“Great food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
west wendover, nv
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

A freind of mine lives acroos the street from Moochies. Every time I am visiting I have noticed that Moochies is busy, sometimes very busy. Starting at 11am the lunchtime crowd shows up, some leave with bags filled with take-out contained suggesting they are bring back luch for other office workers.

So today I have to try the place. I used to visit Philly when I lived in the east coast so I've already been to Gino's and Pat's and have search in vain for a place in SLC that serves a cheesesteak that even comes close. Well, today I found it!

I ordered a cheeessteak sandwich with fried onions. It was awesome. It came with some Jalapeno sauce which is different but very good. I also tried the meatball sandwich and was impressed -- it could have been a little bit spicier but I understand that when serving to the masses you have to tone it down.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Cheesesteak baby!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I lived in Philadelphia during graduate school and when I came back to Utah, I missed the sandwich shops in Philly. Moochie's makes the best meatball sub around and the cheesesteak is better than Pat's, but Geno's is still the best.

Visited September 2012
Sandy, Utah
“Can't beat the Chicken Parm sandwich with Sweet Potato Fries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I eat here probably twice a month at different times of the day and have NEVER been disappointed. Even when the line is out the door they move through the orders quickly. Look for the second order taker around the corner of the counter if you ever get hung up in line.

Admittedly I haven't tried their cheesesteaks and would have nothing to compare to but the bread and the marinara sauce on the chicken parm is wonderful. And their fry sauce with a kick or the Jalapeno dipping sauce pair with the sweet potato fries perfectly. Make the time to stop here when you're in Salt Lake.

The only reason it didn't get an excellent was the limited seating in the winter, they do have overflow seating in the attached building but in the summer you have no worries.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Michigan
“Incredible Meatball sub and Philly Cheese Steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We tried Moochies while passing through Salt Lake City looking to try one of the restaurants there featured on Diners, Drive In's and Dives. What a cute little place that serve huge flavors! My wife and I split a Meatball sub and Philly cheese steak. Both were the best we have ever eaten. Fresh homemade flavor, huge portion and well worth a stop. Very cute place with a cool casual atmosphere.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Memphis, TN
“NOT even close to a philly cheesesteak!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I have been going here for years and sticking to the meatball hero/wedge, etc. b/c we had just come from Philly and back then, we could just look at the sandwich and know we wouldn't like it. We actually were there very early after they opened (like the first week) and it was just the one woman - who claimed to be related to Tony Luke. FYI, Tony Luke's off of I-95 near the stadiums has the best cheesesteaks in phila. Anyway, she was very friendly and she was the only person that worked here. The meatball sandwiches have kept us coming, but they have finally gotten too spicy for me and the wife. Also, now it's a factory (with about 12 kids working behind the counter) and very crowded and you don't see the owner (i don't know if the woman is still the owner or not) and the meatball sands don't come with enough marinara so you have to get extra, which now they charge $1.29 or something to that effect. It's not that i want extra -- you NEED it to make it edible, i.e., balance out the sandwich.

Anyway, I finally tried the steak and i couldn't believe how sad it was. I really thought it was a joke! - literally, I was looking for the candid camera. IT WAS TERRIBLE - McD's could make a better replica of a cheesesteak. It's not even up to a generic restaurant or airport standards. WORTHLESS sums it up. Please look at the pic -- a few bits (nothing close to slices) of beef and it seemed about 2 ounces worth of meat - maybe. I know what you're thinking, but in phila., you don't have to have onions and peppers, etc. for there to be some taste (we ordered them on the side). This had NO TASTE! Especially being a former Philadelphian, I was embarrassed that use the work cheesesteak with the thing I received.

Remember, they're not giving anything away either --- you have pay for enough marinara to be able to eat the meatball sandwich! Anyway, WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T THINK YOU'RE GETTING ANYTHING CLOSE TO A PHILLY CHEESESTEAK, and if you need to go, try the meatball but get extra sauce. It is not fair to ANY of the places in Philly. Sandwiches like this one wouldn't make it ANYWHERE, let alone in Philly.

Lastly, my wife and I have live all around the country and travel a lot. Nowadays, it’s only special if a place HASN’T been on DD&D’s and we’d rather go to the place that hasn’t been. It may be a decent place, but being on the show doesn’t make it a good place or make the food any better. More often than not, the restaurant gives up or focuses on advertising that they’ve been on TV and quality suffers. If you get enough out-of-towners visiting your place, why bother making something decent or giving people their money’s worth? Re: the rating, yes – I would give the meatball (with extra sauce) about 3-4 stars, but the cheesesteak completely cancels that b/c doesn’t warrant any stars!

p.s. If you need something decent and unique in SLC, try any crown burger. They have been around for ever and have great quality and great service. They may even have a cheesesteak -- if they do, it HAS to be decent.

• Visited September 2012