“Served its purpose” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Roma, Australia
“Served its purpose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed in SLC for less than 24 hours and needed a bed to sleep in. Arrived early in the morning (6am) and rooms were not available at that time. Bit of a shame due to a lengthy night of travelling on the road. Got into the room at about 11:30am and pretty much slept until early the following morning. Beds were fairly comfortable. However, the location is a bit misleading. Although it is close to the main attractions downtown, I would try to stay over on the other side of the bridge. The area around the hotel seemed a bit dodgy. The staff were very friendly towards us; they all seemed to love Australians! I wouldn't book this place again if I stayed in SLC. The hotel served its purpose of a bed to sleep in. That's about it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Pocatello, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

All of the poor ratings below me are spot on! This is the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at, and I travel a lot. When we first checked in, the girl at the front desk obviously hated her job and was rude and spoke very short. A half hour before checkout, housekeeping came, pounded on the door, and walked right in. My husband was in his underwear!! The worst thing that happened during our stay was MY WEDDING RING WAS STOLEN OUT OF OUR ROOM. Obviously they were eager to get in so we were in a hurry to leave (makes me wonder if this is a tactic to make guests forget belongings so they can steal them). Not even 10 minutes after we had left (not checked out...left) I called the hotel to tell them that my wedding ring was in the bathroom and that I would be returning shortly to get it. We were literally just a few blocks down the road. Upon returning, of course the ring was missing. Suspiciously the room had already been cleaned and everything gone. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. THEY WILL STEAL YOUR BELONGINGS. Management is a nightmare to deal with. They will not give you contact information for a corporate office or owner. When I requested the number for a franchise owner, the general manager said that he would leave him a message but he can guarantee he wont call me back. Nice customer service!! Very unprofessional all the way around. Don't let managements "kind" responses to these reviews fool you! They have no intention to fix any problems that arise. Don't risk it, stay somewhere else. Seriously!! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Mrs. Good

Thank you for taking the time to express your views about the recent stay at the Econolodge. It's tragic that your wedding ring was lost during your stay. I assure you that we made every effort to search and question all party's involved. I understand how important my wedding ring is and it breaks my heart that it was lost while in SLC. We do appreciate the feedback concerning the customer service that was provided to you. We are working hard at eliminating poor service for all customers. We thank you for your feedback and wish you and your husband best of luck.
Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed for one night at this Salt Lake City Econo Lodge motel while driving through Utah on I-15 in August 2013. The internet wifi mostly didn't work the whole time we were there. The staff were nice and friendly though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

The neighbourhood is shady. There were a lot of strung out people. Scary location. The service was alright. Went 2 my room that was between people that I think lived there. Which is fine, but they looked hard. Went 2 check the room and the light wouldn't turn on. I walked in 2 turn the bed side lamp 2 c 2 bugs on the night stand. I left. I went down the road 2 find a nicer hotel 4 cheaper. 2 minutes away from the airport. Definitely no bugs or strung out people. Bad impression of salt lake city.

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Let me just say that as a former struggling grad student, I've stayed at my share of "value" hotels/motels, so I'm not inclined to be fussy, but I just can't let some things pass this time.

First, value. Apparently there was some event in town (later found out Glenn Beck was having some big nut job rally in SLC that weekend) so all the hotels jacked their prices way up - what I am about to describe set me back $130 for one night.

First, the positive - the clerk attending at check in was pleasant and professional, and our room had a remodeled bathroom.

The only thing is that the rest of the room needed the same treatment. AC barely worked, room never got very cold. Stains (I didn't check closely because I really didn't want to know) on the chair, the walls ; carpet was threadbare and worn through in places.

The bed was of the cheapest quality - sagged in the middle, no support, a few measly flat pillows for a king size - it looked (and felt) like the hotel beds I used to sleep on in the 70s and early 80s when my parents and I traveled: for all I know it was. No obvious stains on sheets (thank goodness) but I woke up with a sore back and having slept very little.

And then there was the odor - smell was unidentifiable, but not pleasant. Kind of like stale sweat - everything needed a good cleaning and a good airing.

As others pointed out, they need to do a better job of keeping the vagrants away. Headed to brunch, one was loitering: even in broad daylight it was uncomfortable.

If by chance you do find yourself staying there, do yourself the kindness of heading across the street to the red iguana restaurant - it may help you forget how much you've been ripped off value wise by your hotel. As for me, if I ever find myself staying in SLC again, I will be going somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013
Kuna, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

First off there was no telephone book in the room and I called the front office to ask about it and they said they did not have one, not even in the office. Got up in the morning to get a shower and there was no hot or warm water the water was all cold. Walked out of office and a homeless drugged out person asked me to buy him a meal right outside the office and no one told him to leave the property.Reserved the room for two nights but did not stay the second night, I spent $20.00 more and got a much nicer room at another Hotel. Yes value was good but I guess you get what you pay for. Avoid this place if you can!!!!!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Port Augusta, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Econo Lodge was exceptional value for money in Salt Lake City. $48 for 2 people, inlcuding breakfast, super close to the airport and downtown, but on the grittier side of the tracks, which is great because Salt Lake is a little too clean and tidy. Also a bonus is that it is directly opposite one of the best Mexican restaurants I ve ever been to, Red Iguana. be prepared to wait for 30 mins, but it s worth it. The hotel feels 'divey' but rooms are clean, and have coffee, there is a small, hot pool, but for value, this was exceptional, especially as we missed the complimentary breakfast and the guy at reception just went ahead and gave us 2 bagels, 2 muffins, 2 yoghurts and 2 coffees to go. Really great service there - thanks again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge Downtown? Share your experiences!