“A nice upgrade - but a caution” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 West South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Green Valley, Arizona
“A nice upgrade - but a caution”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed in an upgraded king and an upgraded queen on our recent stay at the plaza. We were very pleased with the upgraded queen room and will certainly stay in the queen rooms again - although our first choice is always a king-sized room. The Plaza is my favorite hotel in Salt Lake City, but I would never stay in the upgraded king room again. In this upgrade, the bed has been placed about a foot away from the heater/air conditioner. This means you have either cold air or heat blowing directly on you, making for a very uncomfortable condition. Our first night was extremely uncomfortable. We didn't want to sleep with cold air blowing directly on us and we were unable to open the patio door to allow cool air in the room as this door had been sealed shut. The room was advertised as having a patio... but what it really had a large window that looked onto a patio. I was happy that the hotel was able to find us another room the following day... otherwise I was ready to leave. I can not imagine why a designer would locate a bed directly next to an air conditioner when the couch and sitting area should have been located on this side of the room.

Room Tip: I would avoid the upgraded king rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Debra K,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that your first night in our king room was unpleasant, but happy to hear we were able to remedy the situation for you. I will definitely be passing your comments along to my design team, as we are still mid-renovation, so that they can take into consideration the issues you had in the room. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Also, with the balcony doors, per safety regulations, we are required to lock the doors after each guest. We are more than happy to send someone up to unlock the balcony for you, so next time, definitely let us know and we can get that done for you.
We hope to see you next time you're in town!

801-521-0130 x 2149

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The hotel is located right opposite to the major shopping center City Creek Center and the Temple Square. There is a light rail station right outside of the hotel. The Energy Center Arena is just a few minutes walk away. In terms of location, it is unbeatable.

The hotel facilities were old though. The decor was like a hotel in the early 80s. The room was however clean and tidy, though the light inside of the room was a bit dim.

Parking was $5 for 24 hours. I noticed that it has shuttle services. For a hotel of such a low rate, I would say it was value for money. My stay was a pleasant one.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ydenw,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location which is central to so many fun things in Salt Lake City! We are currently in the middle of a remodel project; upgrading things such as our guest rooms, hallways and common areas. Once the project is completed I'd love to have you come stay with us again so you can let me know what you think up the upgrades!
See you next time!

Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have stayed here on business each year for the last 3 years. It is across the street from The Salt Place Convention Center. Parking was only $5 per day for guests, which is great, considering I have paid up to $30 per day in some cities. Walking distance to lots of wonderful places to eat and shop. Rooms are very comfortable and the front desk staff are always very helpful and accommodating. I had booked a double queen room for our 5 night stay, but found that we were given a king. The staff quickly made the correction and moved us to a queen room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Patricia W,

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to hear you've been staying with us a for a few years now. It's great to hear when our customers have an enjoyable stay! We look forward to seeing you next time you're in town.

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We reserved a king room, when we arrived we were sent to a double queen. The clerk did not mention that we had reserved a king, but was giving us a double queen. I really didn't care except that I asked for and reserved a king room. The clerk should have told us the king rooms were all sold out. We could have then decided to stay or look elsewhere. I went back to the front desk and talked with another young man. He informed me all the king rooms were gone but because we had reserved a king room, he would upgrade us to the honey moon suite. This was totally unexpected. Had the first clerk informed us all the king rooms were sold out, I probably would have used the double queen. Also, I had my reasons for reserving a king room, I feel that once I make the reservation and the business accepts that reservation,I should get what I ask for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear steveb1953,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize about the room type mix up, but I'm glad they were able to get you upgraded to our honeymoon suite and I am glad to hear you liked our upgrade. I appreciate you letting me know because it gives me the opportunity to train my staff and make sure we are providing the best service we can to our guests. We hope to see you next time you are in town.

801-521-0130
Florida Space Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My husband and I were very pleased with this hotel. Location is ideal. Adjacent to public parking lot where hotel guests can park for 5.00 per day. We were in Salt Lake City for just a day and a half, but did a lot of sightseeing during that time and did not need to take the car out at all. We walked to excellent restaurants, shopping, etc. as well as many tourist sights from the hotel.
Our reservation had been made far in advance. When we arrived our room was ready for us, check in was quick, with very friendly staff on hand to assist us with questions we had regarding the area. The room, with 2 queen beds was on the 6th floor. It was very spacious and clean. Beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was large. It was very quiet and we had a wonderful night's rest. There is no bar or lounge in this hotel, but there are pubs and bars close by. There is a restaurant adjacent to the hotel where we had a delicious, and very reasonably priced breakfast. The hotel also offers shuttle service to and from the airport. We had a rental car, and were pleased that it was very easy to get to the airport from this location.
We had such a wonderful time during our short stay in Salt Lake City that we are sorry we were only there at the tail end of a longer vacation. We are looking forward to visiting again for a much longer stay and the Plaza will be the first hotel we will consider. We have never found a better value for such a nice hotel in any city we have visited before.

Room Tip: Our room (619) on the sixth floor was at the end of the hall. It was very quiet. Elevator from lob...
Dear Loucee,

Thank you for your comments. It sounds like you had such a fun trip! Next time you come to down, give me a call and I'll have to get you into one of our newer remodeled rooms. I think you'd enjoy those as well. Our staff loves being able to help our guests experience the best that Salt Lake City has to offer! See you next time!

Granite Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The location can not be beat if visiting Salt Lake City. The Temple Square is next door and we spent several hours touring the grounds which were immaculate and were more fabulously planted
planted than many botanical gardens. The different architecture of the various buildings was wonderful to view. Across the street is the newest most fabulous shopping area we have seen around the world called City Creek. Creeks, fountains,and flowers galore inundate this attractive center. The room was attractive and comfortable with upper end furnishings and bath fixtures and had a microwave and refrigerator, iron and board and hair dryer. We will definitely make this our home when visiting Salt Lake City

Room Tip: Stay in a newly refurbished room as high up as possible to avoid street noise
Dear Saturday8,

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our location by visiting all of the beautiful attractions within walking distance of our front door! I hope you had fun seeing all of the beautiful flowers and fountains. We will see you next time!

West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This Hotel we had one night would have liked two. We were on the 12th floor with a little balcony so able to look out over the city. The rooms were good with microwave and fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. The Gardens 2 minutes walk from the Hotel as so worth a visit, and if you happen to be there in a thursday the choir practice and you can go and listen, the Breakfasts you could not fault, and the staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor looking out where the trams runs, fabulous views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Plaza Hotel P, Front Office Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear JakiWestYorkshire,

Thank you for your comments. It's good to hear all of the fun things you were able to do by simply walking a few blocks from our front door! We're loving our newly remodeled rooms, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them. We will see you next time you're in town!

801-521-0130 x 2149

Been to Salt Lake Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!