“What a Nice Weekend !!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Gwynn Oak, Maryland
“What a Nice Weekend !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My mother and I decided to take the grandson ( her great-grandson) for a weekend away but we wanted to be in driving distance. We decided he would love the Smithsonian since he is dinosaur crazy and she booked us into the Westin. This is a beautiful property with river views that are breathtaking at night !! You can par k your car and never move it again untilits time to go home ...everything is within a walk or a water taxi ride away !
The real stars of this property are the employees. I dont know how they found soooo many genuinely nice people for one property but they did. Everyone we encountered from the bellman to the desk agents to the engineer who brought us a fridge to the housekeeper who listened so patiently to the litlle boys rather long story about his "build a bear" experience to the morning hostess in the restaraunt...each was a genuine joy ...I've worked in the hospitality industry for 10 years...this is the exception to the rule. Add to that gorgeous rooms and gooood food and really nice guest amenities in the rooms and it all adds up to you getting a bang for your buck !!
I will be recommending thie Westin to my friends and family and to any strangers who will lend me their ear :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This location is very Scenic, right on the Potomac River Harbor. Beautiful day and night, very convenient to all amenities and surrounding attractions. The front dest and valet service was superb!! However, the hotel restaurant did not have very good service, our breakfast was served cold and it was very difficult to get our coffee refilled (the hostess did give us a 20% discount when we expressed our displeasure to her). Our room was clean upon our arrival, but it was not cleaned during our stay, housekeeping arrived about 4:00pm to ask if she could clean and at that time we had already tracked down another housekeeper to request fresh towels as we needed to get ready for a wedding at 6:00pm. Very nice hotel in a beautiful location, they need to improve the restaurant and housekeeping services.

Room Tip: We had a large corner room on the top floor, very quiet and amazing views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
pittsburgh, pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

called to make a reservation and after spending about 15 min on phone, providing all information even down to the credit card number, the gentlemen then told me that there were no rooms available. I asked him how it was possible if he had the room for me that now he did not and asked to speak to manager who may be able to find a room [very common that there are still rooms available but only accessible by sales or mgmt]. Ended up with a manager named Joseph who could not have possibly been less helpful and more rude. He told me that he was the "ranking executive committee member" at the hotel and was truly just awful. With so many hotel options in the area, why choose a hotel where the staff lacks professionalism. I booked something else a block away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

a lovely hotel overlooking harbor. in room wireless, a charge, refrigerator is keyed, 2nd bottle of water $4
this site is 5 yrs old filled with marina, beautiful waterfront, shops and restaurants. you would think a big city hotel such as this would provide inroom wireless etc.
for the price of $190 I expect more

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

One of the benefits of spending way too much time on the road and having status with several hotel chains is the ability to spend an occasional weekend with the wife someplace nice with some perks. A few weeks ago we spent one such weekend at the Westin at National Harbor when we took in a touring Cirque de Soleil show in the area.

This was our second visit to this particular Westin. I learned from my first visit that to get an upgrade for Starwood Platinum status, you had to ask. I also remembered that there is a very small reception desk, usually with just one or to folks manning it, so I was prepared for a bit of a wait in line before checkin.

After the wait. the very friendly agent acknowledged my platinum status, and then said I would be in a "deluxe room." I asked why not a suite, since the spg.com site said I was upgraded to a "junior suite." He assured me there were no suites, and I suggested he check again. He went in the back, and about 10 minutes later came out and started typing. Five minutes after that, he said I could have the suite. Lesson one, always ask.

Second lesson was about parking. The hotel has no parking lot, and valet parking is $30. There is a large community parking garage about a block away where it costs $11 for overnight parking. Worth a very short walk.

The hotel itself is fine. Modern looking, usual Westin decor and scent. The suite was a large living room and a connected bedroom. The best feature at any Westin is the bed- still my standard for best sleeping surface in any hotel. On the other hand, my wife decided the room felt "corporate," by which she meant ok, but sterile. The furniture was pretty scuffed up, and it felt a bit tired. There was no tub, only a shower. Water pressure was good, and plenty of hot water.

We did not eat at the hotel restaurant this time, but last time breakfast was good, though expensive- maybe $20 for a typical omelet platter. There are better choices down the street for half the price, but the decor and service was nice.

Aside from the bed, perhaps the best part is the location and view- on the river, with nice views of the water, and convenient for a stoll along the river.

At the right price, we would return. We used an AAA rate which was good, and we heard people at the front desk asking about rooms for the night being quoted twice as much, so be sure to look for the discounts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed in this hotel during the Abby Road on the River event Labor Day Weekend 2012. The front desk person was fast and courteous. Our room was a fifth floor King Room. The room was clean but generally unremarkable with standard decor. The room view was the street in front of the hotel. Considering the price I would have expected a river view. Hallway carpeting between elevator and room showed signs of wear with a section of carpet missing. It was OK, but it did not meet my expectations of a Westin Hotel. I opted to park at the public parking lot ½ block away for 11.00 overnight. Next time I’ll try the host hotel or the hotel across the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here to celebrate a birthday (went to dinner and to see Cirque du Soleil and stayed over on a Saturday night). Decor is nice, front desk staff seemingly competent but the restaurant manager was extremely rude and charmless. On Sunday morning we went down at 11:00 to eat and was "lectured" that the restaurant was closed (remember this a Sunday morning) and wouldn't reopen until 11:30 and that somehow this was our fault. Setting aside that I have never stayed in a major hotel where the restaurant wasn't continuously open from morning until the evening (particularly on a Sunday), the attitude of the manager was patently unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Washington National Harbor? Share your experiences!