“It's ok” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 74 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Denver, Colorado
“It's ok”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

It was recommended by my boss a "cute boutique hotel". Pros - It was "cute", had historical significance, the staff was friendly and was centrally located. Cons - LOUD expect to hear all your neightbors conversations, bathroom fans and apparently there was a buffalo in the room above me that literally stomped back and forth across their room from 9 until 11:30pm. The hardest bed I've slept on in a long time. I tossed and turned all night, it was miserable. The hotel seems clean and my room was clean but this is NOT a 4 star and a couldnt decide if its a 2 or a 3 but then the little things like no coffee in the rooms, the peeling wall paper and the ripped comforter cover edges made me have to only rate it as a two. It's cute but I would rather stop in take a tour and a few pics and then move on to a place where I not ave to listen to neighbors phone calls and the buffalo roaming all night.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I really enjoyed the old time peery hotel. It is a place that is meant for the person who likes the historic feel of a building with the modern day luxury bed. Our internet did not work but we made due. The front desk customer service people were awesome. We learned on Sudays you can park in the front free but it was a bit late as we had already paid out the parking fees. I only wish parking was included in the price. It may be something for the hotel to think about. If they added 10.00 to the bill it would save the patrons from having to mess with the computer ticket machine located int eh parking lot. It woudl be nicer to just have a Perry hotel permit. Other than that thanks so much for your hospitality...

Room Tip: You will want to get a suite if you like space otherwise the rooms are a bit cramped. Also if you ar...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Boise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

A beautiful, old hotel downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. The Peery has an elegant lobby reminiscent of another era. The rooms are small, but very comfortable and clean. Opt for a suite and you have a sitting area. It is in a great location with many restaurants and lounges within easy walking distance. The staff is very helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

To be honest my husband liked this hotel more than I did. He loved the old world charm of the decor and history of the building. For me the room was ok but the poor drainage in the shower wasn't great. The position of the hotel was excellent.

I found a couple of the staff did not manage to keep their happy faces on long enough....

In 4 weeks touring the USA & Canada this was the only hotel we stayed in where wifi wasn't free.

We enjoyed a beer and snack at the Brewery over the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The lobby is pretty. The building is nice. The rooms - at first I thought 20's - 30's - so historic. That quickly became old. The sinks - don't even slightly lean on them - they are not connected. The shower - didn't drain. I don't mean drained slowly, I mean didn't drain.
The bedcover had a deep blood stain on it. I told the front desk - they just sent another coverlet to cover it.
One pillow had blood stains as well.
I gave up.
The room had two large walk in windows that went out onto a roof top - easy to break in. I didn't feel all that safe.
It was next to the noisy elevator it turns out. (The back of the room).
The business center had a computer which was slow or froze.
I was very uncomfortable here - just a forlorn vibe.
Room and bathroom were large. Bathroom was an 8" step up - not so good in the middle of the night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

we stayed for one night in mid august. Our reservation was made 6 (SIX) month in advance for two double rooms. When we arrived at the hotel the girl at the reception simply said that they "OVERSOLD" double rooms and that one of ours was unavailable!!! She said that the only solution was to give us two single rooms (we were travelling with small kids and this solution was unacceptable for us). I immediately asked to talk with the manager and a person showed up. He (finally!) said that it was their mistake and proposed to give us a single room with a sofa bed. We accepted this option but we also asked to get free internet and parking as a compensation for the inconvenience. The guy said it was no problem. The day after, when we checked out, we found a 24 dollars charge for the parking on our bill!!! A different person at the front desk said he did not have the authorization to cancel that amount and he did not want to call the manager because it was saturday! When I started complaining he said that I was yelling and that he would have called the police. I never had such a bad experience in a hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
St. George, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

In short: tiny rooms, thin walls, poor service, no free parking, TV didn't even work. The bed was VERY comfortable but that's the only thing our room had going for it.

I'm writing this review because I hope future residents will be smart enough to read through the reviews and not endure the same poor and disappointing experience as my wife and I.

We are both extremely fond of staying at hotels. This hotel looks beautiful on their website. We are Marriot people and thought we'd give the Peery Hotel a chance because it's looks so nice from the outside and has great rates.

My advice: DO NOT get a regular room (king or queen), go with the Suite because even they are small. The king was TINY. We could not believe how small it was. Like other reviews pointed out, the one and only sink/mirror is in the room then there's a small toilet room that also contains the small shower.

I now realize that this hotel is more like a historical monument or whatever so go to it with that in mind. If you're into the old school, small, rikity, thin wall stuff, that's cool. We felt a little uncomfortable being able to hear everything going on in the room next to us because all the walls are so thin.

I complain about the service because when we first checked in the lady at the front desk had her dinner on a plate sitting out on the desk for all to see and she wasn't very nice. We called the desk to check out the issue with the TV and they were unable to get it working (the TV's are like a hundred years old, maybe older). It would have been nice if they had discounted our check or moved us to another room because of that but all they said was, "We'll make sure to get that fixed." Yay? Glad your future guests will be satisfied.

And, there was the most annoying fly in our room the entire night. Not sure if the hotel is to blame but it just added to the frustration/disappointment.

The real problem is that we had our hopes up. If you're reading these reviews, you can brace yourself for a sub-par experience. The lobby is cool and it has a nice feel to it and the beds really are from heaven. Just don't expect to be blown away in AWE. For 20ish more dollars you can stay at a Marriot down the street and you shouldn't be disappointed there.

We don't normally complain. This is my first TripAdvisor review but I did want to contribute to the warnings of this old, small, hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Peery Hotel? Share your experiences!