“Rough Start” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Long Island, NY
“Rough Start”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at this resort. I must say all in all it is a very lovely resort as many Wyndhams are BUT we were VERY disappointed in the service we received. We arrived hours before 4PM check in and were told by the front desk staff that they would have our suite ready for us early. we took this time to explore National Harbor and grab a bite to eat. We returned to the resort at 3 PM, our room was still not ready. At 4 we returned to the desk our room was still not ready. We were told that maintenance was fixing an electrical issue. FINALLY at 4:45 our room was ready. ( side note: the ladies at the front desk could be a bit more friendly and helpful especially since they are the first people guests see as they enter the resort)

Our family has a habit of checking the beds as soon as we arrive. We were so displeased to find DIRTY STAINED sheets beneath the comforter of one of the beds. Disgusting! We called housekeeping unsuccessfully as they are not available after 4 pm?!?! So we called the front desk and the front desk manager came to check the bed before sending someone up to change the sheets. The front desk manager consoled us with a bottle of wine and a late check out time.

Fast forward to checking out we were harassed by the front desk and housekeeping to leave the room!!

I think Wyndham National Harbor could use work in the staffing department (front desk and housekeeping) They are clearly understaffed. The only nice and helpful people were the bell hops and activities crew.

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at Wyndam Resort at National Harbor in Oxen Hill, MD. It was awesome. We stayed in a 2 bedroom Presidential Suite...we had our washer and dryer, two bedrooms, two full baths...there were 5 of us, and this unit did not have a pull out bed, which I was a little concerned about...but the couch is close to the size of a twin bed...and extra wide. So, it was definitely feasible for one of the kids to sleep on the couch. Not a problem at all!! Rooms were clean and getting extra towels was not an issue at all. No housekeeping, but we were fine with that. The hotel itself is very family friendly...movie theater, dvd rentals, ping pong, pool table, indoor and outdoor pool, Wii room, arcade...there are two BIG grills that you can reserve throughout the day. Reserving them is NOT a problem...you get an hour to complete your grilling. They had an hour salsa and belly dancing class that you could join if you wanted...there were crafts for the kids to do during the day. We worked w/ the concierge and booked a NIGHT tour of the monuments/memorial, did a 48 hour pass on the Big B bus company...kids thought it was cool that we could sit on the top of the bus and that it was all open. Bus picked us up at the hotel at 9 and we had to be at Union Station by 5 to get home. The concierge had tickets to the Holocaust exhibit, which was awesome. We didn't have to get one of their tickets and come back at a specified time...we just got there and went through the exhibit. There were awesome fireworks by the Gaylord Conservation Center...and on Sundays they have movies down by the harbor. We didn't get a chance to go to the movies, but apparently they have a popcorn truck that comes...it sounded like a lot of fun. The downtown is really awesome. Lots of specialty shops, a great frozen yogurt store. We would stay at this location again in a heartbeat. It was 15 min. from DC.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had a 2 bedroom and the resort was fantastic! the units were very clean and well equipped. The amenities were great! the indoor pool was awesome and the game rooms were fantastic. The grounds are very well maintained and D.C is only 15 minutes away. Great location as it is close to many other attractions. The only one thing that was left to be desired is the staff. Usually Wyndham's staff is extremely friendly but not this time around.The front desk agent was not as warm and welcoming at the time of check in and the activity person seemed to be bothered at times. Other than that the stay was fantastic! I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family!

Room Tip: 508 overlooks the roof top
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We really enjoyed staying here. We were guests of owners-- my father had a one bedroom and my family (w/two little boys) had a two bedroom. Our suite was very spacious and very clean. They did schedule us for a sales pitch on check in, but they didn't want just my husband there, so they asked him to leave. My dad was there for two hours, and I don't think my boys would have made it through that!

We drove into DC several times, and we did take the metro once - for 5 of us, it was cheaper to drive in and park at a garage. We mostly visited the Mall and monuments, and we did go to the zoo as well.

The Children's museum was amusing for an afternoon. I probably wouldn't go back, but it isn't a huge place, so my boys did everything there was to do.

We ate at many of the National Harbor restaurants and, if you have any somewhat picky eaters with you, that may be a challenge. My younger son didn't fare too well. :) It is all very close and is easy walking. We also brought breakfast and lunch items with us, which was great! We drove to Target in Alexandria to get supplies.

They have a little room with a few toys for small kids, and my boys loved it in there. We visited the pool once and enjoyed it, but it was pretty crowded subsequent days.

I would stay there again! It was nice to have such a large room compared to a regular hotel room. I really appreciated reading all of the previous reviews so I would know what to expect.

Room Tip: Be careful of the rooms near 316 - they are right above the movie viewing room and can be a bit loud...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My mil is an owner and we stayed there with her. We had a 2 bedroom which was nice. The staff is very helpful/friendly. The location is great with wonderful restaurants within walking distance. 1 complaint I have is with the cleanliness. 1 of our folded towels had BROWN stuff all over it. Not what you want to see when they are white. We also had some mold in the shower. I think if they took care of these minor things it would have been amazing. I would stay here again though. I do want to warn people about ordering food! We tried it twice and had nothing but problems. The second time was horrible! I fought with the company for 2 1/2 hours trying to get our food! The restaurants are amazing so take the time to go to them DON'T ORDER IN! I know this has nothing to do with the resort but I wanted to let everyone know.

• Stayed August 2013
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Normally every Wyndham Resort that I have stayed at has been a five star experience. I cannot say that about this Wyndham at National Harbor. My family stayed here for five nights in late August. To begin with, when we checked in we found empty beer cans on the floor in the bedroom along with a used band-aid on the floor. The carpet looked as if it had not been vacuumed this week. We called guest services and cleaning was dispatched and that problem was solved. Then we found that the telephone in the main room was not working. After two calls over two days, it was finally replaced with another one that did not work either. The wireless Internet turned out to be a real joke. When it worked, and that was about sixty per cent of the time, it was about as fast as dial-up service. You could overlook this if it were a budget hotel but at an upscale resort it is totally unacceptable.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Vacation Resorts At National Harbor, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you had issues regarding the unit cleanliness and Wi-Fi access during your stay. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home during their stay. We are glad housekeeping was able to address and resolve the cleanliness issues you encountered. As you know, we have many units to house a large number of guests and their wireless devices. We are working to better the wireless connection at our resorts but this process will take some time. As always, we appreciate your feedback.
Far Rockaway, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Wyndham Vacation Resorts was perfect for our family of 5. We didn't have a river view because we didn't ask for one at booking, or so we were told at check-in. The property is conveniently located (attached to Children's Museum) in the midst of National Harbor. The 2-bedroom suite was beautiful and clean. The fully-equipped kitchen was really fully-equipped! The pool is small, but perfect for our toddlers.

Definitely staying here again whether it be for a getaway or business trip to DC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts At National Harbor? Share your experiences!