“Quirky” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
Carlton Hotel
Save Saved
You added Carlton Hotel to your Saves list
140 East South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84111   |
Ranked #29 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reno, Nevada
“Quirky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was torn on the rating. I think for the very reasonable price, the place has a lot to offer. An included cook-to-order breakfast was a nice break from the standard "free" breakfast at chains. I discovered that I could order off menu as well; a very agreeable kitchen. Comparing the hotel to European hotel seems accurate. My "view" was a very narrow alley and a very close apartment building from whence I heard loud x-rated sounds at one point in the evening, followed by another angry tenant yelling obscenities at the woman clearly enjoying herself. It cracked me up, but I realize I'm pretty open-minded.

It's great that they have free-parking, given that it's downtown and parking is at a premium. However, it's a tricky parking situation, down the narrow alley, into a tiny underground parking area that fills up and/or is locked at a certain time. You can always find someone to unlock it, though the first time this happened, no one was answering at the front desk and I found myself trying to back up the alley to escape. When the underground parking is full, they'll guide you to another offbeat/alley/sort of place to park.

The hotel has the old, musty feel to it that a very old hotel is likely to have. Offbeat floor plan, with various stairways leading to doors, not connecting to the next stairway. It all tickled me, but you have to be the kind of person who likes this kind of thing.

Staff have been there for ages and are all nice and helpful, quickly responding to any of my questions/requests. Wifi worked fine. The location is wonderful, walking distance to all of downtown.

If you are most comfortable in pristine, predictable chain hotels, this may not be the place for you (you would probably rate the hotel as a 3). If you like the unusual, places with a distinct history, give the Carlton a try!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I really liked this hotel when I stayed last year, so I selected it again for this trip to Salt Lake City and I'm glad I did. This year, I upgraded to a suite which had 2 separate bedrooms, a larger bathroom, and a small wet-bar area with a mini refrigerator/freezer and microwave. The same wonderful, friendly, genuine staff work there as during my visit a year ago.

If you are seeking a budget hotel that is close to the City Creek Mall, the Temple area, or the Salt Palace, this is a great choice. There is a grocery store on the same block and the hotel provides transportation to and from the airport. They also provide transportation to the library for those doing family history research.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I spent four days in Salt Lake City, Utah, in late May, at the Mormon Church’s Family History Library, doing research on my family tree. While there, I stayed at the Carlton Hotel, which is within walking distance of the library, the Mormon Church campus, and a new shopping/restaurant development.

The Carlton is a small, older facility that has character – definitely not a cookie-cutter modern hotel. It offers free Wi-Fi, cooked-to-order breakfast, and shuttle service to/from the airport (and to/from the Family History Library). The staff is universally friendly.

It’s an inviting place, and I’ll stay there again if I return for more research.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The best recommendation I can make is by giving the Carlton my repeat business for more than a dozen years! The stable staff makes returning to the Carlton like going home and seeing old friends. My group of friends stay here each March and enjoy a hearty breakfast before stopping at nearby Utah Ski for discount lift tickets and then driving to one of several world class ski areas about an hour away.
A variety of room configurations are available to accommodate couples, roommates, or singles. The indoor hot tub is a meeting place to sooth tired muscles and to make dinner plans at one of the many nearby restaurants, Salt Lake has become a great restaurant town since hoting the Olympics. A house computer is available for checking email or making plane reservations .. printer attached. Parking in the basement is tricky for smaller vehicles with supplemental parking for overflow and larger SUV's outside. A van is available for airport pick up (20 minutes away) and for regular runs to the Genealogy center. I suggest checking to see if rooms have AC during hot days. Old fashioned iron radiators provide heat in winter. Also, the rooms have no mountain views ... not important to our group because we only shower, sleep and eat breakfast at this small homey hotel. We get our fill of fabulous mountain scenery on the slopes. I love the Carlton and all the staff!

Room Tip: Consult with the desk to find a room to meet your specific needs. Weekly rates available.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

What a great find! Like many affordable hotels on Europe, it is small, clean, and efficient. Narrow stairways and whitewashed walls and the more economical rooms have no view. Perfect! I'm here in SLC to visit the city, not hang out in the room! The location is one block from the square, next to the Alta Club. Breakfast is included -- made to order, sit down waitress service on real plates. Breakfast is open for folks not staying at hotel too.
This is my go to place in SLC!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Wisbech, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I'm very late with this review but we stayed here last May 2013. We were a party of four, myself and my husband, sister in law and cousin. We stayed first for 2 nights and then returned another night. We had a very nice little suite , 2 bedrooms, a kitchen with eating area and bathroom. We asked for an additional put -up bed for my cousin as she didn't want to share and this was brought up with no bother, they even remembered it when we returned.

The breakfast( waitress served) was good and the location good. We ate in the evening at The Bee hive close by.
The price was really reasonable and we were very pleased with everything.
A simple hotel , no fancy trimmings or services but if you want a good base I'd definately stay again

Room Tip: Ask for one with a kichen if available
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Council, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

The hotel was clean we enjoyed cooked to order breakfast each day with the room. Great Dalit rate even better weekly rate. They have a van and driver to take you back and forth every day to the research library. Everyone was friendly and helpful . Only draw back was their free wifi didn't work. I was never able to use my computer at the hotel others had the same problem. Walking distance to just about anywhere you wanted to go. Rooms had refrigerators and microwaves, coffee pot and toaster. Large TV. Room enough for the 3 of us who shared a room

Room Tip: Best rate is the weekly rate
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!