“Hotel great but we were conned in the parking lot!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #51 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Salem, Oregon
“Hotel great but we were conned in the parking lot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Our stay at this hotel was very comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. When getting ready to check out, my husband took his luggage to the car and came back and told me about a man in the parking lot who had gone jogging and lost his wallet. He said he had no money to get back to Lake Havasu AZ, was a military retiree who had traveled all over the world and had never had an experience like this. Both my husband and I went out with the remainder of our luggage and I walked over and talked to the man. He was dressed in jogging clothes, well groomed, finishing a conversation on his cell phone and I talked to him. We both felt badly for him and my husband gave me $20 to give him and I added $60 to that and the guy was so very appreciative and said he'd send us a check as soon as he got back to AZ. The guy was a CON ARTIST!!! We didn't contact management because we were embarrassed that we'd been conned!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
frbill92@hotmail.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

I stayed at the HIE for several nights at the end of November. I found the Hotel to be comfortable, clean and predictable for a HIE. The best part of the stay was the comfortable beds. The memory foam mattresses made for an excellent night's sleep. The breakfast was very good with biscuits, sausage, various kinds of eggs. There were also many cereal choices and dairy products. The night I arrived the hotel served a delicious soup and sandwich meal. I found my stay here to be pleasant and would return. My only complaint was the price. The cost was a little high for the location which is some distance from downtown Salt Lake City. There is easy access to the freeway, however, making travel around the SLC valley very easy. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay here again on another visit to SLC.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

We stayed at the HIE on our way to the Southern Utah national parks and pretty much got what we had expected. The hotel is right off the interstate, which has the advantage that you don't have to look for it. The disadvantage is the terrible noise. There was kind of a truck race going on in the middle of the night which kept us awake for some time.
The hotel itself is ok. The rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast was just ok and quite crowded. The swimming pool was nice, fitness room felt cramped.
Staff was very friendly and helpful, from check in through check out.
So generally a fairly good hotel if you don't mind sleeping practically on the highway, away from the city center.

• Liked — friendliness of staff, nice pool, clean rooms
  • Disliked — noise from the interstate, breakfast too busy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NoVa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

This is pretty much what I expected of this type of hotel. I have become accustomed to staying in better hotels, so I wasn't expecting much, but it wasn't entirely bad. The room was clean and the bedding and towels were soft and comfortable. I would have liked a king-sized bed, but that may just be the person who booked the room for me. The bathroom fan and the heating/cooling system were unbearably loud. Also, I had what appeared to be a handicapped-accessible room, which meant the shower was wheelchair accessible. The tiles on the floor, however, did not seem to be slanted towards the drain, so each day the entire bathroom floor was soaked. I also did not like the area of the hotel. I was traveling for work and did not have a car (my coworkers did), so I was unable to go out for dinner. My only options were Denny's, Burger King, and Wendy's. It is also not a walkable area. Overall, it wasn't an entirely bad experience, I have just become used to a different level of hotel.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I hardly ever write reviews... But what I do even less frequent is complain about the cleanliness (or lack thereof) of hotels. Now whenever we go out of town, my wife is like a super-germ-exterminator... She disinfects the beds, re-cleans the shower, and sanitizes everything else. I always poke fun at her because she overdoes it.....

Boy I wish she was here tonight...

I had to come to SLC on a last minute business trip... This was the only hotel I could find a the time... I'm now in my second room (in the first, the heating unit would not get warm). At least that room was more clean that my replacement room.

Both rooms are very dilapidated... This is a very old hotel that they tried to give a facelift, but it didn’t take. It’s not horrible, just not what I expected (even for the two-star hotel that it is).

I suppose the therapeutic mattress will prove to be very comfortable and I hear the breakfast is pretty good… I hope so, because I’m checking out in the morning. I just found an opening at another hotel that I hope is a LOT better.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

If you don't care to stay a few miles out of dwt.S.L.C this is a good choice. Clean rooms, great poolsite but indeed a bit noisy, esspecially in the mornings. the rates was not so average
( $ 120) but the breakfast made it worth. diner places are right around the corner on the bigger blvd. ( the Chinese buffet is a great choice) the frontdesk girl was a stagiare, so had to ask a lot of questions to her manager, so it took us a wile te check in.
But a fair deal ( a bit overpriced...)

Stayed August 2007
Sonoma, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

Most of the rooms are close to 1-15, so instead of counting sheep, you will count tractor trailers passing by. The PTAC unit is very loud, but does an excellent job with keeping the room cool. Our room was a little dated, but they are advertising that they are remodeling the common areas and rooms. The tempurpedic bed was great, but the the bathroom was super small and not very comfortable to use if you are traveling with your wife. I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express's all over the country. This one was not worthy of a return visit.

• Liked — Non-smoking.
  • Disliked — Freeway noise, loud PTAC air conditioning unit.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Baymont Inn and Suites Murray/Salt Lake City? Share your experiences!