“Inviting hotel near Family History Library in Salt Lake City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
Carlton Hotel
You added Carlton Hotel to your Saves list
140 East South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84111   |
Ranked #34 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Fort Worth, Texas
“Inviting hotel near Family History Library in Salt Lake City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I spent four days in Salt Lake City, Utah, in late May, at the Mormon Church’s Family History Library, doing research on my family tree. While there, I stayed at the Carlton Hotel, which is within walking distance of the library, the Mormon Church campus, and a new shopping/restaurant development.

The Carlton is a small, older facility that has character – definitely not a cookie-cutter modern hotel. It offers free Wi-Fi, cooked-to-order breakfast, and shuttle service to/from the airport (and to/from the Family History Library). The staff is universally friendly.

It’s an inviting place, and I’ll stay there again if I return for more research.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The best recommendation I can make is by giving the Carlton my repeat business for more than a dozen years! The stable staff makes returning to the Carlton like going home and seeing old friends. My group of friends stay here each March and enjoy a hearty breakfast before stopping at nearby Utah Ski for discount lift tickets and then driving to one of several world class ski areas about an hour away.
A variety of room configurations are available to accommodate couples, roommates, or singles. The indoor hot tub is a meeting place to sooth tired muscles and to make dinner plans at one of the many nearby restaurants, Salt Lake has become a great restaurant town since hoting the Olympics. A house computer is available for checking email or making plane reservations .. printer attached. Parking in the basement is tricky for smaller vehicles with supplemental parking for overflow and larger SUV's outside. A van is available for airport pick up (20 minutes away) and for regular runs to the Genealogy center. I suggest checking to see if rooms have AC during hot days. Old fashioned iron radiators provide heat in winter. Also, the rooms have no mountain views ... not important to our group because we only shower, sleep and eat breakfast at this small homey hotel. We get our fill of fabulous mountain scenery on the slopes. I love the Carlton and all the staff!

Room Tip: Consult with the desk to find a room to meet your specific needs. Weekly rates available.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

What a great find! Like many affordable hotels on Europe, it is small, clean, and efficient. Narrow stairways and whitewashed walls and the more economical rooms have no view. Perfect! I'm here in SLC to visit the city, not hang out in the room! The location is one block from the square, next to the Alta Club. Breakfast is included -- made to order, sit down waitress service on real plates. Breakfast is open for folks not staying at hotel too.
This is my go to place in SLC!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Wisbech, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I'm very late with this review but we stayed here last May 2013. We were a party of four, myself and my husband, sister in law and cousin. We stayed first for 2 nights and then returned another night. We had a very nice little suite , 2 bedrooms, a kitchen with eating area and bathroom. We asked for an additional put -up bed for my cousin as she didn't want to share and this was brought up with no bother, they even remembered it when we returned.

The breakfast( waitress served) was good and the location good. We ate in the evening at The Bee hive close by.
The price was really reasonable and we were very pleased with everything.
A simple hotel , no fancy trimmings or services but if you want a good base I'd definately stay again

Room Tip: Ask for one with a kichen if available
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Council, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

The hotel was clean we enjoyed cooked to order breakfast each day with the room. Great Dalit rate even better weekly rate. They have a van and driver to take you back and forth every day to the research library. Everyone was friendly and helpful . Only draw back was their free wifi didn't work. I was never able to use my computer at the hotel others had the same problem. Walking distance to just about anywhere you wanted to go. Rooms had refrigerators and microwaves, coffee pot and toaster. Large TV. Room enough for the 3 of us who shared a room

Room Tip: Best rate is the weekly rate
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We originally found this hotel through a local guide published by the VA hospital in Salt Lake City. We decided to book a reservation after viewing the reviews here on tripadvisor. We can't be more pleased. As I am writing this review, I am sitting in our room utilizing the free wifi service. This hotel was built in the 1920s and has been beautifully maintained. Nothing fancy but the rooms are clean and comfortable with a homey feel. For about $80, we were given a large room with two double beds, a dresser, two night stands, a desk, a dining table with 4 chairs, a large TV, bathroom with tub/shower combo, and a kitchenette. There is a fitness center with a couple of machines, a sauna, and hot tub. Blow dryers are available at the front desk for the asking. The breakfast was amazing! Several selections on the menu, all cooked to order and included with your room! The only suggestion I would make (for a truly European treat) is to have feather beds on top of the mattresses as the beds are a little hard.
We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Suffolk VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Carlton is a well maintained older property on East South Temple within walking distance of the LDS Library. The rooms are large and clean, more spacious than in expensive newer hotels, and with kitchen facilities to boot. But the real treat is the personal service: pick-up and return to the airport, transport to and from the LDS Library if you want it (but it is only a seven-minute walk), fabulous cooked-to-order breakfasts, and friendly help at the desk with whatever you need. I have now stayed there on multiple trips to Salt Lake City and have yet to find any reason to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Suites are available if desired.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!