“No joke -- there are haunted rooms in the Chateau” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oregon Caves Lodge

You added Oregon Caves Lodge to your Saves list
Oregon Caves Lodge
20000 Caves Highway, Oregon Caves National Monument, Cave Junction, OR 97523   |
Kerby, Oregon
“No joke -- there are haunted rooms in the Chateau”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

The Chateau itself is an interesting place with an interesting history. But there are rooms upstairs, and one in particular, that is haunted. I have stayed at the Chateau twice. Once, in one of the rooms on the lower floor and once in one of the upstairs rooms, the one adjacent to the 'haunted' room. And I will tell you, I am happy to have been next door and not IN the haunted room. To know that you are on the top floor of a building, yet to hear the tread of human footsteps pacing *above* your head and the crying of what sounds like a child outside of your window. VERY strange. I am wondering if the person who wrote the 'one star' review may have booked into the haunted room. Blood on a towel and a slimy bathtub? Most bizarre!

I have rated the Chateau as Neutral, because the rooms really are spendy for what you get. If you are looking for a nice and affordable place to stay on Caves Highway, try COUNTRY HILLS RESORT. There are private cabins, motel rooms and a campground with RV spaces and camp sites, food is served in Summer, there is an ice-cream parlor and the folks that run the place are truly nice. It's about twelve miles to the Caves, but that is not a big deal. Rates are very reasonable at CHR and there is a big, beautiful creek running through the back of the property and easy hiking trails. I lived at CHR in a cabin for nine months while building was being done on my property in Kerby and recommend the place highly. The food is 'down home', not fancy, but it's tasty and Don & Judy will make sure you don't go hungry!

I will also add that food at the Caves Chateau *was* exquisite, world-class, in 2003, but the quality took a nosedive in 2004. The meal prices haven't changed -- you'll still be paying for what *should* be an extraordinary meal, but what you will get is sub-par. But hey, if you are into hauntings and want to experience something genuinely spooky, ask to be put in the haunted room (or next door...you'll get some of the overflow vibes, which were strange enough for me!).

• Stayed September 2004

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

We went to the Oregon Caves and stayed at the Lodge also known as the Chateau. It was awful!!! We went there wanting to celebrate our anniversary. When we went to check in the lodge itself was beautiful. Then we saw our room. It was a musty paper thin walled shack like setting. There was no electricity in the rooms, the whole place ran on the temp. that the lodge it self pumped into the rooms. The ceiling was covered in pipes that went from one room to the next. So NO PRIVACY!!! If the person next to you flushed the tiolet you smelt it! So we were very dissapointed. We were trying to make the best of it so we went for a hike. Dinner is only served at a certain time, if your not there at that time you miss dinner. No exceptions. So we made it back from our hike in time to take a bath to freashen up for dinner. I noticed the bath was slimy when I got in I tried to ignore the stuff floating in the water I just figured it was cleaning stuff. Well, when I got out I reached for a towel I started to towel off and my husband yelled at me to stop toweling off, on the other side of my towel was fresh blood!!! Apparently our room was not thoruoghly cleaned. I went down stairs to complain and the manager said "What do you want me to do about it?" I was horrified!!!! I started crying, I threatened to call the health dept. They called the head maid and she had us get a full refund plus a free tour of the caves the next day. We left the lodge and went to a cozy B&B called the Kerbyville inn. That place was great. As for the caves themselves, they are great just DONT stay at the lodge!!

• Stayed September 2000
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2003

The cave was worthwhile seeing, the leader informative, the chalet very interesting (if we could have stayed there it would have been a good combination). We stayed at The Junction Inn (in Cave Junction) and would recommend it also - they have a small pool for children. As for food, the chalet restaurant only serves breakfast to those staying at the chalet but do serve both lunch and dinner to all visitors desiring it.

Been to Oregon Caves Lodge? Share your experiences!