“Nice Resort” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hamilton, Canada
“Nice Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My family and I visited in July 2011 for 6 days and the resort is clean and very comfortable. The pool closed 1-2 hours early everyday without any reason or notice. (not sure if the life guard was just too tired from sitting all day and constantly telling people that there is no jumping). The only downside to this resort is the time share staff. They will follow you into the elevator to "hound" you to attend their "45 min. 10 question survey". We declined this right from the beginning, however, they called us every morning of our trip to ask us when we would like to book our time with them. By the 4th day, I was quite disturbed by the calls, so I was very blunt with them and told them their 75 dollar offer to waste my vacation time wasn't worth it. However, on the 5th day, once again I rec'd another phone call and just hung up on them.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
torrance
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We had wanted to stay at the new Wyndham National Harbor having been at the one in Arlington 5 years ago. The resort while it dosn't have much in the way of views although units have balcony's and is very new with wonder condo style 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units with kitchen. It is a short walk to the pier area and the many area resturants and amuesments. A car is uselful, although a Capital on and off buss is available making it easy to get to the museums and other sites. It is a short drive to the train station if you use that to get into Washington and a visit to Arlington or other areas requires a car.

A good bet is the many diner tours on the Patomic at night with sunset over D.C. and the monuments. We also did the Ford theather venue for the first time which had a wonderful production and museum. Also the other first where the Post Office Museum, the African Art and others in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
PHILLY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

It was actually a girl’s getaway weekend. We stayed at the Wyndham Vacation Resort in a one- bedroom suite with a balcony. The staff was absolutely beyond friendly. We received a call from Guest Relations mid-morning after our first night asking, "How was our first night at the Wyndham?" They were also knowledgeable and extremely nice when asked about their services.
The Wyndham Vacation Resort...NICE!!!! The rooms are clean and well appointed. Check-in/out was easy. One draw back was guest relations SECOND check-in trying to up sale hotel amenities.... Major turn off.
If you have kids, this is a kid-friendly resort. They have a arcade, wii game room, in-door and outdoor pools, internet room and a special in-house movie night for the kids with pop-corn.
National Harbor is near a airport and the Wyndham must have sound proof the rooms because we did not hear ONE plane! The bed was comfortable and my cousin that slept on the pull-out couch said it was comfortable too. The suite was well stocked with everyday kitchen necessities should you want to cook a meal. We opted to cook walk a block to the local market and picked up breakfast items because eating out could prove to be expensive. There is also a CVS right outside the hotel for snacks.
The Gym and indoor pool is tiny however if you go to the Gym early (7ish) you may have the place to yourself. The Gym equipment is up to date, much what you would find at your local gyms but on a much smaller scale.
There was a complimentary washer and dryer on every floor...super nice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are wonderful. The staff is helpful and friendly but....
The reservation process is horrendous! I first reserved this hotel via the Wyndham website in January for July; being the paranoid person I am, I kept checking my credit card for the charges. After not seeing the charges going through my account after a few weeks after checking my card often; I decided to call the property who were unable to tell me anything about the reservation as they have nothing to do with that process. After weeks of following up and many phone calls (from Jamaica to the property) I was finally told that the reservations were actually handled by Extra Holidays by Wyndham. I was finally able to make the reservation at a much higher price than I had originally booked the room online.

Upon reaching the property my reservation could not be found because my name was spelled incorrectly and then I was not assigned a single room but was expected to check in and out of rooms. I must thank Salma at the front desk, who was able to restructure the booking to allow for just one check out for my 8 nights stay, instead of the multiple checkouts that was originally in the system.

Even with all that drama, the stay at the Wyndham was wonderful, the rooms are fully equipped with a full kitchen which allows for cooking which can save you a bit of money, if you are so inclined. The beds are comfortable and lovely to sleep in and the hotel is located conveniently, with a CVS at the corner and the bus stop close by. The National Harbor area is beautiful and there is lots to see and do; there is easy access to the Metro and the shopping malls, which are the best way to travel to save on parking charges.

It will be worth your while staying at the Wyndham, but I suggest that you monitor the reservation process carefully and ensure that your booking is for a single room throughout your stay.

I suggest that you do the DC It All! Tour, if this is your first time in DC to get a proper feel for the area, so you can plan your sightseeing better.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Apple Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed in a two bedroom presidential unit (10th floor) for 5 nights starting June 19, 2011. Room was absolutely OUTSTANDING! Absolutely gorgeous in every way, great kitchen and appliances, beautiful flooring, spacious rooms, full laundry room (presidential units only, standard rooms have access to shared laundry on each floor), beautiful and spacious bathrooms and a huge hot tub in master. The only down-sides to the room - both bathrooms had a fan that ran non-stop with no on/off capability, slightly annoying, and we had a small issue with some spiders on master bedroom ceiling and out on the rooms patio area.

Like many of the other reviews - the pool was a bit of a disappointment being too small for the size of resort. Too bad they didn't do a green roof-top and pool as the views and space available would be absolutely incredible! The hot tub in the pool area was nice though and there was an outdoor grilling/kitchen area by the pool which was very nice! Kids enjoyed the Wii room and did a couple of the kids activities.

DC Access - we used the bus and metro extensively for the three days that we travelled down to DC. Bus picks up just around the corner from the resort every 30 minutes and is $1.70/person/trip, bus takes you to the Metro Rail Branch Avenue station which is part of the start/end of the Green Line for the Metro Rail system. Metro Rail pricing is a confusion and different story of its own, but in short we chose the simple route since were using the rail multiple times to get around and bought the full day passes which are $9/person/day. Round trip to DC adds up quickly this way at $12.40/person/day but definitely beats driving down there and dealing with parking hassles which we had attempted once (and never again - yikes!) - plan about an hour for public transportation travel to get to/from DC each way. After a day of hopping the bus and rail, we felt pretty comfortable hopping the Metro Rail and transferring trains, but in retrospect and reading some of the other reviews, probably would have been better off taking one of the tour bus options picking up from the resort and getting around that way. If you are travelling to National Harbor and planning to stay within the NH or travel to Alexandria or DC area, do yourself a favor and skip the car and use the public transportation options. SuperShuttle services will get you to/from the resort and the airport fairly conveniently too. Parking (if you choose to use a car) - is $10/day in an in/out ramp about 2 blocks from the resort, $20/day for valet parking (in/out), or $11/day max (no in/out use, must pay each time) just across the street from the resort entrance)

The National Harbor area is outright beautiful! Well maintained, well designed and laid out, with nice restaurants and stores all around. There is a beautiful Potomac River walk that is a bit over a mile in total length (end to end/2 mile round trip) just 2 blocks out from the resort and makes for a beautiful sunset walk! There isn't currently any full grocery store in walking distance of NH, but between the CVS below the Wyndham and a Market store across the street, there's adequate food selection to stock the units' full kitchen. We ate at the Cadillac Ranch and Pot Belly restaurants a couple times, both good options with reasonable prices, Cadillac Ranch gives a 20% food discount to people staying at the Wyndham.

Overall, a great resort and great stay, but if you are planning on going to DC a lot may try another resort. Wyndham National Harbor would be an absolutely phenomenal option for a couples stay if you are planning to do some relaxing and just a little DC time though. Good option for families too, but plan ahead on the DC transportation.

Room Tip: For best views get a presidential unit. All decent
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed here with my family for a family reunion from June 11-18. We had a great time. All of the staff I encountered were very friendly with the exception of the sales staff who basically yell at people on their way to the elevator. I had to shut one of them down very briskly and went on to the elevator. My dad got into a confrontation with one of them because he would not leave my dad alone. It was pretty ridiculous. The condo was extremely clean and comfortable, even the pull out sofa, which I had to sleep on.

The National Harbor area is very beautiful and accommodating. Many of the surrounding restaurants offer discounts to Wyndham guests, so make sure you ask your server before paying. The one restaurant I do not recommend is Ketchup. The ambiance was horrible and the table next to us stayed dirty the whole time we were there although numerous employees consistently passed it. I highly recommend Harringtons for the great food and drinks and service.

Transportation is a bit confusing at first, but once you know the bus schedule, it is very easy. We did not have a car, so public transportation was the only option for us. We mainly used the bus and metro, but also utilized taxi service. The metro is efficient and cheaper than taxis all the time, though. If you have a smartphone, I recommend getting the app DC Rider. It provides the metro map, schedule, locations, and is very useful and its free!

Overall, we had a great experience at Wyndham National Harbor!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stayed with a party of 8 in late May - early June. Our room was a condo that we rented from someone with a time share at this Wyndham. 2 bed 2 bath with a full kitchen and fold out couch. The master suite was amazing! Whirlpool tub, shower and wonderful bed. Kitchen had all the amenities of home. Since we rented through the time share owner I can't give an accurate price (ours was what one would pay for a regular hotel room).

The area of National Harbor was really nice and clean. There are plenty of restaurants and a verity of shopping. Most of the food in there was high compared to off site prices. We took advantage of the water taxi to Old Alexandria, $8 one way adult fare, the views are great on the ride, although it took 30min one way. Transpiration was our biggest problem getting back and forth to the National Mall. There is a bus stop on site that will take you to the Branch Ave. stop on the Green Line Metro. But it is a least an hour trip on the bus/metro into town. If you are going to Alexandria and don't want to ride the water taxi, the just grab a cab. I did this solo three times and it’s about $12 one way, but only 10min or less to the waterfront in Old Alexandria.
The long short of the transportation is, you are better off with a rental car. Even if you ride the Metro once you get into DC.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts At National Harbor? Share your experiences!