“Beautifully updated” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
U.S.
“Beautifully updated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The room was recently updated. It is modern and sleek. The bed was the most comfortable I have slept on, the sheets to die for. The room looked and smelled clean and fresh. The breakfast buffet was delicious with fresh local cheese and plenty of choices to choose from. The setting in the foothills was a an added bonus. Gorgeous!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Lacey, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Only two reasons this didn't get a full five-stars from me. There is no complimentary in-room WiFi and no complimentary breakfast of any kind. Other than that, it is an outstanding hotel choice.

As another reviewer said, if you don't need to stay in downtown SLC proper then consider the University Park Marriott. The staff was above-and-beyond friendly and helpful. Even just passing them in the halls, they would ask if my stay was enjoyable and if there was anything I needed. Always smiling, always cheerful. I appreciate that very much in a hotel.

The facility itself was well-maintained and the stunning lobby even has a Chihuly glass sculpture hanging in it. There's a restaurant that also provides room service, a beautiful and spacious bar area and a Starbucks right in the hotel.

I can't blame the hotel for Utah's tight liquor laws or other food and beverage oddities (like not being able to order just a beer unless you ordered some kind of food item with it). If this hotel were anywhere else, they'd get bonus points from me on those things as well. As it stands, the food and drinks were pricey, but you'd expect as much from a hotel of this level. The quality of the food was very good.

The rooms were outstanding. Small but not confining, with every amenity you'd expect. When I needed a microwave, they had a small one sent up to my room. Outstanding customer service. The beds were firm and felt new, the sheets and comforters were clean and refreshing, the furniture was relaxing and the views were outstanding. We saw a buck grazing outside on the lawn the first morning after we arrived.

Finally, their shuttle can take you to downtown or to the nearby Trax station where you can find cheap and reliable transportation just about anywhere in SLC.

This is an outstanding hotel that I would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

If you just passing through Salt Lake City and don't have a reason to be right downtown, this is the place to stay. It is situated in the Research Park area of the University of Utah, on the hill east of town. The location is extremely quiet. The hotel has been recently renovated and is clean and odor free. The bathrooms are spotless with a walk in tiled shower. The beds have pillowtop mattresses, WI-Fi (not free) and refrigerators. Unfortunately, our room did not have a safe in the room. There is a fitness center, a business center, a fitness room, and an indoor pool and jacuzzi. The staff is very helpful. Parking is free. Best of all, our 1 King Bed room was $93 for a senior rate on a Friday night. If you have time in the morning, the spectacular Natural History Museum of Utah is just up the hill from the hotel and is wonderful for children of all ages.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have been staying and reviewing many hotels in Salt Lake for the past couple of months, and must say that this is my number one overall choice.
I scored a stay here for a great deal off of travelocity. I was a little apprehensive because its not in downtown Salt Lake, but closer to the University.

The minute I stepped into the fully modern facility I was greeted with many smiles and hello's from staff. As I headed up to my room on the elevator I was asked where I was from and how I was doing by a staff member. I felt important but didn't look it with my shorts and backwards ball cap.
As I made it to the room, I struggled to with the key. A staff member happened to see me struggle and offered his assistance.

Once I made it into my room I found a very modern, updated room, and talk about immaculate. I generally find something wrong with a room, random hair, dirt, holes or dirty sheets.....but there was nothing I could spot at this time.

I made it to the bed and fell in love. This had to be the most comfortable bed I have found in all of Salt Lake. I tried to come up with every excuse to stay in this bed and not go to work...but I finally ended up going to work.

Room service was exceptional. They even called to make sure everything was alright and if I was enjoying my stay.

95% of the staff I encountered on this stay spoke with me, helped me, or just acknowledged me.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE????????

I only have two minor complaints... one NO WI-FI, you have to purchase it. Second..I told you I was a freak. I found stains on the bed skirts. I know I'm not the only one that doesn't think it's coffee stains on the bed skirts. Your in a hotel, your mind goes automatically to gross.

But my hats off to the staff for an amazing experience. I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Raymond, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

In today's travelspere, you expect a Marriott Hotel to provide internet access but not at this hotel. If you want access, pay for it. The hotel is remote, serving the university and area. There are not amenities nearby, The staff were friendly, the water in the lobby cold and refreshing. The atrium windows were filthy, however. Not my favorite place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JoeS278, General Manager at Marriott Salt Lake City University Park, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Salt Lake City Marriott University Park and for sharing your experience. We truly appreciate the positive comments regarding your interaction with our Team Members and the complimentary water in the lobby area.

Your feedback is very important to our success. I can appreciate your frustration regarding the charge for Internet Access. Unfortunately this is Marriott requirement and we do not have the flexibility regarding this option. We do offer complimentary internet access in our lobby, Starbucks and our food and beverage outlets. We are also addressing the condition of our atrium windows.

Although our location was not ideal for your visit, we truly appreciate your patronage. Our goal is to always meet or exceed the guest experience by providing superior service and accommodations. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations.

You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We look forward to the possibility to serve you again in the future.

Joe Snarr | General Manager
Marriott University Park Hotel
Davis, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The front desk during our stay was extremely friendly and very helpful. The rooms are a bit small especially the bathrooms. The towels were old and scratchy. We arrive with no towels and no soap. We had to call down twice. The maid arrived and said she was busy. This was 9:30 at night. I judge a hotel by its bathroom and the shower was nicely designed with nice glass doors and tile. However, there was mold in the shower especially in the corners. This is just not a good housekeeping. We asked for a late check out which was graciously given. Very appreciative of that as we were pre riding a course for national time trails and needed to take a shower before getting on a plane. We put a do not disturb sign on the door and the maid knocked on the door and said we should be checked out. I told her we had a late check out and she gave me grief about it because she wanted to clean the room. I was shocked by her behavior. Our room included breakfast as the concierge lounge was closed on Saturday and it was a full buffet which was great.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JoeS278, General Manager at Marriott Salt Lake City University Park, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Chiili –

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at the Salt Lake City Marriott University Park. We greatly appreciate your comments regarding the helpful and friendly service received from our front office team, and the added benefit of a full breakfast buffet being offered on the weekend for our concierge guests.

You also indicated in your response that our maid service, overall professionalism from our maids and cleanliness of your shower was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.

We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Since this time, we have reviewed your comments with our housekeeping team and have implemented a weekly training program on proper behavior and how to better communicate with our guests. We have also adjusted the inspection process for our bathrooms to ensure these experiences are not repeated.

We are grateful for your patronage and look forward to being of better service to you in the near future.

Joe Snarr
San Antonio, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Quick weekend overnight at the Marriott Salt Lake City University Park. Hotel is in a quiet part of town near the U. A little bit out of the way but not bad. Staff is obviously well trained and everyone we encountered tried hard to impress. Room was clean in everything was in good shape. Ample free parking. Had snacks in the Pitchers sports bar (not so good) and breakfast buffet (average) in the hotel restaurant. Full service Starbucks in the lobby was good. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Salt Lake City University Park? Share your experiences!