“Charming--Nice for the Price” 4 of 5 stars

Peery Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   110 W Broadway (300 South), Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Ranked #49 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Heber City, Utah
“Charming--Nice for the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I'll admit I would NOT have picked this hotel out of the stack, but I did a Priceline express deal for $51 plus tax and fees. I live in an hour away with an early morning conference and figured it would be easier to be downtown instead of getting up extra early.

I read the the reviews before I went and thought "What did I get myself into??" Well what did I get myself into? A pleasant surprise!

First the lobby is lovely, the front desk clerks were helpful and friendly (Wish I had gotten names but I was in a rush).

In the morning I had to run out and feed the parking meter and the door was opened for me out and in. (Just a nice touch)

So I got to the room. The elevator is a riot. I makes me feel like I am in an older hotel in England. It is small, but CUTE. The buttons are old (Probably from when the elevator was put in probably in the 1950s?"

Then you get to the room. I was put on the 3 floor in a quiet room. You open the door. BEAUTIFUL! I got there around 10pm a lamp was turned on. The canopy over the bed is charming. The closet is nice. The bathroom...I would have dared eat of the floor. Very clean. I have stayed in places recently where I paid more and I found popcorn behind the bed, or toilet lid that needed wiped down. But not there. It just felt clean! I took a bath (a surprise as I figured in a room like this it would be a dumpy shower in the corner) and the water was warm, the tub was deep. The bed was a memory foam bed that isn't my taste but was comfortable. The linens were clean and soft. White duvet scares me a little but I worked it out.

It just felt historic! I have recently been to England and when I walked into the room it just felt like England (except the shower didn't freak me out LOL)

There were some bad parts, worth mentioning. Parking. Downtown you are going to pay for parking but on the street 8pm to 8am is free. But I had a heck of a time on the automatic voice parking system at 8am. I had to throw on clothes run to the meter and hope I wasn't ticketed by 8:05am. I don't have a smart phone so I couldn't just scan the "hieroglyphs" . You can park for 10 hours for $6 but for me it would have expired 1/2 hour earlier than I needed. It was $12 for 24 which seems steep.

Internet is NOT free $10 a night is robbery. I just think Internet should be an amenity free for a hotel. I didn't really need it so I was fine (Could have helped to pay for my parking....grrr!!!)

NO breakfast, but I packed my own because I knew there wouldn't be one. The doors, I hate to say it but you have to slammed them to get them to shut. At 1am ( I was up... a bit of a night owl) I heard a door slam and I thought "Shut up it is 1 am!" In the morning I understand that you kinda of have too....or it doesn't close.

I Could have stayed at a chain with free breakfast and internet, but as I live an hour away I wanted a get-a-way feel. It was looking for an experience and this was fun! I could have just stayed home and got up early,but I didn't want to and this fit the bill! It just didn't feel like a traditional hotel room...boutique like feel.

I would stay again if it were just me. Not great for kids or families.

Room Tip: Floors are squeaky so try to get on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
I would like to personally thank you for your review. Customer Service is a key ingredient to the success of our hotel and I am please to hear our staff was very accommodating to all of your needs. I completely understand your frustrations regarding the paid parking and internet. Currently we are looking into different options to provide for our guests. We have had many requests regarding a breakfast and now offer a complimentary breakfast in addition to our coffee and tea station.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Rock Springs, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I'm amazed at some of these reviews. If you want a new, cookier cutter hotel, clearly this isn't for you but there are plenty of chain hotels nearby. If you're looking for a unique hotel with charm and character, pick this one! We stay here often and we've never had problems. The rooms have all been well cared for, housekeeping is great and the beds are wonderful. Parking is paid but so are many other downtown hotels.

I highly recommend this hotel but do keep in mind that it's historic! Jeeze!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future. We take pride in the history and design of the property and attempt to maintain its charm. I have forwarded your kind remarks to our Housekeeping Director. I know that our staff takes pride in making sure the cleanliness of our rooms meets the standards of our guests.
Richmond, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have stayed here many times over the last several years, quality is DOWN. Parking used to be free, now it's $12, internet is $10, should be free for this price, TV very limited, no pay per view, no HBO, room was cold, heat very reluctant, toilet required 2 flushes, one (only ONE) bar of soap for sink AND bath, bad matress, definitely transferring to Little America next time. This place was once worth the $140, they seem to have really cut back on the amenities. Such a beautiful historic property ... such a shame ... hasta la vista, Peery ...

Room Tip: one tip ... Little America
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
chico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Parking is free on street from 8 pm to 8 am only. Otherwise you need to pay $10-12 for 24 hours. Paid parking areas are abundant. Guest must pay for wifi as well. That being said, hotel was very tidy, rooms a little dated, but fine. It was a funky, old hotel, nicely redone a few years ago, so showing its wear and tear again, but clean. Easy to get to from I80. Restaurants are everywhere, great mall about 4 blocks away. Desk staff polite and lobby was beautiful. I got room super cheap through Priceline, so didn't complain about parking or wifi, but published rates are higher and I would have definitely felt cheated if I paid full price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ThePeeryHotel, General Manager at Peery Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and concerns. Guest reviews are very important in order for us to improve on our services. I do recognize and understand your frustration with parking and WIFI. We are looking into additional options to more alleviate the frustrations associated with these charges and better accommodate our guest needs.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A very nice hotel. The building is historic and neat. The rooms are clean and comfortable. I am going to go to my new and approved rating system and give this spot a 3.25 star. Next to shopping bars restaurants

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.
Harpenden, Herts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Noisy air conditioning, shower designed for midgets, meagre breakfast in room (no dining option), and the failure of the paid-for wifi system in the room all add up to a pretty disappointing experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeenshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed here for two nights after leaving Yellowstone and on our way to Monument Valley. This proved to be a good move, having read some positive reviews here, and the hotel is also a top choice listed in the Lonely Planet Guide to the USA. We were not disappointed. the staff were friendly and courteous on check-in, and extremely knowledgeable about the area when we wanted to know about the best restaurants/bars/ sights for our short stay. The hotel itself is beautiful with an old world charm. The foyer makes a statement with its impressive staircase, antique furniture, chandeliers and fireplaces. It was pleasant to find a water cooler placed there which was regularly topped up and filled with lemon slices-very refreshing.

We were told we would be in one of the larger standard rooms, which was all that was available on check-in, however, there wasn't a great deal of room and the bed was so large that the door to the room almost hits the bed when you open it. Don't let this put you off however, as this is one of the biggest and most comfortable beds we have ever slept in, and we were very reluctant to leave it!

Breakfast can be ordered before midnight to be delivered to your room in the morning. They call this their 'Silver Tray Service' which sounds very grand but is in fact quite ordinary and not really worth the money.

The hotel is very well located for all amenities and it is fun to walk around town looking at the spectacular Mormon temples and churches. There is an awesome view of the mountains at the end of what seems like every street that you look down and it is only a short drive to the Great Salt Lake which is a must-see and very hard to describe, just go!

We had a fantastic night in nearby Gracie's Bar where there was live music and a brilliant atmosphere, and the food was amazing both nights we were there-Mexican at The Red Iguana, and Japanese at Benihana. All in all, a fab stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Peery Hotel? Share your experiences!