“Clean Room with a Beautiful View” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #33 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Clean Room with a Beautiful View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is undergoing renovation right now, but it didn't impact our stay. The room was clean and comfortable. There was however, something in the HVAC system that would periodically make a clunking noise. Unfortunately we didn't discover this until late at night so we didn't try to get anyone to fix it. We stayed on the Concierge level so breakfast was provided and tasty with plenty of choices.
This hotel is very convenient to the University of Utah.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
St. George, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have stayed here a few times over the years and they are making progress. Beautiful renovation on the rooms. Very comfy. Construction is going on in several areas of the hotel and they could do a better job of excusing the mess. Felt like I was in the middle of a construction project. That might have been because I was in the middle of a construction project.

Room Tip: Keep in mind this hotel is up the hill and removed from downtown Salt Lake. That could be good or b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Verdi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

If we hadn't tried the buffet, we wouldn't have found one thing that wasn't done well. However, I must say, the buffet was the worst I've ever encountered. The hotel was quiet and comfortable. The people who worked there were pleasant and efficient.

Room Tip: Our room was far from the elevators, but we could get to the pool by using the back stairs:-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The rooms were clean and spacious - the one I had on the 4th floor was actually bigger than the one my relatives had on the 7th floor, which were supposed to be better. I also liked having the Starbucks inside the lobby. It was quiet and slept really well due to the very comfortable bed. My only complaint was the dish tv that went out during a rain storm.

Room Tip: After seeing the size of the 7th floor room my relatives had compared to mine, I would choose someth...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

After a long drive, we were looking for a good hotel that was low-key. We drove up without a reservation and received great service (even at midnight), a beautiful renovated room that was superclean and spacious. We were able to eat breakfast there (very gracious staff at the restaurant as well) and get back on the road efficiently. We were actually bummed we couldn't stay another night and look forward to making this our Salt Lake City go-to hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Central New Hampshire, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Based on the rate I paid, this was an excellent value. I might hesitate to pay rack rate until they "clean up" a few things, mostly due to the ongoing renovation. Hotel had a typical Marriott lobby with seven-story atrium, glass elevators, wide open spaces. Front desk was the most understated front desk I've ever (not) seen. We walked right by it when we arrived, thinking it was the concierge.

Our family had two rooms for three nights on the same hallway but not attached. Both were about the same with one king bed, sliding frosted glass door to bathroom (a little weird), stall shower with all glass door - not frosted. Our room at the end of the hallway was slightly larger, though closet did not have a door like the other room. Nice linens and comforter, excellent temperature controls, other amenities such as shampoos, coffee machine. Breakfast buffet was excellent, and might be a good way to skip lunch! Only two elevators in the hotel, but surprisingly fast. Hotel was full our first two days, but we never were inconvenienced at all.

Hotel was still under renovation, so public areas such as our hallway, were sort of messy, but we did not feel it impacted our stay in a negative way. I was surprised that there is no information about the hotel in the room. I had to call the front desk to find out about the pool hours, internet access questions, local area questions, etc. I was also surprised at the inability to order movies. Room service was a bit pricey with multiple fees (delivery charge plus an 18% service charge, but still a blank space for a "tip").

I very much liked the location being outside of the city proper. I have now stayed right downtown in Salt Lake and here at the University Marriott, and I much preferred being on the University of Utah campus. You will need a car, but parking is free, and access to city or I-80 is very easy to navigate. Walking on the campus is great, and if you're going to an outdoor concert at Red Buttes, you can walk to it in ten minutes. Staff was friendly, but who isn't in Salt Lake City? A HUGE plus is the Starbucks in the lobby -- just try getting a good cup of java downtown! It ain't easy! The views, at least from our side of the hotel, were spectacular looking up to the Wasatch Range. It was very peaceful.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms (x42) at end of hallway, while a long walk from elevator, are bigger rooms...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
S.F. Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I really like this Marriott property. I stay only at Marriotts, and this is one of my favorite rooms. Yes, they are going through renovations in the lobby and halls, but my room was completely redone and work is done during business hours. Room was clean, bed comfy, and bathroom was a stall shower, not a tub w/ shower curtain! Not to mention the decor was not the typical red and gold, but greens and blues. I know, who the heck cares on color, but when you stay at Marriotts every week like I do, it matters. The hotel is up in the foot hills so there are great views of SLC and the mountains. There are no loud freeways nearby which makes for a peaceful rest.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Salt Lake City University Park? Share your experiences!