“Our worst hotel on this trip but still very good for us.” 4 of 5 stars

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   206 South West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Ranked #58 of 76 hotels in Salt Lake City
rotherham,england
“Our worst hotel on this trip but still very good for us.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

As I have said the Shilo Inn was the worst on our recent trip but we had a nice stay there,the place could do with a refurb but it's still OK.We were on the twelfth floor and the room was large, comfortable and clean,the microwave was rather old fashioned with no turntable and not much power,the carpet was abit dark,the main problem with the room was the A/C that was efficient but so noisy we could not have it on to long at night, and like someone has said the window does not open for health & safety reasons but a small opening would have been nice.The pool is a good size but 9ft at the deep end so care maybe needed with small children,the spa is so long you could have a party in it,there is also a gym and sauna.All the staff we came in contact were friendly and when needed helpful and polite,especially 1 young lady on the desk who we had a laugh with.The Inn is close to downtown,a short walk to Temple Square,a trip to the State Capital is abit of a climb but worth a visit,has free but limited car parking spaces,breakfast and free wi-fi so it suited us nicely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Royj,

I appreciate you taking time to post a review and staying with us while visiting Salt Lake. I have addressed the issues you had with our maintenance department and they have been resolved. I want to thank you for all of your comments which we have reviewed with our staff. We are all committed to do all we can to ensure our guests a clean, comfortable, friendly home away from home with customer service second to none. I assure you that on your next visit we will not be the worst hotel on your trip. I hope to see you again soon.

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at the Shilo Inn for 8 nights. The cleaning staff was very friendly, the other staff members (aside from 2 in the cafe) just did what they needed to do with minimal enthusiasm. the shuttle service was great and I loved that they had 3 working elevators - one with a spectacular view of sunrise and sunset! The hotel itself is tired. It seems it needs a bit of a facelift. There is a water stain on the ceiling of the lobby, and rather old decor. The room was pleasant, very clean which was wonderful but the windows needed a nice scrub, our windows didn't open so the air circulation was none existent. Breakfast was nice, nothing fancy from the little cafe next door you get coupons. The weight room & pool.... Needed some help and were rather dreary. The location is simply wonderful!!!! There is a rumour of it being haunted on floor 11 but we didn't have any issues with any unexpected guests ;).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear KnewYrzGirl,

I want to thank you for staying with us while you were in Salt Lake and I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and voicing your concerns. I have shared your review with our staff and I assure you that we are all committed to giving the very best customer service to every guest. We are in the process of updating areas of the hotel and are always working to ensure our guests excellent service and accommodations.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and I hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have to start by thanking Lisa for her great customer care. From the moment I walked in to Shilo inn she was attentive and cordial to my needs and request. Always with a happy attitude and smile in her face she was able to fulfill my needs and get me a great view of Salt Lake city. For a couple of hours I was hunting for a last minute prices and locations downtown SLC. Other places were expensive and did not have available rooms. I have membership card to other hotels but at Shilo Inn Hotel they offered me the best rate through TripAdvisor. Thanks Lisa. I hope you get a raise soon. Thanks for the best customer service while hunting for a hotel room. Thanks Trip Advisor for offering your services.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
LoCruz,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I also want to thank you for letting me know about the great customer service you received from Lisa. I have let Lisa and all of our staff how much I appreciate the great job they do. I appreciate you choosing the Shilo Inn and hope to have you as our guest again soon.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was a little worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews, but it was perfect for us.The room was large clean and had everything we needed. Free car parking and complimentary breakfast were also included.5 minutes walk to Creek shopping centre and Temple Square.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cazhgs,

I just wanted to thank you for being our guest at the Shilo Inn Salt Lake and taking time to post your review. I appreciate you giving us an opportunity to show you our great customer service. We hope to see you again soon.

Escondido, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed two nights for the convenience to downtown Salt Lake, but this place needs a major refurbishing. The room was OK, except for: 1) dim lights that made bedside reading impossible, and 2) a refrigerator that failed to work. They issue coupons for breakfast next door at a sleazy eatery that serves pitifully small portions and tiny glasses of juice. The carpets are threadbare and filthy, the parking garage littered with debris, the paint and wallpaper cracked and peeling, rusty bare pipes. The halls reeked of insecticide. The entrance could use a good sweeping and power washing, in addition to some concrete repairs. Creepy characters hanging around the entrance, as well. Next time, we'll use another downtown hotel and pay a little more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear EdR_11,

I want to thank you for taking time to post your review. I have discussed your review with our staff, the lights and refrigerator have been replace. Refurbishing the hotel is an ongoing project, with projects going on now and others scheduled. I appreciate you staying with us and your feedback.

Best Regards,

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The staff seemed nice, the room clean, but we would have checked out immediately if we had an alternative. So, we checked out first thing the next morning. This hotel smelled old and musty at teh lobby. The parking was tight for a normal sized sedan, the lot was filled to capacity and had folks of questionable character loitering there upon our arrival. While the rest of my party went in, I went to park and did not feel safe getting out of my car with working girls and the like about. My husband came to escort me back into the hotel. The ceilings are low, the rooms are dark. The bathrooms are very dated as is the worn decor. It just felt dirty. Oh, for $150 per night. We moved to the HIlton for $80 the next night. Not the HIlton Garden Inn... the Hilton. Yes the parking cost more, but the service, amenities, and cleanliness were so far superior! This is a place for at least half the rate we were charged. Will never return.

Room Tip: Go any where else, not here!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Post Falls, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We checked in late one night, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The location is right in the middle of downtown, which is nice... but... our room, first thing on walking into it, we noticed that the light was almost out it was so dim, and it flickered, so right away the kids were spooked... LOL
OK, so I figured I would turn on another light to brighten the room, but it did not work. Then, I went to try another light... it did not work! I went to call the desk and noticed a flickering red light on the phone that said we had a message waiting (but it was just broken too). As I looked around, I noticed the clock was out and finally realized that the power to our room was out and then noticed a hole in the ceiling. The front desk said they would send someone up to fix things, so I used the restroom while I waited, and noticed... no soap!
So, we called again and requested a new room to which they were happy to accommodate.
The next room was better and in good repair. The beds were very comfortable and the kids just loved the clean indoor pool. But... LOL, there is more! My wife went to use the pool area restroom, and the inside door handle came completely off and she could not get out of the bathroom! After rescuing her, I informed the front desk who dispatched someone right away to fix it. However, this was the nail in the coffin for us staying here again. Not that it isn't clean (it is), not that the staff isn't nice (they are), but, for $99+ per night, we could do better.
The hotel is a bit dated, late 70's, mid 80's-ish and is in need of updating. A staff member actually admitted that the phone blinking problem is typical for them and usually is fixed by a piece of tape over the light. So... take that for what you will.
Lastly, the breakfast was good, but a bit unusual as in you get to choose between three options for breakfast. There was no breakfast bar/buffet. But, it was decent.
With some minor fixes and adjustments, this hotel could be a real winner if they don't raise their prices after renovation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!