, but this time when she came back, my order was miraculously found - I guess they didn't want to lose a sale. I changed the writing on the cake to something very simple. On Saturday, when I got the call reminding me of the pick up time and the order number, the guy confirmed what was to be written on the cake. On Christmas Eve, when the cake was picked up, the friend picking it up for me had to wait 30 minutes. If they are going to ask what time I wanted the cake, why wasn't the cake ready??? When I got the cake, imagine how angry I was when I saw that the original message was on the cake WITH THE NAME MISSPELLED!!! The customer service was awful and the cake, while it was pretty, it tasted sub-par. There wasn't anything special about the cake, and in addition, there was some kind of liquid in the cake portion. It seemed like it was frozen and the liquid was a result of it thawing. The next time I want a vanilla/caramel cake, I'll make it myself!

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Gone way down hill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Gerard's used to be the place to go for anything for dessert. Their cakes are still good, but waaaay overpriced, as are all their bake goods.

I have not seen the original pastry chefs/owners in the shop in a long time, and perhaps they are relying on their help to provide the same quality they have done. If so, it's not working.

Maybe their catering business will sustain them, but the locals are beginning to abandon the place, which leaves a large hole in the community.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Big Disappointment!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Went for lunch and had a croissant sandwich. The croissant was very good, but there was very little meat and it didn't even go to the edges of the sandwich. Had slice of carrot cake - frosting good, cake flavorless. Friend had chicken sandwich with dark meat and gristle. She was overcharged for extra dressing. I have had their mousse cup and it was good. But, not worth the price or trip for one good item.

Located in an ugly, run-down strip mall.

• Visited October 2012