“Good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
Carlton Hotel
140 East South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84111   |
Ranked #27 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Melbourne
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Dated and is a bit shabby but it was clean well located and very helpful staff. The suite we had was huge with good kitchen facilities. It is just around corner from great supermarket Harmons so ideal for self catering.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear are noisy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband spent the weekend here and loved it. We went to Salt Lake City to go to the LDS Conf. We wanted somewhere near the temple and conf. center. We did not know anything about the hotel before we arrived. We were picked up at the air port and helped to our room. We had asked for a room, we got a suite, which was wonderful. It was more like being at home. We had a TV in the bedroom and one in the living room, a nice kitchenete. A large bathroom with a nice tub and walk-in shower. All were very clean. There were extra blanklets and pillows.

We had a very nice breakfast, made to order and good. Everyone there was very helpful and nice. The price was also very good.

I am hard to please when it comes to hotels and I can say that I would there there again, We felt at home.

Anyone going to Salt Lake City and wanting to be near downtown and the LDS Temple and other buildings for a good price should think about staying at the Carlton Hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

It may be dated and a a bit shabby but Everything is within walking distance in downtown SLC. They even provide a free shuttle to the airport plus daily trips to/from the genealogical library for older folks that have difficulty walking. I stayed as a single but had 2 full bedrooms plus a kitchenette with fridge, toaster, sink, coffee maker, china and silverware. Service at the front desk was excellent, very helpful. The other side of being center city was a bust street car wise all night. I ran the fan on low to cover it and that was that. If you don't get hot water after running it for 5 minutes call the front desk and they will have someone kick start the water heater for you. Oh and a made to order breakfast is included. Overall good marks despite the older/bit shabby appearance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I checked in here and had an awful experience. After getting my clothes away, I arranged my
school stuff over to one side. My husband left, and when he did, I noticed the desk clerk paying
a lot of attention to my goings and coming. At first I thought, How Nice, but later it got on my
nerves. My first floor room faced the wall, but I like the convenience of quick getting in and out.
Also the idea of an eating place downstairs. Next day I asked where the nearest ATM was? No
people at desk, just the clerk. He told me, and after locking my room and shutting my drawers,
I left. Oh yeah, I made up the bed. It was after dinner. I came back and noticed right away, that
my bed was totally rumpled up and look like someone searched and tried to put back. My drawers were all shut hodgepodge and my underwear was messed up (I'd left it folded).

I called my husband, but he had left to go home back East.
I went called the Clerk-- it was 10 pm by now. I said that it was obvious SOMEONE had been
in here and I wanted Security. He said Security was asleep and he wasn't going to wake him up.
I said, WHAT? I've had a breakin. He said, Was anything taken? I said, NO. I don't keep anything of value in my room and NO MONEY OR DRUGS. He shrugged and started to walk
away! I said, Aren't you going to call the police? He said, NO. You can, but I won't back you
up, because there was no one here but me. And he walked away.
My first day at school, a Fri, was the next day. I still had tons of stuff in boxes, I was going to
store in a storage bin somewhere. I was beside myself. I pulled off the sheets, since I knew
someone had touched them (and God knows what else) and tried to sleep, figuring I'd fix
things somehow the next night.

Couldn't sleep and around midnight, called the old Hilton now a Sheraton on 500 South.
Jeff the night auditor remembered me, since I stayed there two weeks before moving to this
dump. I burst into tears and he said, What's wrong? Are you hurt? I said, No and blurted
out the whole story. Right away he said the Clerk was just too odd and wrong not to call.

Then Jeff said, "You come back here, if you can, and we'll find you a room for a couple weeks, till you can find something decent." I did and tipped a cabbie to help with luggage and boxes.
The students at school were horrified and didn't blame me. Fortunately, I had enough money
to do that. I eventually moved across into the old Travelodge above the office. I told them
the Story and said I wouldn't have any trouble there, and if I did, to just call them and they'd call the police, no problem.

If the old Hilton now a Sheraton kept Jeff and the old Staff, they were SMART, and should
be proud of them. Just as I left and told the Front Desk what a jerk he was and I was canceling my 6 mo stay and he better not charge me, I heard him mumble to another buddy, that he
had had an "incident" with me, and was glad I didn't call the police, as he had personally
"checked" my room for drugs!! wow. I was so disgusted, I just walked out. Didn't get settled
in my new room till 11:30 pm, but didn't care. I was so happy to feel 'safe.'

No, don't let the building "charm" fool you. The Staff sucks and is not reliable. REALLY.
This happened a few years ago, and I don't want to say when. The point is it was AWFUL. I
put the oldest date I could, but it was before that. Again, plenty of other places more secur
and more safe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Carlton-SLC, Manager at Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
I hope people who read this review have a good laugh and then read our other reviews. At the bottom of every review TripAdvisor states "this review is the SUBJECTIVE OPINION of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC".
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I booked this after reading a variety of reviews and I agree with other reviewers that this is a good price in an excellent location. I had various email communications in advance which were always responded to promptly and informatively. I queried the included cooked-to-order breakfast as one reviewer had suggested that only a continental breakfast is provided but I think he must have been at a different hotel. Bathrooms etc are upgraded and the only criticism I would have is that the carpets would benefit from good clean as they look a little grubby and/or stained. Everything else is clean and very comfortable. There are very reasonably priced laundry facilities and free coffee in the foyer. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We chose this hotel primarily because it is located in downtown Salt Lake City and we were able to park our car in the hotel's attached parking garage and walk everywhere we wanted to go. Our room was huge and had a complete kitchenette including a small refrigerator, freezer, sink, toaster, coffee pot and plates and cutlery. The hotel provides a complimentary hot breakfast cooked to order. The front desk person was friendly and helpful with directions.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Park City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We read many reviews and were excited to stay at the Carlton. We were attending a concert and it was within walking distance. The people at the front desk were very friendly. They also offered us umbrellas as it started raining when we went to leave for the concert. The hotel appeared to be very empty. We were given a room on the first floor with a view of the parking garage : ( It did have a kitchenette with a broken fridge. The bed was lumpy, but the room was very clean. We were disappointed in the morning to find out they were only have "continental" breakfast. Really it was cold cereal, juice, toast and an apple or orange. We were the only ones in the dining room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!