“Reunion trip” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   206 South West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101 (Formerly Shilo Inn Suites Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #45 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Vancouver, Washington, United States
“Reunion trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The room was comfortable but nothing fancy. The grounds around the hotel were very tired and needed updating. Front desk staff were efficient and check in went very smooth. Access from the parking garage was limited as a set of direct stairs were blocked off and it did not appear there would be any effort to repair. One of the elevator was also out of order during our stay. Appears the property was recently sold.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Michael H, Sales Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I was happy to read that you had a comfortable stay. I was also happy to read that our front desk was efficient in your check in. We strive for good customer service, and I am happy that it seems our desk staff made a good impression.

You are completely right, this property been sold. Our new owners agree that we are bit dated, which is why we are currently undergoing a full remodel of the property. Once this remodel is complete, we will have a property that will be modern and up to date.

This, unfortunately, can cause some limitations with our parking, which is why we have those stairs taped up for the time being. The construction crew is using the top floor of the parking garage, so that area has been blocked off for guest safety. Once our hotel is fully updated, our parking should not be as problematic.

We would love for you to stay with us again, especially once we are remodeled. We hope that we can make your next reunion trip a pleasant and memorable one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

July 16 - 19, 2014 -Terrible Mildew in the bath tub, AC would never shut off, elevators seldom worked and when they did work the floor you selected was not the floor the door would open up to. Broken coffee maker, paper thin towels that were shredded on all sides. I was quoted $129.00 a night but was charged $169.00 a night. The manager did correct this after several phone calls. Would I stay here again? NO!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Michael H, Sales Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
I was sorry to read about how poorly your stay went in your review. We do want our guests to have the very best experience they can at our hotel, especially during conventions. The lapses in the room have been reported to the respective department heads, and action has been taken to fix the problems for future guests.

One of the reasons we are currently undergoing a full remodel is to update our facilities, which will better accommodate our guests. We are excited to say that the hotel will be completely new, which includes everything from the A/C to the Bathrooms, the coffeemakers to the elevators.

I apologize for any misunderstanding regarding the rates. Although we did offer a discounted group rate of $129.00 based on 1-2 adults in each room, additional person fees were specified in our group agreement. I am glad that our manager was able to resolve the situation for you, and try and make up for what went wrong.

We hope that you will reconsider staying with us again, especially for next years convention, when we will be fully remolded.
omaha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We called them on the phone to make a reservation. The staff went out of their way to make our reservation and check in easy and they were very accommodating. The hotel is going through renovations so some of the floors are closed. The lobby was ok. Our room had not been updated yet. We had a ceiling tile that was up a little bit and we called the desk and someone came up within a few minutes to fix it. The room was quite. We didn't hear any hall noise or from the surrounding rooms. We parked in the lot next to the hotel so we didn't have far to walk. I think this will be a great hotel once it is remodeled. Enjoyed the breakfast options.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
I am happy to hear that your stay went so well.

Our front desk is trained to provide the best experience they can for our guests. From the review it sounds like they succeeded in making your stay a good one.

I can't agree with you more about the remodel. I hope that you will come see the hotel once it is done, as I am sure that you would enjoy it.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

What a nightmare! First of all the parking there made me pray to god a superhero was going to appear around the corner to escort me to the hotel. Once inside I felt like the lobby was a little dated like the 40's.
The room was okay until I looked in the sink and noticed several hairs. The decorative pillow had some kind of stain that I'm sure would glow under a blue light.
The straight up at 7:00AM the drilling began. When I called and asked what the hell was going on they said they had signs up informing everyone that they are under construction from 7 to 7.
Really??? You couldn't tell me this as I was checking in?

Ya avoid this place!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Michael H, Sales Coordinator at Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, as any information we gather helps us to improve our guest experience.

I was upset at hearing about your room's condition, as it was not up to our own standards. I will be making the housekeeping supervisors aware of your experience.

We do apologize for the parking inconvenience. As you yourself noted, our hotel lobby is out of date. In fact, we would say that the hotel, at the moment, is out of date. That is why we are excited about the new renovations going on right now. We will be changing the entirety of the hotel from our current out of date model, into a new modern product. The unfortunate side effects of this remodeling are the diminishing of our parking stalls, and the noise that can be created by the construction.

We do try to make all of our guests aware of our construction, as we want every guest who stays here to have the most enjoyable time that they can. We will redouble our efforts to make sure everyone knows about the construction times and procedures.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us when we are fully remolded and reopen as a Holiday Inn Express. We would love to try and make a better impression, especially once our construction is complete.

Michael Howe
Sales Coordinator
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I only stayed one night here but the staff were friendly and helpful, My room was a decent size but what I did like about this hotel is there 24 hour gym and pool area I made good use of there gym after arriving late in the afternoon and after finding a place to eat and a bit of sightseeing !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TravelingFamilyGal, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay last September! We are pleased to hear that our staff were friendly and helpful. We are glad to hear you took advantage of our 24 hour gym and indoor pool area.

Our hotel is in the process of renovating our guestrooms & public spaces. Later this year we will be doing a complete renovation of our fitness center, indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. Upon completion, we will officially become a Holiday Inn Express.

We hope you will return to our hotel to check our our Holiday Inn Express next year!
Twinsburg, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Really weird experience. I had reservations for a five night stay and after the first night I had personal reservations about ever staying here again. I will not. The room looked decent and the desk staff was pleasant but that's where the fun ended. While the beds were comfortable I quickly became concerned about housekeeping. After our first night we made ourselves comfortable and went sightseeing in the morning. When we returned to our room we found our personal health and beauty items were missing. Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, hair clips and bobby pins, everything personal my daughter and I had brought, $50 worth of personal products. I immediately reported this to the front desk and came away very unsatisfied. I reported it again to another person at the desk and they seemed unaware and unconcerned. I asked for a call from the manager and never received so much as a peep from anyone, no apology, no explanation, nothing.
As they supposedly try to conserve resources at this establishment they ask that you reuse towels but if you want new ones you are to place them on the floor. Second night the towels and wash clothes I had place on the floor were back on the side of the tub...hung out to dry..after they had been on the floor. Gross. Third day we slept in and told housekeeping that that room was now empty at about 10:30am. They were still working the floor but when we came back that night our beds were not made and no other housekeeping chores had been attended to.
More> Construction workers and housekeeping use the guest elevators. One housekeeping guy didn't even roll the extension cord up on the vacuum and let the cord trail behind him while he was talking on his cell phone headset very loudly in a private conversation while the elevator was full of guests. An unprofessional slob. Room had filthy windows inside and out.
Now I am not sure if linens were clean or just refolded.
A guy was reporting his car stolen at the desk on the 4th morning of our stay.
By the time we checked out my daughter was disgusted with the place and I was about ready to blow a cork. I will be contacting Corporate further with my complaints. Not expecting anything in return except personal satisfaction that I voiced my opinion.
Good. Bedding, breakfast if you don't expect variety. #1-biscuit, eggs, potatoes, extra fat bacon or the #2- pick two of toast, muffin, cereal or yogurt. yay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Pamela E, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
We appreciate you coming forward with your concerns and wish to offer our sincerest apologies for your experience not meeting your highest satisfaction. Unfortunately, we (Managers) were not properly made aware of your concerns and wish to remedy your experience at our hotel. We have met with each party involved and are taking proactive measures to prevent future concerns such as yours. We are in hopes you would please be willing to contact us and provide us your contact information so we may communicate with you personally regarding your stay.
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel was under construction, but they were very clear about the working times, so we knew what to expect. What stood out to me most of all was their customer service. They went above and beyond what I ever expected to make sure that my stay was pleasant. The front desk staff was very helpful & so willing to aid me with everything that I needed! Even when I had transportation issues the day I was supposed to leave, they came back & picked me up without a complaint. Since it was so last minute, I ended up staying with friends at a different hotel that night, & yet they STILL brought me back to catch my transportation the next morning! Above and beyond the call of duty - I was so so impressed. I highly highly recommend The Shiloh if you want to be treated with kindness and care. My husband was able to rest easy knowing that I was taken care of and safe while traveling by myself - all thanks to the awesome front desk staff.

Room Tip: Don't plan on sleeping in while they are doing renovations :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
TravelingFamilyGal, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for choosing Shilo Inn Salt Lake City for your recent. We greatly value your feedback on TripAdvisor and we are pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant.

It's true that our hotel is currently undergoing renovations. Renovations are currently taking place on the 2nd, 11th and 12th floors Monday - Saturday from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. We are glad to hear that our staff was successful in communicating with you regarding construction times, so you knew what to expect. We are thrilled to hear that our customer service exceeded your expectations.

We are also pleased to hear that you appreciated our complimentary 24 hour airport shuttle service. We are glad we are able to accommodate your transportation needs.

Our renovation is well underway and we are in the process of converting our hotel to a Holiday Inn Express by January 2015. We hope you will come and visit us again next year. Next time, please bring your family. There are so many family friendly attractions and entertainment venues nearby.

Thanks again,