“Friendliest staff I have ever dealt with” 3 of 5 stars

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   206 South West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Ranked #58 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
omaha
“Friendliest staff I have ever dealt with”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We called them on the phone to make a reservation. The staff went out of their way to make our reservation and check in easy and they were very accommodating. The hotel is going through renovations so some of the floors are closed. The lobby was ok. Our room had not been updated yet. We had a ceiling tile that was up a little bit and we called the desk and someone came up within a few minutes to fix it. The room was quite. We didn't hear any hall noise or from the surrounding rooms. We parked in the lot next to the hotel so we didn't have far to walk. I think this will be a great hotel once it is remodeled. Enjoyed the breakfast options.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Michael H, Sales Coordinator at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
I am happy to hear that your stay went so well.

Our front desk is trained to provide the best experience they can for our guests. From the review it sounds like they succeeded in making your stay a good one.

I can't agree with you more about the remodel. I hope that you will come see the hotel once it is done, as I am sure that you would enjoy it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

What a nightmare! First of all the parking there made me pray to god a superhero was going to appear around the corner to escort me to the hotel. Once inside I felt like the lobby was a little dated like the 40's.
The room was okay until I looked in the sink and noticed several hairs. The decorative pillow had some kind of stain that I'm sure would glow under a blue light.
The straight up at 7:00AM the drilling began. When I called and asked what the hell was going on they said they had signs up informing everyone that they are under construction from 7 to 7.
Really??? You couldn't tell me this as I was checking in?

Ya avoid this place!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Michael H, Sales Coordinator at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, as any information we gather helps us to improve our guest experience.

I was upset at hearing about your room's condition, as it was not up to our own standards. I will be making the housekeeping supervisors aware of your experience.

We do apologize for the parking inconvenience. As you yourself noted, our hotel lobby is out of date. In fact, we would say that the hotel, at the moment, is out of date. That is why we are excited about the new renovations going on right now. We will be changing the entirety of the hotel from our current out of date model, into a new modern product. The unfortunate side effects of this remodeling are the diminishing of our parking stalls, and the noise that can be created by the construction.

We do try to make all of our guests aware of our construction, as we want every guest who stays here to have the most enjoyable time that they can. We will redouble our efforts to make sure everyone knows about the construction times and procedures.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us when we are fully remolded and reopen as a Holiday Inn Express. We would love to try and make a better impression, especially once our construction is complete.

Michael Howe
Sales Coordinator
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I only stayed one night here but the staff were friendly and helpful, My room was a decent size but what I did like about this hotel is there 24 hour gym and pool area I made good use of there gym after arriving late in the afternoon and after finding a place to eat and a bit of sightseeing !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TravelingFamilyGal, Director of Sales at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay last September! We are pleased to hear that our staff were friendly and helpful. We are glad to hear you took advantage of our 24 hour gym and indoor pool area.

Our hotel is in the process of renovating our guestrooms & public spaces. Later this year we will be doing a complete renovation of our fitness center, indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. Upon completion, we will officially become a Holiday Inn Express.

We hope you will return to our hotel to check our our Holiday Inn Express next year!
Twinsburg, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Really weird experience. I had reservations for a five night stay and after the first night I had personal reservations about ever staying here again. I will not. The room looked decent and the desk staff was pleasant but that's where the fun ended. While the beds were comfortable I quickly became concerned about housekeeping. After our first night we made ourselves comfortable and went sightseeing in the morning. When we returned to our room we found our personal health and beauty items were missing. Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, hair clips and bobby pins, everything personal my daughter and I had brought, $50 worth of personal products. I immediately reported this to the front desk and came away very unsatisfied. I reported it again to another person at the desk and they seemed unaware and unconcerned. I asked for a call from the manager and never received so much as a peep from anyone, no apology, no explanation, nothing.
As they supposedly try to conserve resources at this establishment they ask that you reuse towels but if you want new ones you are to place them on the floor. Second night the towels and wash clothes I had place on the floor were back on the side of the tub...hung out to dry..after they had been on the floor. Gross. Third day we slept in and told housekeeping that that room was now empty at about 10:30am. They were still working the floor but when we came back that night our beds were not made and no other housekeeping chores had been attended to.
More> Construction workers and housekeeping use the guest elevators. One housekeeping guy didn't even roll the extension cord up on the vacuum and let the cord trail behind him while he was talking on his cell phone headset very loudly in a private conversation while the elevator was full of guests. An unprofessional slob. Room had filthy windows inside and out.
Now I am not sure if linens were clean or just refolded.
A guy was reporting his car stolen at the desk on the 4th morning of our stay.
By the time we checked out my daughter was disgusted with the place and I was about ready to blow a cork. I will be contacting Corporate further with my complaints. Not expecting anything in return except personal satisfaction that I voiced my opinion.
Good. Bedding, breakfast if you don't expect variety. #1-biscuit, eggs, potatoes, extra fat bacon or the #2- pick two of toast, muffin, cereal or yogurt. yay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Pamela E, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
We appreciate you coming forward with your concerns and wish to offer our sincerest apologies for your experience not meeting your highest satisfaction. Unfortunately, we (Managers) were not properly made aware of your concerns and wish to remedy your experience at our hotel. We have met with each party involved and are taking proactive measures to prevent future concerns such as yours. We are in hopes you would please be willing to contact us and provide us your contact information so we may communicate with you personally regarding your stay.
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel was under construction, but they were very clear about the working times, so we knew what to expect. What stood out to me most of all was their customer service. They went above and beyond what I ever expected to make sure that my stay was pleasant. The front desk staff was very helpful & so willing to aid me with everything that I needed! Even when I had transportation issues the day I was supposed to leave, they came back & picked me up without a complaint. Since it was so last minute, I ended up staying with friends at a different hotel that night, & yet they STILL brought me back to catch my transportation the next morning! Above and beyond the call of duty - I was so so impressed. I highly highly recommend The Shiloh if you want to be treated with kindness and care. My husband was able to rest easy knowing that I was taken care of and safe while traveling by myself - all thanks to the awesome front desk staff.

Room Tip: Don't plan on sleeping in while they are doing renovations :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
TravelingFamilyGal, Director of Sales at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for choosing Shilo Inn Salt Lake City for your recent. We greatly value your feedback on TripAdvisor and we are pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant.

It's true that our hotel is currently undergoing renovations. Renovations are currently taking place on the 2nd, 11th and 12th floors Monday - Saturday from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. We are glad to hear that our staff was successful in communicating with you regarding construction times, so you knew what to expect. We are thrilled to hear that our customer service exceeded your expectations.

We are also pleased to hear that you appreciated our complimentary 24 hour airport shuttle service. We are glad we are able to accommodate your transportation needs.

Our renovation is well underway and we are in the process of converting our hotel to a Holiday Inn Express by January 2015. We hope you will come and visit us again next year. Next time, please bring your family. There are so many family friendly attractions and entertainment venues nearby.

Thanks again,
Nicole Walker
Director of Sales
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We drove around the block a few times looking for the hotel. We couldn't see the hotel's sign due to trees obscuring our view from road level and some of the street names didn't match Google Maps streetnames. We checked in and parked the car in the last space in the small surface car park. The multi storey car park next door was mainly occupied by contractors working on the hotel. There was some noise from work on the higher floors at the back but it wasn't too intrusive for us being on the 5th floor. There was occasionally clouds of dust as rubble was dropped down a chute into a skip.
The room was a little dated and I could see where the upgrades were needed (mainly in the en-suite) but it was clean and comfortable and would be ok for the 2 nights we had booked. Breakfast was taken in the Japanese restaurant next door and we were given tickets which we gave to the server so we didn't have to pay. The breakfast was pretty basic but filled a corner. There was a bar but on the first night there was noone in and the second night it was closed. Giving the hotel the benfit of the doubt, I assume it will be better when the alterations are done

Room Tip: A room as far away from the workmen would be best at the moment
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael H, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the feedback. We appreciate your kind remarks regarding our great location comfortable rooms.

We also appreciate your feedback concerning renovations and limited parking. We agree that our rooms are a bit dated, which is why we are so excited for this renovation to occur. We also thank you for your patience regarding the limited parking as we are updating. We are in the process of renovating the guest rooms, replacing 2 elevators, updating the public spaces, lobby, pool and exterior of the property. We will re-brand as a Holiday Inn Express in early 2015. As a Holiday Inn Express, we will have a premier property and a great location.

Thank you for giving us the benefit of the doubt and if you are returning to Salt Lake City next year we hope you will stay with again and see our new product.

Michael Howe
Sales Coordinator
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Mgr. took the time to work out a credit card problem, thanks. Room was great, TV fine. Parking provided. Excellent rate, remodeling so I hope they keep a good rate. Other hotels downtown are overpriced, way overpriced. Good eating place. The worst exercise room I have ever been in; well, I walk in, got on the walking treadmill, nothing, and no air at all, so hot that no one could exercise. The equipment did not work, so, completely useless space. I was afraid to use the pool then, if no upkeep on the exercise room, I did not want to chance weak upkeep with the pool. I will stay again, but $10.00 cheaper for no services.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
TravelingFamilyGal, Director of Sales at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the feedback. We are glad to hear your compliments regarding our affordable guestrooms and we are happy to hear that our Manager resolved the credit card issue.

Thank you for the feedback concerning the fitness center and indoor pool. Our property recently we started a major renovation on May 27, 2014. We are completely renovating the guest rooms, public spaces, lobby, pool and exterior of the property. The fitness center, pool and hot tub area will be completely renovated this fall.

We will re-brand as a Holiday Inn Express in early 2015. As a Holiday Inn Express, we will have a premier property and you can expect to see a drastic improvement in the overall quality of this hotel.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us as a Holiday Inn Express next year. We would love the opportunity to impress you on your next stay.

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!