“You'll like your repeat stay at the Plaza Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 West South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #24 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Huntsville, Utah
“You'll like your repeat stay at the Plaza Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We found ourselves at the Plaza Hotel late one evening after a very long work day, with snow in the forecast. We've stayed at the Plaza previously, and are pleased to report that we found the same good things we'd already experienced. The staff, all of them we've seen, are really genuine in their helpfulness and pleasant attitude. They are "the real deal," nothing artificial. Once again we want to remark on the comfort of the bed and the high quality of the bath linens and bedding. It's so nice to have a light-weight quilt that you know will let you sleep at just the right temperature, without a heavy blanket and bedspread.
We didn't expect to get to the downtown mall for Christmas shopping this season, but when you're at the Plaza it's so easy to go across the street that of course we went there. And once again we just walked around the hotel hallway to the adjacent restaurant because it was so easy.
We recommend the Plaza hotel for repeat visitors to Salt Lake City.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Phyllis H,

Thank you for your comments! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your repeat stay with us! That snow storm was a bit crazy, so we're glad we were able to provide you with a comfortable bed and a central location to the city so that you could get your Christmas shopping done! We hope to see you again soon!

349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

My stay here was very positive. The Salt Lake Plaza Hotel has three huge advantages.

First, it's right across the street from Temple Square. This may not seem like a big deal if you have a car, but I visited Salt Lake City in December, and walking around in cold weather at night is not fun. There are other hotels within walking distance from Temple Square, but you can't beat the Plaza. It was a 4-minute walk from my room on the 7th floor to the west entrance of Temple Square (by the Tabernacle).

Second, the hotel is spotlessly clean. As other reviewers have commented, the hotel is not brand new. Except for a few nicks and scratches on the nightstand and desk in my room, you don't really notice and don't care. When I entered my room, it felt like it had been sandblasted clean. Everything was perfect. Modern flat-screen TV, a big desk with electrical outlets in the desk lamp (which I love), and a very strong WiFi signal and fast Internet access. The bed was in the top 10% of hotel beds I've ever slept in. I slept like I was in a coma, and when I rolled out of bed in the morning the bed covers were hardly disturbed because I had slept so peacefully.

Third, with one exception (see below), the Plaza was the most no-hassle hotel I've ever stayed at. The check-in took about 60 seconds, everything in the room was fine, and they had an express checkout that took about 10 seconds. (They slipped a copy of my bill under the door late at night, and if it was okay then you just call the front desk, say the magic word "Express," and leave the key in the room.)

Only a few things I disliked, but none of these was that serious.

First, they added a $1 charge for the room safe. Not a lot of money, but it irritates me when hotels add charges that aren't fully disclosed when you book the reservation, and I don't recall seeing anything about a $1 charge when I booked the room.

Second, the parking lot was... strange. When you arrive, you simply drive in to the parking garage as if you were a regular customer for public parking. You get a ticket and self park. Curiously, it was rather hard to get from the parking garage into the hotel. I had to walk around until I found a stairway on the southwest corner of the structure. Anyway, when you check in, they bill you $5 a night for parking (which is a great deal, actually) and give you a 2nd card with a bar code. When you exit the first time, you insert your original ticket (which the machine keeps) and then you insert the 2nd card (which the machine spits back out to you). But on my next entrance, I took another ticket at the entrance like I did when I originally arrived, and that messed everything up royally, believe me. When I tried to exit the next day, the 2nd card was displayed as invalid and I had to use an intercom to talk to someone to straighten everything out. (However, even this conversation was pleasant, because the man on the intercom was extremely helpful and called me "sir" and fixed the problem immediately.) Bottom line: when you arrive, park yourself and then listen attentively at the front desk when you check in to learn how this system works!

And the garage doubles as a public parking lot. I came home around 9:45pm one evening and was horrified to see a mass of people walking into the parking garage to fetch their cars. I think a performance of something across the street had just ended. The stream of exiting cars was quite awful, and I could barely nose my car through them to the first empty space on an upper level (the traffic flow in the garage is bidirectional on all levels).

But except for these minor gripes, I was very favorably impressed by the Plaza and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have a great view of the LDS convention center and the Utah State Capitol.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear dleifker,

Thank you for your comments. A guest experience like yours is something we strive for; the best service with a friendly smile. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and your room! The beds really are wonderful, aren't they?! I will pass your cleanliness comments along to my director of housekeeping so she can let our staff know to keep up the great work!
It's great you mention your wi-fi signal! We just finished installing all new routers in the hotel, so we've been excited to be able to offer that improved amenity to our guests complimentary!
I'm sorry about the confusion with the parking garage. I will make sure that my staff in explaining it a little clearer so that we don't have any confusion. Also, next time you're here, let us know if you don't use the safe and we will take that fee right off for you, no problem at all!
See you soon!

Greenwood, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Older hotel located across street from Temple Square and right next door to Family History Library. Friendly staff, clean and spacious rooms. Very convenient restaurant located adjacent to lobby. Food is reasonably priced and very good breakfast buffet. Within easy walking distance of all downtown attractions. Parking garage connects directly to hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on north side of building to avoid any noise from light rail in front of hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chuck B,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel. As you pointed out, we are an older hotel, but we've also been working hard this year and plan to continue throughout the next year on our exciting remodel project! Our new rooms are simply beautiful! So if you didn't get to experience one of them this time around, please make sure to book one for your next stay! You won't be disappointed! And it's an excuse for another vacation!

Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a great Thanksgiving weekend in SLC staying at the Salt Lake Plaze Hotel. It is centrally located to Temple Square (right across the street), Abravanel Hall (right across the street), City Creek Shopping Mall (within one block), Salt Lake City Family History Library (next door), LDS Conference Center (one block away), restaurants and so much more. We parked the car in the hotel parking garage ($5.00 a day) and walked everywhere we went. We saw the Christmas lights go on in Temple Square on Friday Nov. 29 (fabulous display of lights), attended a Christmas concert in the Tabernacle within Temple Square on Saturday, attended the Spoken Word in the Conference center on Sunday morning and did a little shopping. It is great to stay at the Plaza and just walk to so many local attractions. There are other attractions also within walking distance just a few blocks away.

The hotel has done some extensive remodeling and is very beautiful. We were in one of the newly done over rooms and the decor is comforting and easy on the eye---no wild wallpaper, etc. The king size bed was very comfortable with a soft fluffy comforter and lots of pillows. The bathroom has great lighting with a nice vanity with storage, hair dryer, tub with shower and thick soft towels. The room has a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, iron & board, desk with chair, small table and chairs for two, king bed, sofa with coffee table and of coarse a dresser with TV. I must add that everything was very clean.

The lobby has a comfortable area to sit along with a TV. There is a gift shop with a wide variety of gifts & necessities---post cards, greeting cards, jewelry, snacks, fresh coffee, etc. Adjacent to the hotel is a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch or dinner---no need to go outside if you don't want to or if the weather is bad.

We were on the 10th floor and could see across the city and mountains---a beautiful view!

Hope this review is helpful. We have stayed here before and always come back the next time we are in SLC. If you choose the Plaza, enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Charlotte N,

Thank you for you comments. We're happy that you made it back to see us and that you enjoyed the upgrades we've been making to our hotel! We are very excited about our new rooms and love hearing when our guests do too!
We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Plaza and will see you next time!

Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Plaza Hotel Salt Lake
Two friends and I spent the week of Nov 17 in Salt Lake doing family history and once again we stayed at the Plaza Hotel. The rooms we were in were good. I was in a king bed on the 11th floor, overlooking the rail stop and Salt Center. It was very comfortable and clean. The rooms have a microwave and small frig. The bathroom is well stocked with shampoo and conditioner. The shower is one of those that has massive amounts of water flooding down on you. The shower head must have been seven feet up because I couldn’t reach it to turn it to one side, and one day the maid had turned it to clean and so when I turned it on, it soaked the floor and towels before I could turn it off. This is a small quibble. But I am older and more fearful now about taking showers so being able to control the water and its level would have been good. There is a small shop in the lobby that sells souvenirs, snacks, and drinks as well as drink machines on various floors. The shop for me was a lifesaver. I checked in feeling great and within a hour my throat was soar and I couldn’t speak. The shopkeeper got me fixed up with several items and I was able to keep going. My friends had a double room on the 10th and had good comments about it. Notice we are on different floors. This always bothers us about the Plaza. We made reservations several months ago and asked to be on the same floor, or better yet close to each other. No way, The hotel was only 17% full when we got there, but they were unable to place us near each other. This is the usual story. In 15 years of staying there, we have never gotten on the same floor!
The last few years have seen changes in this hotel for the better. The rooms we had were upgraded and the beds very comfortable. The lobby is also comfortable and has a large TV if one wants to watch there. Three are two computers in the lobby for those wanting to do airport check in, reading email and checking Google. A JB’s is attached to the hotel, which not upscale it serves the purpose. We stay here because you go out the back door, down the alley and you are in front of the Family History Library which is the gold standard for people doing genealogy. It rained, and even snowed a bit, yet we were able to get back and forth easily. Shuttle to airport is now on a schedule which threw us a bit but we adjusted. It use to be we stayed here just for convenience, now I would stay there because it is comfortable. Oh, if you go for more than a night or two, check on prices for a genealogy package. So many nights paid and you get one free. It is a great savings. We made one trip over to the new mall but it is all very upscale shops and not the casual shopping we use to be able to do.
Oh, one point that bothered me. The clock by the bed was wrong by more than 20 minutes and so for the first time in my life I was tardy or close to it. I couldn't figure out how to change it. The maid who spoke no English couldn't either. Turns out you have to make appointment with maintenance who has a key to open it and correct it. Again, small quibble but it was very bothersome each day trying to remember what the right time should be.

Room Tip: Higer rooms are quieter and the ones overlooking the light rail are larger.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Notanameilike,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad to hear you were able to take advantage of the many amenities the Plaza has to offer. You are right that we often have special Genealogy Packages available throughout the year which are great for the budget conscious traveler! Also, just to let you know for next time, while the new City Creek mall is more of an upscale shopping experience, we do also have the Gateway mall as well, which is two light rail stops away in the opposite direction. Here you can find stores that may be a bit more of what you were looking for.
Thank you also for your input on the rooms. I will be sure to pass the information along to my design team as we are continuing our remodel project throughout the year. Next time you're in town, please give me a call direct and I will do all that I can to get you and your friends rooms on the same floor! Everyone likes staying close to their friends, so I'd be happy to accommodate you! See you then!

asheville,nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

found while searching on several websites. I was looking for a place in salt lake but had no idea it was right smack downtown! People at desk were nice, room was clean with a view of the city. Had a refrig and micro. One of the reasons I picked this place is that the parking was like 5 bucks compared to some other hotels (with cheaper rates) but like 20$ daily parking. I didn't like staying in town. (too busy and noisy for me) so next morning I checked out and they let me keep my car in parked area while I walked around to check out the area. Very centrally located if you are interested in LDS. Nice shopping area (city centre) across the street and many restaurants. I would stay again IF I ever HAD to stay in salt lake again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear gypsyiam,

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to hear you were happy with our hotel and staff. We like to boast that our overnight guest parking is some of the most affordable in the city, so I'm glad that was a plus for you as well. We hope that if you ever make it back to SLC that you'll give us a call!

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Always enjoy the convenience of this hotel as I come to spend a week doing research next door at the LDS library. Had trouble with heat the first night I was there. Reported it to the desk and just ordered another blanket. Room was large and clean. Also enjoy having a microwave and refrig as I bring along a few food items for my breakfast. Otherwise I go to Navoo Café or the church office building cafeteria (wonderful selection!) for most of my meals. Nice to have free shuttle service to and from the airport too. I'm sure I will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Enjoy2travel,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that we were able to get the heat issue resolved for you. I'm also happy to hear that our complimentary shuttle and in room microwave and refrigerator were of use to you! Next time you're in town, you know who to call! We'll see you soon!

Front Office

Been to Salt Lake Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!