“Beautiful mansion, but ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn on the Hill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
Inn on the Hill
225 North State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84103 (Formerly Inn on Capitol Hill)   |
Special Price
$10 off room rate
Ranked #1 of 12 Salt Lake City B&B and Inns
Colorado
“Beautiful mansion, but ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Pros:
Beautifully restored Renaissance Revival mansion on Capitol Hill, with personable and helpful staff. Clean, lovely rooms, comfy beds, with nice touches such as guest snack centers (water, soda, chips and crackers), air conditioning in all the rooms, bathrobes, whirlpool tubs, Aveda toiletries. Beautiful garden, great fountain! And of course, walking distance to downtown.

Cons:
Be aware that N. State Street, although only 2 lanes running through a residential neighborhood, is actually a major artery for traffic going north. And, it has no stop signs, so cars really zoom up that hill, beginning about 6AM and going all day until maybe 9 or 10 at night. My room happened to have windows on N. State, and coupled with the ventilation fan for the mansion's air conditioning system right outside one of my windows (the fan was so powerful that the tree outside that window was always shaking, even though there was no wind), made for a noisy night. So I suppose it was just as well that none of the NINE (!) windows in the bedroom opened (bad news for people who like a bit of fresh air now and then). Also, although it's a luxurious touch to have towels and bed linen changed everyday -- it would have been nice, from an environmental point of view, to have had the option NOT to do so.

Breakfast:
Unlike other reviewers, I thought the breakfast pretty mediocre especially given the fact that the inn is a luxury inn. Apparently because we were a vegetarian crowd, the breakfast the first day was plain scrambled eggs and toast, with some fresh fruit thrown in on the side. So for the second morning, I thought, forget the "cooked" breakfast and go for the continental (and I think the other couple must have thought the same of the cooked breakfast, because they also signed up for the continental). The continental turned out to be the same fruit selection as the day before, yogurt, pretty bland granola of some sort, and small pre-packaged danishes. I expected the breakfast to be up to the standards of the bed part of the "bed and breakfast," and quite frankly, I had a better breakfast at a Hampton Inn last month. I have worked as an innkeeper, and we always made homemade muffins or quick breads for our guests because it took minimal effort and was always appreciated. I think this inn needs to put a bit more effort into their breakfasts -- I mean, pre-packaged danishes??? That's tackiness unworthy of the inn.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Very comfortable, beautiful B&B in a fantastic location -- on Salt Lake's Capitol Hill one block below the capitol building and two blocks from Temple Square. Booked one night in the two-story Carriage House with my wife and two teenagers, and we loved it so much we added a second night (the Carriage House was booked the second night, but the staff worked with us and gave us the Bryce Canyon and Kodachrome rooms for the same price). Breakfast was fantastic, and the staff is as welcoming and friendly as can be. A gorgeous, landmark structure with recently renovated rooms and extremely comfortable beds (the pull-out sofa in the Carriage House included). We'll be making the 11-hour drive back to Salt Lake just for this place, if nothing else.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

After staying in chain hotels for the past few days on a business trip, I was thrilled with the welcoming, relaxing atmosphere of the Inn on the Hill. Location is perfect, good parking, quiet room with a jet tub, wireless internet, great coffee and a delicious breakfast. I wish I came to SLC more often so I could stay there again. This is one of the best all-around B&Bs I have stayed in!

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
St George
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

We loved our stay at the Inn on the Hill. It is the former home of a wealthy doctor/businessman built in the very early 1900's. The rooms are nice, the staff is attentive and the breakfast is very good. We will return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Palisade
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

My husband I own our own little B&B and wanted to get some R&R. We found the perfect place in Salt Lake. The Inn on the Hill, a beautiful restored Victorian , much larger than ours, but still has all the charm and warmth of ours. Our room had a great balcony overlooking downtown. The bed was so cozy it was hard to leave!(not to mention the view!) We treated ourselves to the Romance package, and what a treat. We arrived back from a wonderful dinner at Christopher's (great service) to find our room a glow with candle light and the most beautiful music playing. In the morning, breakfast was served in bed, a treat I haven't had since we started our own B&B! Since we are football fans, we relaxed in the game room watching the game and played some pool. The staff was so personable and helpful and there are treats located everywhere in the B&B. This is a must place to stay when in Salt Lake, easy to downtown, Gateway Shopping, restaurants and nightlife. There is no need to look for another place in Salt Lake!
I also recommend is the Memory Grove Carriage ride. A beautiful ride and a great way to get some history of the area. We look forward to our next time at the Inn on the Hill!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Price, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed in the Inn for the 2nd time and loved it. It is comfortable, clean, well kept, intimate and the people there are so friendly. The breakfast as yummy and we had a great time. We stayed there 1 night and then decided to splurge and stay at the Grand America 5 star hotel in SLC. We wished that we had just stayed 2 nights at the Inn! The "fancy" hotel was a big disappointment.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
salt lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

My husband and I went for an overnighter for our anniversary and had a great time. the house has been lovingly restored with original floors, hardware, etc. We were checked in by the owner and the staff was esp. friendly. We stayed in the Canyonlands room ($130) and it was plenty roomy and the bathroom was neat, fireplace was very nice, although the tub had no showerhead. Their complimentary items were great.....free waters adn juices and snacks, and they supplied Aveda brand shampoo and toiletries, which was a big plus for me. Breakfast was on time (you sign up for the time slot you'd like to eat) and delicious, and they had homemade muffins and juices. They also had a nice billards room with a flat screen, adn 2 great sitting rooms, with impressive fireplaces. They had an optional romance package for $30 which included lit candles on return from dinner, breakfast in room the next morning and a 2 hour later check out, but we didn't take advantage of it. I thought it was a reasonable price for the service, though. Also had wifi, which was a big plus for the husband. The location was very central to downtown, and their was a great view. The only thing that needs improvement is their website (can't book online, nor are their prices), but other than than, I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn on the Hill? Share your experiences!