“Internet wifi was poor” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Hawaii
“Internet wifi was poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed for one night at this Salt Lake City Econo Lodge motel while driving through Utah on I-15 in August 2013. The internet wifi mostly didn't work the whole time we were there. The staff were nice and friendly though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

The neighbourhood is shady. There were a lot of strung out people. Scary location. The service was alright. Went 2 my room that was between people that I think lived there. Which is fine, but they looked hard. Went 2 check the room and the light wouldn't turn on. I walked in 2 turn the bed side lamp 2 c 2 bugs on the night stand. I left. I went down the road 2 find a nicer hotel 4 cheaper. 2 minutes away from the airport. Definitely no bugs or strung out people. Bad impression of salt lake city.

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Let me just say that as a former struggling grad student, I've stayed at my share of "value" hotels/motels, so I'm not inclined to be fussy, but I just can't let some things pass this time.

First, value. Apparently there was some event in town (later found out Glenn Beck was having some big nut job rally in SLC that weekend) so all the hotels jacked their prices way up - what I am about to describe set me back $130 for one night.

First, the positive - the clerk attending at check in was pleasant and professional, and our room had a remodeled bathroom.

The only thing is that the rest of the room needed the same treatment. AC barely worked, room never got very cold. Stains (I didn't check closely because I really didn't want to know) on the chair, the walls ; carpet was threadbare and worn through in places.

The bed was of the cheapest quality - sagged in the middle, no support, a few measly flat pillows for a king size - it looked (and felt) like the hotel beds I used to sleep on in the 70s and early 80s when my parents and I traveled: for all I know it was. No obvious stains on sheets (thank goodness) but I woke up with a sore back and having slept very little.

And then there was the odor - smell was unidentifiable, but not pleasant. Kind of like stale sweat - everything needed a good cleaning and a good airing.

As others pointed out, they need to do a better job of keeping the vagrants away. Headed to brunch, one was loitering: even in broad daylight it was uncomfortable.

If by chance you do find yourself staying there, do yourself the kindness of heading across the street to the red iguana restaurant - it may help you forget how much you've been ripped off value wise by your hotel. As for me, if I ever find myself staying in SLC again, I will be going somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013
Kuna, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

First off there was no telephone book in the room and I called the front office to ask about it and they said they did not have one, not even in the office. Got up in the morning to get a shower and there was no hot or warm water the water was all cold. Walked out of office and a homeless drugged out person asked me to buy him a meal right outside the office and no one told him to leave the property.Reserved the room for two nights but did not stay the second night, I spent $20.00 more and got a much nicer room at another Hotel. Yes value was good but I guess you get what you pay for. Avoid this place if you can!!!!!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Port Augusta, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Econo Lodge was exceptional value for money in Salt Lake City. $48 for 2 people, inlcuding breakfast, super close to the airport and downtown, but on the grittier side of the tracks, which is great because Salt Lake is a little too clean and tidy. Also a bonus is that it is directly opposite one of the best Mexican restaurants I ve ever been to, Red Iguana. be prepared to wait for 30 mins, but it s worth it. The hotel feels 'divey' but rooms are clean, and have coffee, there is a small, hot pool, but for value, this was exceptional, especially as we missed the complimentary breakfast and the guy at reception just went ahead and gave us 2 bagels, 2 muffins, 2 yoghurts and 2 coffees to go. Really great service there - thanks again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Springdale, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

The location on a map was great but the hotel was located in a very rough part of town. Lots of homeless and obviously drugged out people were on the street. Some of them even made use of the free breakfast at the hotel. The room had ants but we were too tired to change rooms. The beds were fine and the room appeared clean-ish but apparently something brought the ants in. Overall, we would never stay in that part of town again. We didn't feel safe the entire time we were there.

• Stayed July 2013
Farmington, NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Looked up this hotel on a popular reservation site and booked it while in SLC with family based on past experiences with the same brand. Wish I had stayed at another similarly priced but normally lower quality hotel hotel instead.

The person who checked me in was nice, but that was the extent of the service I got.

The beds seemed fine but we were so tired we passed out for 12+ hours anyway. Can't comment on the night noise or anything else.

The room door looked like it had been beaten down with a crowbar then painted over.
The non smoking room smelled strongly of smoke.
The chairs were coming apart and unsafe to sit on.
The bathroom was not cleaned and I had to clean it myself.
The TV did not work.
The internet did not work.
The hot water ran out after a short shower.
The ice machine room was filthy.
Homeless people were cashing in on the free breakfast.
The staff, especially in the morning, really looked like they wanted to be somewhere else. No morale at all.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Downtown? Share your experiences!