“Great value, beautiful location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi For Members
Ranked #39 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Central New Hampshire, USA
“Great value, beautiful location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Based on the rate I paid, this was an excellent value. I might hesitate to pay rack rate until they "clean up" a few things, mostly due to the ongoing renovation. Hotel had a typical Marriott lobby with seven-story atrium, glass elevators, wide open spaces. Front desk was the most understated front desk I've ever (not) seen. We walked right by it when we arrived, thinking it was the concierge.

Our family had two rooms for three nights on the same hallway but not attached. Both were about the same with one king bed, sliding frosted glass door to bathroom (a little weird), stall shower with all glass door - not frosted. Our room at the end of the hallway was slightly larger, though closet did not have a door like the other room. Nice linens and comforter, excellent temperature controls, other amenities such as shampoos, coffee machine. Breakfast buffet was excellent, and might be a good way to skip lunch! Only two elevators in the hotel, but surprisingly fast. Hotel was full our first two days, but we never were inconvenienced at all.

Hotel was still under renovation, so public areas such as our hallway, were sort of messy, but we did not feel it impacted our stay in a negative way. I was surprised that there is no information about the hotel in the room. I had to call the front desk to find out about the pool hours, internet access questions, local area questions, etc. I was also surprised at the inability to order movies. Room service was a bit pricey with multiple fees (delivery charge plus an 18% service charge, but still a blank space for a "tip").

I very much liked the location being outside of the city proper. I have now stayed right downtown in Salt Lake and here at the University Marriott, and I much preferred being on the University of Utah campus. You will need a car, but parking is free, and access to city or I-80 is very easy to navigate. Walking on the campus is great, and if you're going to an outdoor concert at Red Buttes, you can walk to it in ten minutes. Staff was friendly, but who isn't in Salt Lake City? A HUGE plus is the Starbucks in the lobby -- just try getting a good cup of java downtown! It ain't easy! The views, at least from our side of the hotel, were spectacular looking up to the Wasatch Range. It was very peaceful.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms (x42) at end of hallway, while a long walk from elevator, are bigger rooms...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Megapod

S.F. Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I really like this Marriott property. I stay only at Marriotts, and this is one of my favorite rooms. Yes, they are going through renovations in the lobby and halls, but my room was completely redone and work is done during business hours. Room was clean, bed comfy, and bathroom was a stall shower, not a tub w/ shower curtain! Not to mention the decor was not the typical red and gold, but greens and blues. I know, who the heck cares on color, but when you stay at Marriotts every week like I do, it matters. The hotel is up in the foot hills so there are great views of SLC and the mountains. There are no loud freeways nearby which makes for a peaceful rest.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Let me start with the good - the people working there are really really nice, helpful, just great. Rooms are fine and clean, beds OK, everything worked properly except the alarm clock that went off in the middle of the night. Plenty of parking. The hotel is still experiencing renovation but we were not impacted by it. Enormous Dale Chihuly chandelier in the lobby. So all in all, OK. Except that the food there was just under mediocre, the service in the bar was remarkably unprofessional (albeit pleasant) and expensive - a bottle of La Crema Pinot Noir (usually @$20- 22.) for $65.00. Ridiculous and opened at the bar and brought to the table corked again - glasses out and poured without asking anyone to check it first. No lemon in the bar for a tea order. No lemon in a bar? The hotel doesn't offer in-room movies. We had traveled all day and wanted to watch a movie and relax after going out to dinner. The spa? Bleachy fumed pool - no thanks. Exercise machine looked OK but I didn't use them. We wanted to sit out on the patio next to the pool for some sun but someone (probably from one of the the HS reunions the previous evening- had vomited out there and it wasn't cleaned up. Not restful sunning. And so - average rating. If not for the bar and movies I would say very good. Location would also be problematic except that we were there for something five minutes away. Very close to the wonderful Red Butte facilities.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I came to this hotel to attend a concert at Red Buttes, which is close and convenient. The hotel was under construction, and I was unaware of this when the room was booked. I was in and out in 1 night, but still, I wouldn't have stayed there if I knew about the construction. The lobby was a complete mess, walking over wires, plastic tarps. Hopefully it is fixed by now, that was 2 mos. ago. Front desk and bar workers very very good and friendly. Gave good recommendation for
pizza.

Room Tip: Make sure there is no construction.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We recently held a strategy meeting for our company where we brought in our consultants from all over the US to SLC. All of them told us that the rooms were great. The meeting room (boardroom) was wonderful with a great view. The staff were attentive and the food & beverage and equipment went off without any hitches. I will DEFINITELY plan another meeting here. We were very pleased with the entire experience!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and I just got back from having an enjoyable and relaxing stay. We were there for my birthday weekend and Shelby and Dani- front desk- were very pleasant to work with and always greeted us with a warm smile. It is right next to the U of U and Hogle Zoo and about a 10 min. drive to downtown SLC. Its up the hill so it has great views of the Salt Lake Valley. The indoor pool and jacuzzi were perfect for the kids and the room we stayed in was renovated with a fridge. As a Utah Alum this hotel was also well known for housing the eccentric late Coach Rick Majerus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank shaneyboy00
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel was very nice for a relatively short business stay. Near the University of Utah campus, this hotel was very well appointed, and the room service selections were borderline excellent. The hotel was being renovated during my stay, and there were some problems with the air conditioning one night (in late June - ouch!). My air conditioning woes were remedied the next day, so I only spent one uncomfortable night, but this, and the lack of consistent front desk staff, are the reasons I am giving this Marriott a "3", instead of a "5."

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business