“Not what it used to be.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC to your Saves list
Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   192 Waterfront St., National Harbor, Oxon Hill, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in Oxon Hill
“Not what it used to be.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This used to be a nice hotel, but it is unlike other Residence Inns that we have stayed at. The first impression was not at all great because we arrived at night and were created by at least a dozen police cars that were patrolling the area (especially where the Residence Inn is located) which should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The area was crawling with people just hanging out for no apparent reason. With the hotel being located in National Harbor one would expect an area that felt safe, but this was not the case with such a heavy police presence. Upon arrival to our room the door was dirty, the bathroom door was dirty, and every light fixture was grimmy. Getting to the room is a bit of an inconvenience and concerning because you have to swipe your room key in the elevator and press your floor number to have the elevator to move to your particular floor. Also, the breakfast the next morning was extremely limited as only potatoes and eggs were the only hot items available at 6 in the morning shortly after it opened. After enjoying a day in the area we arrived back to our room to find that it was unserviced, which made me very unhappy. The overall stay was okay, but the hotel and the area have definitely changed for the worse.

• Stayed July 2013
OperationsTeam, Manager at Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to our hotel. The purpose of our response is to convey to you our most sincere apology for any inconvenience you and your family experienced.

Today, we spoke with our Engineering, Housekeeping and Food & Beverage teams to gain a better understanding of your concerns and to ensure action steps are taken to prevent further inconveniences. We take pride in ensuring our guests feel safe and secure throughout their stay which is why we have secure elevators, in addition to security officers on duty on weekends.

We greatly appreciate the information you provided and for allowing us the opportunity to improve your next visit.

Warm regards,

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Southern Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Book through Priceline often! Great staff!! Great Location! Clean rooms. Parking is $13/night......but we'll worth it. Full daily breakfast...including waffles and pancakes. The area Can be a little rowdy on Saturdays with local activities, but usually quiets down by 9/10pm...after fireworks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
OperationsTeam, Manager at Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for the review of our hotel! We are pleased that you were able to enjoy all the great amenities of our location. I am so happy that our staff was able to provide you with such a memorable experience and we will certainly share your kind words with them. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope you will join us again soon!

Regards,

gulf coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Hotel is very nice and extremely comfortable. Nice alternative to the pricey Gaylord. Breakfast was ok, could have been better but the staff was extremely polite and helpful.
Be aware of the extra charges. Extra for parking, 3 different charges for taxes. Something even about a special tax. 249.00 a day room was 300.00

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great if you can get one!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review of our hotel! We are pleased that you were able to enjoy all the great amenities of our location. Yes, for the hotels in the harbor area there are three taxes: Maryland State tax, Prince George’s County tax, and National Harbor tax. I am so happy that our staff was able to provide you with such a memorable experience and we will certainly share your kind words with them.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope you will join us again soon!

Warm Regards,

Goffstown, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were attending a event at the Gaylord, but read mixed reviews. We were very happy with the Residence Inn and it is steps from the Gaylord's event area. Service, food, and room were all great. Nothing bad to report... and I would not hesitate if there was!

Room Tip: The King studio suite was comfortable for a family of 3. Our room did not face the water, but I don...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Royal Oak, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was my first time in National Harbor (and sadly, it was work-related), and this is one of several hotels in the area. Overall, it's quite nice, only charges $13/day for parking, and the staff is great. The pool was closed for maintenance during my entire week's stay, but the manager sent me an email before I even arrived to inform and apologize for the inconvenience, which I actually thought was quite professional.

The only real downside is that the Gaylord was right across the street, and looks AMAZING. If I ever come back on my own dime, I'll probably have to check it out.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a view of the Potomac. I definitely missed out (I got to see the parking struct...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn at National Harbor for the MUSE Conference. As a late attendee, I was unable to get a room at The Gaylord Resort. Initially, I was a bit saddened at not securing a room; however, I was not disappointed by my second choice.

First, the Residence Inn is directly across the street from The Gaylord, which facilitated the attendance at the conference. While it may not have the grandeur of The Gaylord, the Residence Inn is not exactly second rate.

The staff is friendly and attentive. The check-in process was quick and efficient. I was in my room within a few minutes of my arrival.

My room was just a few steps from the elevator, and if any of you have read my previous reviews, you know I like to request rooms far from elevators. However, in this case, the elevator was so quiet, I didn't mind it at all. Additionally, the elevator is secure. It requires a room key to operate, which adds to the safety of the facility (not that the area is unsafe, but it adds to one's piece of mind).

My room was a studio, but it felt more like a one-bedroom. It was spacious, inviting, and extremely well-kept. The kitchen area included granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. The TV was a high-definition flat-screen with premium channels and could be viewed from either the couch or bed. There was a small sofa and chair and both were comfortable. The work area was sufficient with a good-sized desk. The free Wi-Fi had a strong signal, and I did not experience any drops with my Internet service.

Speaking of the bed, it was beyond comfortable. I felt like I was sleeping on clouds! I need to discover Marriott's bedding secrets, so I can duplicate it at home! I'm always pleased by their beds, pillows (and there are a lot of pillows!), and sheets. I always feel like I'm at someone's home rather than a hotel. Keep up the good work there!

The closet space was adequate, and it housed a standard-sized ironing board and iron. There was sufficient space for hanging clothes as well as shelving for other items.

Although there was only one sink, the vanity was long enough to accommodate two sinks and still have enough counter space. The shower was clean, and the tile work expertly done. The toiletries were top-notch. I also had plenty of towels at my disposal. And, yes, I do hang them and reuse, so I am water conscious.

The free breakfast had a variety of hot entrees, cereals, yogurts, and fresh fruits. The Belgian waffle maker was the biggest hits for both adults and children. The dining area was inviting, comfortable, and naturally lit thanks to its large windows. The outdoor patio was also accessible and provided an alternative dining experience.

There was also a free happy hour in the afternoon; however, I did not participate, thus I cannot provide a proper review. However, if I had to guess on its quality based upon my positive experiences, I would venture to say it is worth the stop.

The Residence Inn is just around the corner from great restaurants/pubs. I recommend the Cadillac Ranch's steak salad as well as their flatbread pizzas. I also recommend Harrington's Pub. Great bar food and burgers. And I highly recommend the Irish Car Bomb (Guinness beer with Jamison Whiskey, and Bailey's Irish Cream chasers) for dessert! Probably less calories than a standard dessert, and it comes it a liquid form, thus it's easier to finish!

If you're looking to stay in Washington DC for business, I wouldn't recommend this or any other hotel in the National Harbor area as it is a bit of a drive to DC. However, for vacationing/visiting purposes, there are tours available at reasonable prices from the hotel.

This said, I would rather stay in the Harbor area than in DC--one needs to relax after a full day of visiting the Mall!

One con of the area, not the hotel: the area has heavy air flight activity, especially during the early morning rush. So, if you're a light sleeper, this might be an issue if you choose The Residence Inn. If sleep is a major concern, I would recommend The Gaylord as the rooms are a bit more isolated against outside noise. Just remember, your sleep will come at a premium price as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the back of the hotel. This may help reduce some of the air traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Norman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed at Residence Inn National Harbor during a convention. Convention was at the Gaylord which is directly across the street. Residence Inn was much less expensive. Don't really need a car, unless you want one. The National Harbor area has several restaurants, a CVS grocery and you can take the water taxi to Alexandria to catch the Metro or go to Mount Vernon or Georgetown. Residence Inn suite was clean, had kitchen with full size refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and two burner cooktop. Includes dishes, flatware, pans, etc. Housekeeping is available daily, if you want it. Would definitely stay there again! Note......the frozen French bread pizza needs to be cooked in a toaster/conventional oven which is NOT available here!

Room Tip: corner rooms are largest, rooms facing the Gaylord also have water views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC? Share your experiences!